The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #16
Nirvana
Back in 10

Well I really looked in the last truck, its not exactly a conveyor belt. It has four separate pieces of flooring that have planks like giant piano keys they all move forward then about every other one moves back and they move forward then the others move back.

I have the tickets from the drivers and each truck here is carrying about 18,750 kgs, don't know how that compares to the weight of seeds.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #17
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Didn't that stuff just used to be called sileage? Thought it had been around for quite some time.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #18
Nirvana
Back in 10

Silage is entire corn plants, ears and all chopped straight out of the field.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #19
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I've learned something new today! Go, me!
Old 10-24-2008, 12:33 AM   #20
wolf
lobber of scimitars

They had a weird harvester in the corn field across from the nuthouse this year. It sucked the whole corn plant into the front end, then stripped and shucked the kernals off the ears and spewed out the chopped up leftovers back onto the field. When the hopper filled up, they drove the machine over to an open top truck and the kernals got spewed into it.

There is probably a far more technical way to describe this, but my buzz-words are pretty much all psych related.

One thing that was kind of neat is that the harvester was fitted with superbright lights so that they could keep working after sundown.

Every year when they harvest the corn I can't help but thinking of Mrs. Frisby.

During the night harvesting I always think of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and usually tell at least one cow orker that they're out in the field harvesting the pods again.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:45 AM   #21
SPUCK
Professor

Yeah, they use walking floor trucks here in CA as moving vans. They can unload the truck in about five minutes without getting out of the cab... Or even slowing down for that matter.

I kid.. I really did learn something on this thread.. I love that since I practically know everything - it's always nice to find some new tidbit.

Thanks, Nirvana.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:15 PM   #22
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Every year when they harvest the corn I can't help but thinking of Mrs. Frisby.
'Mrs. Frisby & The Rats of NIMH" was the first book I ever read (3rd grade). I'm so grateful for this book getting me into reading, that at 40, I still read it every five years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
We feed around a ton a day...30 cows
Wow. I never realized a cow eats almost seventy pounds per day.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:04 AM   #23
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Bah, in my day we had to unload the shucklage with pitch-forks. The whole village would turn out for the deschucklaging, like we used to say, and it was a long hard day, but it was worth it for the deshucklage ball that night.

And as for the schucking itself, well we had to do that by hand, and a terrible job it was. One time even old Father Murphy lost his temper with doing it and had a holy shucking fit.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:06 AM   #24
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

I remember that!