The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 02-19-2004, 04:53 PM   #106
Torrere
a real smartass

A) Have you read The Genealogy of Morals? I am currently reading this book and find it to contain many 'awesome moments of philosophy'.

'Must not our actually German word gut (good) mean "the godlike, the man of godlike race"? and be identical to the national name (originally the noble's name) of the Goths?'

B) From your blurb, I couldn't actually figure out where he claimed that morals come from. Amazon gave me a better idea of it, and given the names (Micheal Shermer, Steven Pinker) I assume that it is more credible than I first thought.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 05:12 PM   #107
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

This thread is too good to let disappear!

Has anyone hear read A Fire Upon the Deep, by Vernor Vinge? While I'm not currently reading it, I think it is the next book I am going to read, when I finish slogging threw Narnia.

I've read it once before, and it is in my top twenty books of all time, maybe even top ten.

One thing I was thinking, was that we could try something along the lines of the cd exchange with books. I don't mean we set up a chain and send books, I mean maybe we can all agree on a book to read every month, and we can have a forum to discuss it. Hmm...
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 06:43 PM   #108
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast
This thread is too good to let disappear!

Has anyone hear read A Fire Upon the Deep, by Vernor Vinge? While I'm not currently reading it, I think it is the next book I am going to read, when I finish slogging threw Narnia.

I've read it once before, and it is in my top twenty books of all time, maybe even top ten.
That book rocks!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2004, 07:24 PM   #109
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff

That book rocks!!!!!!!!!
Oh Yes! I love the well thought out aliens that basically have brains that are a distributed networks. (Vinge is a computer science guy)
But my favorite idea out of the book is the way Vinge structures the galaxy. I've read a lot of science fiction, and I've never run into an idea quite like his.

And I just looked at my earlier post and saw two errors that would make my english teacher cringe.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:53 PM   #110
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by Torrere
A) Have you read The Genealogy of Morals? I am currently reading this book and find it to contain many 'awesome moments of philosophy'.

'Must not our actually German word gut (good) mean "the godlike, the man of godlike race"? and be identical to the national name (originally the noble's name) of the Goths?'

B) From your blurb, I couldn't actually figure out where he claimed that morals come from. Amazon gave me a better idea of it, and given the names (Micheal Shermer, Steven Pinker) I assume that it is more credible than I first thought.
Sorry for the delay in responding, lost in the wash and all that...

I'll have to look it up.

You have to like a guy whose organization has Penn Jilette (sp) on his board.

Edit: went back and answered the first point
Old 03-07-2004, 08:12 AM   #111
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I'm getting desperate.

"One Hundred Years of Solitude". Supposed to be this literary masterpiece. Nobel prize winning author.

I'm over 300 pages in, and I don't get it.

The names are mostly the same, which gets very confusing after the first 3 generations, and the writing style is jumbled and goes from present to future to past with very little segue.

This is supposed to be the best book he's written. And I still don't get it.

Has someone else read this? Can you tell me what I'm missing?

edit: corrected the spelling of segue.

Last edited by OnyxCougar; 03-07-2004 at 02:36 PM.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:34 PM   #112
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
I never thought of Narnia as a slog ... you reading them in the "traditional" order, or the "order of events" order?

Your mentioning A Fire Upon the Deep caused a disused synapse to fire, and one rummage and book avalanche later, it turns out that I have a copy I never got around to reading. A friend of mine thrust it into my hands in a book store some years back and said "buy this." I did, but never got around to reading it. I'll have to do so now.

(I also found out during this that I appear to have both the paperback and the hardback of "slippage" by Harlan Ellison.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:52 PM   #113
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf

I never thought of Narnia as a slog ... you reading them in the "traditional" order, or the "order of events" order?

It just seems to be going a bit slow. I'm reading them in the order the books are numbered. Lion, Witch..., Caspian, Dawn Treader.

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf

A friend of mine thrust it into my hands in a book store some years back and said "buy this."

