The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-26-2003, 06:07 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Local Author/Artist - G. Garfield Crimmins

A few months ago I picked up a strange book in the discount bin. I think it was Borders, but it might have been Barnes & Noble.

The title was 'The Republic of Dreams'. The author is G. Garfield Crimmins, who is described as 'an artist living in Pennsylvania'. In his picture in the flyleaf, he is bald with a mustache and goatee and looks a little like Vladimir Lenin.

The book is interesting in that it about a place reachable in ones dreams, where a person can lead a double life. This theme has been in other books, but the Republic is interesting because of its French and art-deco style. It also has props built into the book, like a pocket with a removable passport, postcards, envelopes built into the binding with removable telegrams, and an actual 'artistic license', which supports the books premise that, since the Republic is built of dreams, artists are a highly respected professional class there.

There are lots of sepia-colored photos including a lot of tasteful nude photographs in a 1920's style. The book itself is a sort of travelogue-spy thriller. The plot is lame and serves mostly to take the reader through the Republic.

It's a cute concept and a very odd book. I think Crispin wrote himself as the books protagonist, because one of the photos is of him in a Panama hat, dark jacket, Bermuda shorts and cane arm-in-arm with a beautiful topless woman in a sarong with a shawl draped across her shoulder and neck and fringes or beads dropping down to her chest.

It looks like part of the book was paid for by an NEA grant.

The book listed for $22 but I think I paid $4 or 5 for it.

I have two questions about the book and author.

1) Does anyone here know Mr. Crimmins?
2) In real life does he come across as an eccentric person? Did he write/design the book sober?
3) What is the procedure to have the NEA fund a project involving an individual taking pictures of himself next to partially or totally nude beautiful women? Inquiring minds want to know!
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 07-26-2003 at 06:09 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:31 AM   #2
Annebonannie
Paramour of Paradigm

who knows? Where do I get a copy?
Annebonannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
Nadja la Claire
Kinda New Member

Hello, I can tell you what you want to know about G. Garfield Crimmins. I am his widow. Jerry died last year from a rare form of cancer.

Yes Jerry wrote the book sober. Well mostly.

Yes he was as eccentric in life.

He did not receive an NEA for the book, although he did receive an NEA some years before.

And FYI I am the woman in the photo. Thank you for the compliment.

I hope I've been of help.

Nadja (Claire)
Nadja la Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Welcome Nadja!

and thanks for the information.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Wow. Stick around long enough and all questions are answered!
I add my thanks for your response Nadja, and sorry to hear of your loss.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Welcome to the Cellar, Nadja. Condolences on your loss.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
smaguire
Kinda New Member

Yes, I knew Mr. Crimmins, he was my teacher at Moore College of Art my freshman year. (1972) I am now a teacher and employ many of the teaching strategies that he used thirty seven years ago, they still work! Classical music in the morning, and contemporary in the afternoon. The volume was just so that you could hear it, if you were quiet and working. Twenty boxed sketches a day in your sketchbook, drawn with a rapidograph, black ink, were turned in weekly. He was strict but fair, very interesting to listen to and taught me the foundations of drawing that I still use today. He was one of my best and memorable teachers at Moore.
smaguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:22 AM   #8
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

*Smiles* smaguire that's lovely. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Oh and welcome to the cellar. Feel free to stick around, but be careful: not all doors in the cellar lead to nice places...:P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #9
danie
Kinda New Member

i know him. that's because he was my grandfather. I loved him so much and wish he was still with us today. his art was amazing and I'm so glad that before he passed he was able to paint something for me. he was the best grandfather I could have ever had and I'm so grateful he was there for me when I needed him, and was able to give my father a home while he was going through divorce with my mom. his house was amazing and fascinating. I wish he was still with us today but I know he is always looking down at me and smiling!
danie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

That's very cool, Danie.

The internet is a wonderful thing at times, ain't it not?

to The Cellar!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #11
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Welcome to all the new dwellers.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books