The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-20-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
Cloud

Twilight tickets are sold out

for tomorrow night at both my town's movie theaters. Daughter No. 1 already has hers, and is planning to get there two hours ahead
Old 11-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Cloud

if y'all don't know what this is, you're out of the loop
Old 11-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I know *, but it doesn't really affect me.
Except that there's a British actor in it. Go England!

*And that's only thanks to heat magazine.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm out of the loop. But if I had to guess, I'd say it has something to do with this week's South Park episode about "gay poser preppy wannabe vampire losers."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #5
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

I actually attended a midnight showing (and got my ticket two weeks in advance...) and had a pretty good laugh about how awful the movie turned out to be. As student-teachers, several of my friends and I got sucked in to the series through our Adolescent Literature class and so were among the many fangirls lined up outside to see the movie. The books are a nice, melodramatic "popcorn" type read, but I think too much was lost in the book-> movie transition.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Before I start out I want to make it clear that you if are a teenager/tween and are excited to go see Twilight more power to you. Enjoy it, have a great time, you will eventually grow past this stage in your life and look back at your pop culture choices with disappointment. We all do it… It is part of growing up. (I owned a Vanilla Ice CD…)

However if you are an adult shame on you, you have the IQ of a squeezable ketchup bottle and deserve to have a car battery shocking your testicles or ovaries. By supporting a lame book that is the literary equivalent of High School Musical 3 and a movie that looks like a low-grade snuff film maker shot it you allow these crappy trends to continue.

The cultural production geared towards teens is at an all time low. Millennials are having the worst shit ever produced for their age group. Worse than any other time except for the late 70s/early 80s. Everything is prepackaged, targeted for a certain market, and will have zero lasting cultural impact. Unlike other eras that brought us Elvis, the Beatles, John Hughes movies, rap, and Molly Ringwald, there is nothing lasting that is being produced today. The fact that adults are buying these items and lining up for midnight shows of a movie that has a 44 rating on Rotten Tomatoes is sad to me.

There is nothing wrong with liking cheesy shit. Soap operas, reality television, romance novels, NASCAR, anything written by Dan Brown, and the music of anyone ever associated with the band Creed all can be justified on some level. Cheesy crap meant for adults… It is all good. Watching classic movies that bond you with your childhood like ET and the Wizard of Oz or reading books like Bunnicula is understandable. They are timeless classics with wide appeal. But when adults fall for cheesy shit designed to tug on the heartstrings of a 14 year old tween girl I lose faith in humanity. Why not just go buy a Jonas Brothers Album and watch Gossip Girl while waiting for your phone to ring and someone to acknowledge your empty existence.

Now excuse me while I go and sit down to watch the entire “Charles in Charge” series box set.

BTW, you shouldn’t brag about reading Harry Potter either.
Link
Old 11-23-2008, 12:25 AM   #7
Cloud

Daughter No. 1, who has many fine qualities but is not a reader, actually read a fiction book. Several. That makes me happy no matter how crap the book is. I'm reading it myself, so I can talk to her. I'm halfway through--it's not bad. So far, not great, but pretty good.

Movies have their own problems.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:39 AM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I mentioned in Books You're Currently Reading that I read the first book at the behest of a cow orker.

I don't understand how that poorly written melodramatic crap became popular.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:48 AM   #9
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

I asked a few of the girls I've been teaching at the high school what they like about they series. Responses included things like "Bella (the main character) talks like we do" and "it's like Romeo and Juliet." Some of these students have never finished a book cover to cover before in their lives, so if Twilight is what it takes to get them reading, then so be it. Hopefully it'll serve as a bridge towards better books.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #10
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Thanks, Bruce, I love a good diatribe.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The link has the opposing view.

Tags
books, movies