The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-21-2002, 11:20 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

12/21/2002: Ukrainian child abuse

In the Ukraine they believe that ice-cold showers, winter swimming, and just generally freezing is good for the health. It's a centuries-old tradition.

And so, these kiddies are waiting for their turn to have ice-cold water dumped on their head, as the outdoor temperature reaches -10 C (14 F).
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 11:36 AM   #2
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Shrinkage
Warning: the above link is over 900k (but worth it).
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 11:51 AM   #3
blase
Coronation Incarnate

Yea, and these kids are so hard-ass at 10 they'll beat your ass fierce!

Oh ya, I jump in a freezing lake on New Years (Boulder Polar Bear Club), but it ain't easy enough to do daily.
blase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 12:06 AM   #4
Slithy_Tove
Disorderly Orderly

Hm. Didn't the Spartans live the same way? They thought it built character or something. Who knows, maybe they were right. Maybe the Ukrainians are building the Master Race.

I, for one, welcome our new frozen Ukrainian overlords.

I doubt the kids are being harmed. Normal well kids have great circulation, great cardiovascular reserve, and seem to be happy at colder temperatures than adults. I'm not sure I'd advise this activity, but the kids in the picture don't seem especially unhappy.

A minor quibble: the country goes by the name of 'Ukraine', now that it's an independent nation. I know, it's hard to switch, after we've called it 'the Ukraine' for the last several centuries that it's been a vassal state to other European powers.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:21 AM   #5
dasviper
Belt Conveyor

If this system produces Ukranian women who wear miniskirts in negative 10 degree weather, then I'm all for it!
dasviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 05:27 PM   #6
hermit22
sleep.

I'd definately second that. That area of the world has some great looking women.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #7
Bikernut2
Neophyte-in-training

Smile Ukrainian child abuse

Perhaps if American children were given this frozen torture they would behave and do better in school. There would probably be less crime and we would raise decent human beings.
Bikernut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:07 PM   #8
seakdivers
Icy Queen

With my body, I would welcome some shrinkage. I did the polar dip a few years ago and I stayed the same size.
Hmmph.
seakdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:38 AM   #9
djacq75
Rational Anarchist

I'm glad I'm not Ukrainian, but to each his own. Lots of things we do in this country could be considered child abuse by people in other societies.
djacq75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #10
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithy_Tove
A minor quibble: the country goes by the name of 'Ukraine', now that it's an independent nation. I know, it's hard to switch, after we've called it 'the Ukraine' for the last several centuries that it's been a vassal state to other European powers.
Get your lessons from the Dept. of Slavic Studies.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:39 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikernut2
Perhaps if American children were given this frozen torture they would behave and do better in school. There would probably be less crime and we would raise decent human beings.
Welcome to the Cellar, Bikernut2.
How about we make them sit in ice water while they play Grand Theft Auto.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:24 PM   #12
sandypossum
tri-continental dag hag

A friend of mine married a Swedish guy and moved to Sweden. One winter when their first kid, Jesper, was about 2 he was at a birthday party. At some point all the kids went out into the snow, and - as kids do - they started stripping off their clothes and running around naked. None of the Swedish mothers seemed concerned. She said surely the kids should come in or put their clothes on, as otherwise they'd catch a cold. They all gave her a bemused look and carefully explained to her that colds are caused by a virus and not by temperatures. She said she felt like shouting "yes, I know that, but... but...!!" but instead she just bit her lip and let it go. And Jesper didn't catch a cold.

Here in Australia it's considered healthy for your feet if you walk around barefoot, even if it's cold (toughens you up, that sort of thing). I lived in Germany for 7 years, and my flatmates would have a fit if I walked around - in our carpetted, centrally heated, third floor flat - in bare feet. They said it would kill my kidneys if I did that. Another one that upset Germans was opening a window in a moving vehicle: car, bus or train. Again, because it would kill your kidneys. It didn't matter if it was stiflingly hot inside AND outside the vehicle. "Better to suffocate than to die like THAT!" an old lady screamed at me one day. Even doctors there told me that was a fact.

Makes you wonder just how many of our ailments really are psychosomatic - I'm SURE if I jumped through a hole in the ice for a swim it would kill me!
Old 02-28-2006, 11:15 PM   #13
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

It was something that best wrestlers always did after a long hot practice. Last thing was to turn off hot water - run the shower ice cold. That shock considered essential since every good wrestler did it. I don't know. But when I started doing cold showers, I achieved their position. Superstition? Probably. But that shock of cold water did eliminate fatigue and the pain.

How painful? The coach recruited 120. In three weeks of brutal workouts, that number was down to less than 40. Even many 'in shape' soccer and football players quit early. That 45 degree water was considered necessary to be good.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:17 AM   #14
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I don't think that's good, tw. It's too much of a shock. Like gunning your car down the highway, then throwing it into reverse.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:01 AM   #15
chrisinhouston
Professor

I'd forgotten this IOTD. I think the best part, aside from the anticipation on the kids faces is the outfit the lady is wearing; leather boots with heels and a miniskirt, looks like someone from a game show.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote