Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #61
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum
i.e females were rougly twice as likely to breed as males.
Before you get all pouty about how unfair it must have been, keep in mind that 1.) male babies are physiologically weaker than females, and the infant mortality disparity would be even higher prior to modern medicine, and 2.) boys oftentimes like to go off and kill each other in wars, leading to even better ratios for the ones smart enough to survive.

Life back then could have been like being a straight male flight attendant, for all we know.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #62
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post

Life back then could have been like being a straight male flight attendant, for all we know.
?
?
?

I'm missing some point of reference.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #63
Clodfobble

One guy surrounded by women, that's all.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #64
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Pouty about unfair?

I'd be too busy beatin my baloney making love to my beautiful harem.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:58 AM   #65
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
You mean rushing around at everyone's beck and call and really having nowhere near as much fun as you'd hoped...?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:02 AM   #66
casimendocina
Professor

I heard Jack Thompson interviewed once (by my favourite interviewer ) and he was asked about his marriage to two women. His response was:
"You know how difficult it is to live with the woman that you're married to, well, double that."....oops...whose side am I on?
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:07 AM   #67
casimendocina
Professor

Excerpt from Andrew Denton's interview with Jack Thompson
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/...s/s1379785.htm

ANDREW DENTON: The Bohemian part of your life for which you are best known was in the seventies and into the eighties when you had a relationship with the sisters, Leona and Bunkie, which was a talking point for many years in Australia. How does that relationship work with two women?

JACK THOMPSON: It doesn't.

ANDREW DENTON: It did for 15 years.

JACK THOMPSON: But what happened in this relationship was what happens in a lot of relationships. Particularly when you are very young, you fall in love with someone and then you meet someone else and you kind of fall in love with them, too. How can you give all your love to someone and fall in love with someone else? My answer at the time was it's qualitative, not quantitative. My love isn't something you can get a bucketful of and that's it. It's a qualitative thing. You can love more than one person in your life. And what happens with most people is that they make the other relationship a secret and keep it hidden. When this relationship became apparent to the three of us, we all three sat there with tears and "how could you" and all of that over a period of an afternoon. We agreed that we would attempt to go on living the truth of this without ever lying about it for as long as it was tolerable.

ANDREW DENTON: Tell the truth: you must have walked away from that afternoon meeting of tears and just gone quietly somewhere, "Yeah!"

JACK THOMPSON: Well, that is the perceived truth, Andrew, but it's not necessarily. As I said to people later, you know how difficult it is to live with the woman you live with. Twice that. Twice as much joy maybe. But certainly the same amount of joy. Because it was always an individual, because it was always monogamous in that sense, because it was always one on one, it was always just that love for each other. I used to say, "Try coming home late and drunk. There is one at the front door and one at the back. So you don't get any room." They would gang up.

ANDREW DENTON: Of course. Let's put the boot on the other foot, though. If you had been in a relationship two guys to one woman, would you have been comfortable with that?

JACK THOMPSON: Yes.

ANDREW DENTON: Yes?

JACK THOMPSON: Yes, at that stage of my life, yes.

ANDREW DENTON: You are still with Leona after I think 15 years. Bunkie left.

JACK THOMPSON: Yes.

ANDREW DENTON: I can only imagine that was difficult for all three of you, her leaving?

JACK THOMPSON: It was. It was difficult but it was made less difficult because it was a relationship that over the last five years simply unravelled, so when the final parting came it wasn't as dramatic as it might have been.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:55 AM   #68
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
You mean rushing around at everyone's beck and call and really having nowhere near as much fun as you'd hoped...?
Or other people thought you were having.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #69
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Interesting discussion.

I am half way through reading Under the Banner of Heaven.

If you are really interested in this subject and how the Mormon religion began this is the place to start. The subject of plural marriage is a dominant part of the book.

It will shock you how this started and in comparison to where Mormonism is today it is remarkable that they came this far.

As in all religions, plural marriage is actually on the fringe of mainstream Mormonism today. But the story on how they got to that point is a pure fairy tale.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #70
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I am interested, Merc, and I'll be looking for it second hand.
If your copy will be going begging after you finish it, I'd be more than happy to send you the postage..?
Completely understand if not though.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #71
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I am interested, Merc, and I'll be looking for it second hand.
If your copy will be going begging after you finish it, I'd be more than happy to send you the postage..?
Completely understand if not though.
I would be happy to post it to you if you would like. Drop me a PM with the info and I will send it to you no cost to you. It would be my pleasure.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #72
TheMercenary

I must say that given the modern fairy tale start that Mormonism has and I can look past their core beliefs, they are some of the nicest people I have met and do some really good work in their mission jobs in third world countries. It is just to bad that they have to sell the fable and you have to believe to be equally respected. But I find the majority of religions to be no different.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #73
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'll PM you, Merc. Thanks for the generous offer.

I became interested in Mormonism thanks to an (intelligent and non-judgemental) article in one of our broadsheets.* It was a factual piece about Mormon suicides in Europe, and how young Americans - young men in this case - were sent to protelyse in Europe.
They had no experience outside of their own religion, being home-schooled or faith schooled.
They also came from the USA where the Christian faith is the norm and is revered, even being a political force.
Coming to England, where there is a state church, and the Queen is head of it, they were unable to deal with widespread and honest atheism, and/ or a reluntant attitude to organised religion.
The MAJORITY of Christians in this country do not complain about not being able to wear crosses (nurses and teachers for example, where health and safety is an issue), not being able to say "God bless" when working etc.
On the flip side there are public displays of religion paid for by the state.
And not only the state religion, in one part of the UK or another there pretty much every faith is represented.

So the poor teens/ early twenties sent over here are baffled. Succumb to some temptations. Question both the precepts of The Land of the Free and their own religious world view. And some of them think it's best to meet their maker while they still can with a clean sheet. Literally.

* the words and slant are all mine, and probably not unbiased
Old 03-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #74
kerosene
Touring the facilities

You can't say God Bless, there?

Most Christians I have met, here, view Mormons much differently than other Christians. Some of the more fundamentalist Christians view Mormonism as not even related to Christianity. (IME, of course.)

the few Mormons I have known were kind, honest type people.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #75
Clodfobble

In my experience most Christians, not just the fundamentalists, do not view Mormonism as related to Christianity in any way, shape, or form.