The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 03-31-2015, 08:42 PM   #76
monster
I hear them call the tide

no, but now she wishes she'd applied to more realistic level schools out of state. The one she applied to -her back-up back-up waitlisted her (and everyone else with a high GPA apparently) oh well.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:28 AM   #77
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

U of M would mean living at home I guess, but state would be too far to commute wouldn't it? But still close enough to run home for money.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #78
monster

no, she'd still live in dorms
Old 04-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #79
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
U of M would mean living at home I guess, but state would be too far to commute wouldn't it? But still close enough to run home for money.
money moves electronically today. the trips home are for laundry and food.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #80
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes but it often takes whining and moaning in person to stimulate that money transfer.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #81
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

This young lady rejected her rejection letter from Duke U.
Attached Images

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #82
monster

ha.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #83
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I loved living on campus my first year and a half (I was an RA for the last semester). It was cool to meet new people and get out in a world away from home.

I don't know how it is at Michigan, but at Kansas, tuition is expensive for even in-state kids and the dorms are also pricey. The kids I know that go there live off-campus.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #84
monster

University of Michigan Honors ...or so her facebook says
Old 05-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #85
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

University of Michigan at Ann Arbor ranks #27.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #86
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I've heard a lot of, "there's a recession, no jobs, better go to college regardless of cost." OK, that's a plan. Now what do you major? You don't want huge debt and a sheepskin that you can only use to soak up grease from the fries you're salting.

Quote:
In 2009 the U.S. graduated 37,994 students with bachelor’s degrees in computer and information science. This is not bad, but we graduated more students with computer science degrees 25 years ago! The story is the same in other technology fields such as chemical engineering and math and statistics.

If students aren’t studying science, technology, engineering and math, what are they studying?

In 2009 the U.S. graduated 89,140 students in the visual and performing arts, more than in computer science, math and chemical engineering combined and more than double the number of visual and performing arts graduates in 1985.

So what has happened since 2009? The good news is that enrollment in STEM fields has increased dramatically. The number of graduates with computer science degrees, for example, has increased by 34%, chemical engineering degrees are up by a whopping 49.5% and math and statistics degrees have increased by 32%.

The bad news is that we are still graduating more students in the visual and performing arts than in computer science, math and chemical engineering combined. As I said in Launching nothing wrong with the visual and performing arts but those are degrees which are unlikely to generate spillovers to society.

We are also graduating more students in communications and journalism than in computer science, math and chemical engineering combined and more students in psychology than in computer science, math and chemical engineering combined. Here’s what I said about psychology:

In 2009 we graduated 94,271 students with psychology degrees at a time when there were just 98,330 jobs in clinical, counseling and school psychology in the entire nation. The latter figure isn’t new jobs — it’s total jobs!

Despite these problems, the number of psychology degrees conferred annually has increased since 2008-2009 by an astounding 21.4%! Visual and performing arts degrees have increased by 9.7% and communication and journalism degrees are up 8.1%. Do you think that jobs in these fields have gone up by equal percentages?

Stated differently, in 2012-2013 we graduated 20,418 more students in computer science, chemical engineering and math and statistics than we did in 2008-2009 but we also graduated 20,179 more students in psychology alone! We have a long way to go.
link
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #87
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

They say the major is soaring right now

I can tell you for sure, in 1985 it was a money rush. That's a balloon number. The major didn't even exist at most colleges five years earlier. Big segment of money-grubbing assholes in my crew. Yessir I can tell you for sure
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #88
monster

Hebe's probably going to major in Archeology.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:45 PM   #89
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

In 1965 I took Fortran at night, in a classroom set up in a Boston office building. I figured the guy teaching it must be really old because he had a quarter sized bald spot on the back of his head. He told us this school had been set up because none of the "real schools", and there's a shitload around Boston, taught this stuff. This was the future and computers(with our guidance), would rule the world before the "real schools" caught up.

I wish I could remember what it cost. Couldn't have been much, not more than $150, and came with real soft bound books, although one was a mostly blank workbook. Figured that was a bargain to rule the world, and I was already making a list of people to execute.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:02 PM   #90
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Spencer got accepted to Widener, and got a $96,000 grant to boot. Chemist.

The 96/4 years is 24k of the 40 they charge. Add 13k for housing. Still a big pill.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote