The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #46
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Sad ploy? That's reality, pregnant women crossing the border, having babies here.

Wasn't it white racists that enacted, and enforced with vigor every day, all those Jim Crow laws?
My point exactly.

And don't draw parallels between people who enacted Jim Crow Laws, White Racist Extremists, and those who are opposed to illegal immigration. Stop dancing around the issue and using comparisons that have nothing to do with each other, because those who enacted the Jim Crow laws were White Racist Extremists, and those who oppose illegal immigration are nothing of the kind.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #47
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
We should both try harder next time because the immigration policies could be a good discussion.
I agree, just don't call those who oppose illegal immigration something like those who enacted Jim Crow Laws, who were by and large White Racist Extremists.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #48
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Awww Merc, that's a sad ploy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter
OK, so the pregnant woman is "reality".
Wait, I am confused, which is it? A sad ploy that is not relevant or a "reality".
Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #49
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

I'm following you Lamplighter and not having any problem with your direction.

For the pregnant women crossing borders thing to have any weight in this discussion, you need to show that some significant percentage of children born to aliens come from border jumping women for that express purpose.

Otherwise the issue is just a distraction from the original topic. Which was, I think, Lamplighters meaning when he called it a ploy. He caught Merc palming a card.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #50
TheMercenary

It was not "palming a card", it was a question of degree. You support A, does that mean you support every extreme of the situation?
Old 01-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #51
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Here is a video for you...
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4000446n

Or you can read this article
or this one

read what you like here as well

Lastly I'll offer you this piece
...all done with a simple Google search in under 10 minutes.

Nothing new - this has been going on for over a decade.

Personally, I do not see this as a ploy by Merc, definitely one used by some illegal illegals though. It is just an inconvenient reality for some.

Last edited by classicman; 01-02-2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Edited to clarify last sentence.
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #52
TheMercenary

I agree, but with the exception of the actually "drop and stay". Or "stay and drop", which ever you prefer...

Quote:
It's true that many illegal immigrants are having children in the U.S. However, we are not convinced that "drop and leave" is a phenomenon. The data suggests that the motivator for illegal immigrants is the search for work and a better economic standing over the long term, not quickie citizenship for U.S.-born babies.
Bottom line is this:

Quote:
These statistics suggest not only that the number is large, but is also growing.

To offer a concrete example, we found a 2006 article from the Dallas Morning News about Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, a safety-net facility for poor residents. As many of 70 percent of the roughly 16,000 women giving birth annually at the hospital were immigrants who were in the U.S. illegally, according to one survey cited in the story.
I see it more as another wedge issue by Republickins but it has validity if you have concerns about stemming the tide of illegal immigration, which I do, and if you do not support whole scale amnesty programs, and I do not.

(all from link #4 above)
Old 01-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #53
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
For the pregnant women crossing borders thing to have any weight in this discussion, you need to show that some significant percentage of children born to aliens come from border jumping women for that express purpose.
No, you only have to show there are kids being born to women that are here illegally, and thats pretty easy because there's a shitload of them. It's impossible to separate the ones that jump the border when they're due because they want an anchor baby, from the ones that want free & better hospital care.

Easy cure, just keep a van at the hospital and as soon as they discharge mom, drive her ass to the border. But the kid's a citizen, you say? Right, we'll be keeping the kid. We could rent them to child molesters until they're old enough to work, then sell the surplus in the middle east. I have a feeling this plan is not sustainable though.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:17 AM   #54
TheMercenary

I would also add that we should bill their home country for the care they receive. Because they do not have insurance and generally cannot pay for the care, so bill their government.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #55
jinx
Come on, cat.

Makes no sense that illegals are automatically treated to the standard drugged up 2 day stay at border hospitals to begin with. If I can drop a kid drug-free and leave within 12 hours of arrival why can't most of them? Save the hospital stay for the ones that actually need it. Makes at least 10 thousand dollars difference per mom right there.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:15 AM   #56
TheMercenary

Good question. Most of them don't go drug free, and most moms do not deliver drug free anymore. Most get an epidural. Oh and they all watch The Baby Channel and think they are going to have the perfect delivery, it just usually does not happen that way. Hell, the newest thing it the Designer C-Section, to "preserve the pelvic floor". They are all the rage in South America, if you are affluent, and if you request one here, there are a bunch of OB-GYN's that will do them.