The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-13-2018, 09:51 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Tale of Two States, as knitted by Madame Defarge

Quote:
Since the 2010 election of Governor Scott Walker in Wisconsin and Governor Mark Dayton in Minnesota, lawmakers in these two neighboring states have enacted vastly different policy agendas. Governor Walker and the Wisconsin state legislature have pursued a highly conservative agenda centered on cutting taxes, shrinking government, and weakening unions. In contrast, Minnesota under Governor Dayton has enacted a slate of progressive priorities: raising the minimum wage, strengthening safety net programs and labor standards, and boosting public investments in infrastructure and education, financed through higher taxes (largely on the wealthy).
Guess who's citizens made out better?

Quote:
Job growth since December 2010 has been markedly stronger in Minnesota than Wisconsin, with Minnesota experiencing 11.0 percent growth in total nonfarm employment, compared with only 7.9 percent growth in Wisconsin. Minnesota’s job growth was better than Wisconsin’s in the overall private sector (12.5 percent vs. 9.7 percent) and in higher-wage industries, such as construction (38.6 percent vs. 26.0 percent) and education and health care (17.3 percent vs. 11.0 percent).

From 2010 to 2017, wages grew faster in Minnesota than in Wisconsin at every decile in the wage distribution. Low-wage workers experienced much stronger growth in Minnesota than Wisconsin, with inflation-adjusted wages at the 10th and 20th percentile rising by 8.6 percent and 9.7 percent, respectively, in Minnesota vs. 6.3 percent and 6.4 percent in Wisconsin.

Gender wage gaps also shrank more in Minnesota than in Wisconsin. From 2010 to 2017, women’s median wage as a share of men’s median wage rose by 3.0 percentage points in Minnesota, and by 1.5 percentage points in Wisconsin.

Median household income in Minnesota grew by 7.2 percent from 2010 to 2016. In Wisconsin, it grew by 5.1 percent over the same period. Median family income exhibited a similar pattern, growing 8.5 percent in Minnesota compared with 6.4 percent in Wisconsin.

Minnesota made greater progress than Wisconsin in reducing overall poverty, child poverty, and poverty as measured under the Census Bureau’s Supplemental Poverty Measure. As of 2016, the overall poverty rate in Wisconsin as measured in the American Community Survey (11.8 percent) was still roughly as high as the poverty rate in Minnesota at its peak in the wake of the Great Recession (11.9 percent, in 2011).

Minnesota residents were more likely to have health insurance than their counterparts in Wisconsin, with stronger insurance take-up of both public and private health insurance since 2010.

From 2010 to 2017, Minnesota has had stronger overall economic growth (12.8 percent vs. 10.1 percent), stronger growth per worker (3.4 percent vs. 2.7 percent), and stronger population growth (5.1 percent vs. 1.9 percent) than Wisconsin. In fact, over the whole period—as well as in the most recent year—more people have been moving out of Wisconsin to other states than have been moving in from elsewhere in the U.S. The same is not true of Minnesota.
You can dig into the details here.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

It's been sad watching Wisconsin these last years. I've got family in both states.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:48 AM   #3
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
It's been sad watching Wisconsin these last years.
We have not yet seen the coming economic damage. Most damage created by cost controls occurs maybe ten years later. Damage created by tax cuts is maybe seven plus years later.

Wisconsin is playing a classic business school money game. The expression "pay me now or pay me later" applies. Extremist love to ignore many lessons from history. Because the central party (ie Laura Ingle) has told them what to believe. One would expect a latest lesson (from tea party lies) would have been learned. Or that cost controlling teachers has been good for America.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #4
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Walker SUX.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote