The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 02-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Roasted Vegetable leftovers

Ok, so I have roasted veggie leftovers from when I made a roasted veggie pizza. The thought of eating them just by themselves makes me gag so I was going to try a chicken shepherd's pie type thing, but I need some help. I asked for help on my stupid Weight Watchers board, but all they did was tell me different ways to eat them. I was hoping the cooks here could help me.

Here's the idea:
Chicken, veggies (consisting of peppers, onions, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, potatoes) in a ramekin and topped with mashed potatoes.

Questions:

Would you put some kind of liquid in with the chicken and veggies say broth or cream of chicken soup?

I am not going to be making the mashed potatoes from scratch and wonder if the instant or the steam and mash would be better.

Or is there something else that you would top it with? Maybe a crust to make a roasted vegetable chicken pot pie?

Thanks for the help!
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I'd probably put some sort of liquid in there, broth, cream of chicken, cream of veg (any sort) would be good, but not too much so's not to swamp the thing.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I'd probably put some sort of liquid in there, broth, cream of chicken, cream of veg (any sort) would be good, but not too much so's not to swamp the thing.
I'm not qualified to comment on the potatoes - I'm not acquainted with "steam and mash" ...
Old 02-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I would definitely put a liquid in with the chicken. Some broth and cream, or broth and melted butter if you're feeling decadent.

Never done the "steam and mash" type of potatoes, but I have put instant potatoes on Shepherd's Pie before and they come out good enough--about the same as instant potatoes taste coming fresh out of the pot, I mean.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
bbro

Thanks for all the input. I knew I would actually get intelligent answers here. Hmm, broth and cream. Maybe broth and half and half would work. I have some leftover that I need to use.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Did it come out ok?
Old 02-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I have a document with 200-300 lowfat crockpot recipes. I sent a copy to Cloud last year. A lot of the recipes include points, but this might be under the old weight watchers system so you might have to recalculate. It's not indexed, so you would have to search for ingredients.

PM me your e-mail and I'll send you a copy. Specify Microsoft Word or Rich Text Format.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
bbro

Griff - I haven't made it yet. It is rescheduled for Sunday Dinner. I will let you know.

Rich - I have that document already - I am working my way through it to fix the formatting....also to wait until there is no one in the office so I can print it out and organize it at home.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think Weight Watchers would frown on anything involving cream ... sounds yum, though.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:10 AM   #10
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

But WW would go with reduced fat cream of whatever soup. See the Latest Recipe Thread (needs a new entry to bump it, I know) for a nonfat cream-o-whatever soup base from Heloise's hints column.