The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-16-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

8/16/2006: Image backlog clearing

It's that time again: time for a few items that I saved off and never used for whatever reason.

These beasts are all over where I live right now. The official cap: A cicada sheds its exoskeleton as it perches on a Norway maple tree in Hummelstown, Pennsylvania.

An xoB suggestion, this gent is participating in some sort of condom festival in Qixi, China. Or he's popping a big zit on his lip, I can't tell.

This two-mouthed pig is interesting, but we've had a bunch of two-headed and one-eyed things at this point, maybe too many. They're still mind-boggling, just not AS mind-boggling as before.

Same goes for three-armed children.

This mud bath is an interesting shot, but not much else. I was kind of intrigued by the idea of a mud bath, but why? Why do you get one? Has anyone here had one?

These queen ants are interesting for the color composition, and also because they are being sold for eating in Colombia. The accompanying story suggested that "gourmands" from other countries are taking an interest in eating them. Well that's just fine; I'll take the pan-seared tuna in sesame/soy sauce marinade with wasabi, that Jackie and I made last weekend, and they can have ANTS.

Finally, this seagull has taken its own gourmand approach.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
axlrosen
Major Inhabitant

Somewhere, some IOTD reader will some day direct a horror film, and will include one scene inspired by that first image.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Cicadas on a Plane -- I think that opens Friday with Samuel L. Jackson.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:21 AM   #4
charmzny
Disorderly Disciplinarian

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by axlrosen
Somewhere, some IOTD reader will some day direct a horror film, and will include one scene inspired by that first image.

Yup, I can see another 'Aliens' movie on its way.....
charmzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
findpolitics
Long Time Listener, First Time Caller

That pig one makes me ... barf.

I really like the seagull one ... but I am not sure why.
findpolitics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Tasty green insects again!

I have had a mud bath at a spa, the minerals are supposed to be good for the skin. It was exactly as you would expect really, warm and gloopy. My skin did feel wonderfully soft afterwards, but then I was also fully exfoliated, so it may have been that.

I've also eaten ants. I can't remember what species they were, but there was a deli in London that I used to visit with my Grandparents. They tasted meaty as I remember - not what I expected.

I had some sort of deep fried insect too - I can't remember what it was, I don't think it was an insect I was familiar with at the time. It was very crunchy anyway. All I remember that tasting of was batter.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
I've also eaten ants. I can't remember what species they were, but there was a deli in London that I used to visit with my Grandparents. They tasted meaty as I remember - not what I expected.
I ate a couple ants a week or two ago. They are very active and keep coming into our house. I was eating lunch with the family and ants were coming up onto the dining room table. So a grabbed a couple of them and threw them into my mouth as I chewed my sandwich. Mostly just to amuse the kids and make my wife roll her eyes.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:57 AM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
So a grabbed a couple of them and threw them into my mouth as I chewed my sandwich. Mostly just to amuse the kids
You're a weird dude.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:39 PM   #10
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

You'll want to make certain you don't make any spelling errors if you ever tell anyone that you have recently eaten a couple of your a(u)nts.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:12 PM   #11
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Some time ago, during the year of a cycle where there are many locusts (that's what we call them, is it the same as cicadas?) my brother gathered up a bunch of locust shells and constructed a football game. Opposing teams set in formation (he was a graduate assistant football coach at the time...I mean American football) complete with coaches and sidelines. It was quite funny.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #12
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Locusts are actually more like grasshoppers, but the 17-year cicadas are often called locusts because when they come out it's similar to a locust swarm.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:48 PM   #13
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I ate a couple ants a week or two ago. They are very active and keep coming into our house. I was eating lunch with the family and ants were coming up onto the dining room table. So a grabbed a couple of them and threw them into my mouth as I chewed my sandwich. Mostly just to amuse the kids and make my wife roll her eyes.
The ants had just come from a visit to the pile of dogshit just outside.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:26 PM   #14
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
The ants had just come from a visit to the pile of dogshit just outside.
Well the guy who baked the bread and processed the sandwich contents had most likely just scratched his ass.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:46 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Only 14 posts to degenerate to dogshit and ass scratching. Makes a Mother proud.