That's very funny, because I did exactly the same thing to a friend of mine. I though it would be his type of book, so I was pretty ticked off when he gave up reading it saying he wasn't getting into it. He said he didn't like Vinge's style of throwing you into what is going on, and then only bit by bit explaining what the hell is going on. Funny, that was one of the things I liked about Fire Upon the Deep.

So wolf, just be aware that there will be times in the book (up to about half way) when things don't completely make sense, expect to understand it all later.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:18 PM   #114
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar
One of my favorite books is "Flowers for Algernon". I love that book.
Great book and very good movie. Cliff Robertson nailed it. Some books can make you cry. The scene where he drops in on his teacher after regressing is a tear jerker.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 09:33 AM   #115
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Originally posted by OnyxCougar
Quote:
I'm getting desperate.

"One Hundred Years of Solitude". Supposed to be this literary masterpiece. Nobel prize winning author.

I'm over 300 pages in, and I don't get it.

Has someone else read this? Can you tell me what I'm missing?
I don't think you are missing anything. A college English prof recommended that book to me so I bought it, read about 50 or so pages, and tossed it away. It sucked. I remember having the same problem you are having: who are these people, what's going on, where am I, what is he talking about, etc.

Sometimes, these masterpeices are masterpieces for reasons other than "its a really gripping page-turner" or "what a really insightful point of view he has" or some other sound byte reason. I never figured it out, shrugged my shoulders and forgot about it until now. That was 27 years ago.

I read enough of that stuff during college - from Hegel to a whole cadre of deconstructionists who can write the most tortured prose imaginable. I'll take a page turner or a good sci-fi or whatever over that stuff anytime.

I just got to the point where I figured my time was more important than figuring out why a book I couldn't stand to read was really important.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:47 AM   #116
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I just listened to the audio version of Crichton's Prey, the nano-technology thriller.

Before you torch me for "reading" Crichton, my neighborhood branch library has a limited selection of books on cassette that I can listen to in my car during my long commute.

Bottom line: Chaos theory meets Pandora's box done to the tune of undercooked chicken. Literally, Jurassic park but with molecule-sized villians and a lot more of them. It wasn't thrilling and no one, not even an "out-of-ideas-Hollywood," will ever make a movie of it.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:49 AM   #117
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
It just seems to be going a bit slow. I'm reading them in the order the books are numbered. Lion, Witch..., Caspian, Dawn Treader.
You must have an older publication. The recent publications rearranged the order.

I just reread my three Moomintroll books (Finn Family Moomintroll, Moominland Midwinter, Moominvalley in November). Those are fun.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 11:44 AM   #118
jaguar
whig

Fydor Dostoevski's Crime and Punishment.

Both painful, utterly excruciating. Fantatstic piece of writing, brilliantly crafted. Makes me want to learn russian to read the original. Neil Stepherson's Suicksilver is on the todo but too daunting list.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:00 PM   #119
glatt

Just finished Quicksilver last week. It's not quite as good as Cryptonomicon, but I think that's because Crypro really stands on its own. Quicksilver is part 1 of 3. I think it's building the foundation for the rest of the series. I've been dropping hints liek crazy that I want the next book for my birthday next month. It's coming out at the end of April.

Anyone else notice that Stephenson really seems to change his writing style from chapter to chapter. Some are real fast paced page turners, and others are real dry technical ones. Both are good, but the switching back and forth from one style to another is sometime abrupt. I realize the style usually changes as he follws one character over another, but sometime the style changes when writing about the same character.

I really enjoyed Stephenson's earlier works. Diamond Age and Snow Crash were outstanding.

Last edited by glatt; 03-25-2004 at 02:02 PM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 02:10 PM   #120
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally posted by glatt
Just finished Quicksilver last week. It's not quite as good as Cryptonomicon, but I think that's because Crypro really stands on its own. Quicksilver is part 1 of 3.
That's (along with the ton of unread books staring at me) why I'm waiting until they're all out to read them. I hate waiting for the rest of the story.

When will the next "Song of Ice and Fire" be out?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books