The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Creative Expression
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Creative Expression Post your own works and chat about them

Old 04-24-2019, 10:00 PM   #166
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

This little two step construction is for sale at the hot tub store. $499.00 No, not made of SOLID GOLD, just that pvc fakey lumber. The color is about perfect, but we declined. That's... maybe $20 of 2x4s and some hunks of leftover deckboards. The remaining 479 dollars will buy a lot of champagne.

Name:  93-IMG_20190329_163438.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  370.9 KB

This is our current (ha ha ha, I see what I did there) electrical panel. The service for the WHOLE HOUSE is the same amount of current required for the hot tub. This will need to be upgraded. We have an electrical contractor already picked out, a new 200 amp service to the house is scheduled, but won't happen until after the hot tub arrives.

Name:  94-IMG_20190330_112337.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  190.3 KB

And it will arrive on a rolling rig that has to pass through this area (after I finish moving all this yard stuff) and up onto the deck.

Whew!

Name:  95-IMG_20190331_184651.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  511.2 KB

Name:  96-IMG_20190331_190632.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  548.9 KB
Old 04-24-2019, 10:02 PM   #167
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

It sure looks better after that second coat.

https://panoraven.com/slider/FW8YYUPfne
PANO_20190326_182259
Old 04-24-2019, 10:08 PM   #168
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
snip--

That's a huge project! Lots of work, and I see SonOfV in some of the photos. Isn't he in NYC now? It takes forever to do projects in your spare time.
Yes it is.
Yes he is (Rochester, not NYC)
UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE SEASON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
...Looking good. I'll be interested to see the final product.
Thank you sir, I am as interested as you!
Old 04-24-2019, 11:30 PM   #169
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nice job, looks good, strong like Russian woman, should live long and resist the damp.
On the next deck, if you flip it over and make theses cuts on the backside they won't show.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2019, 11:46 PM   #170
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Thank you.

You're right, of course. Also, those cuts are covered by the base covers. I'm more of a framer than a finish carpenter. I know this about myself and I am at ease with it.

Your point is well taken, though, don't get me wrong. There are many ways to make this cut invisible; you described one, I described another.

Zooming out a couple thousand feet--- this project had a *lot* of figure-it-out-as-you-go. It was as satisfying and fulfilling of a project/puzzle as I've ever had. The thing you point out, I'd correct that on the next deck, which I plan to make never.

I *DO* have another project on simmer in my brain... an actual workshop in the back yard. More puzzle, more chances to improve my technique as you note here. More pics, more documentation, more sawdust, and finally more indoor space for my poor, poor shop tools.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:54 PM   #171
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

You've dropped so much at one time here. It's gonna take a while to read through.

Seems like you could park a stream roller on it, though.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:35 AM   #172
Griff
still says videotape

Hella deck brother!
Old 04-25-2019, 08:01 AM   #173
glatt

It looks fantastic!

And your back yard looks like a little oasis. In all those closeups, it looked kinda shitty, with vines and stuff in the way, but the wide angle shots show how it's all tied together and the vines are there on purpose. It's really spectacular with that sunlight streaming in in the morning.

You really did a good job. It looks fabulous.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:02 AM   #174
glatt

The one thing I would have a hard time living with is that one base cover that overhangs the edge of the deck by about two inches. I would trim that so it's flush with the edge of the deck, but that says more about my OCD than it says about your deck. And I understand that it covers the concrete base underneath.

Maybe it's in a spot that you would never see it normally.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #175
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Now..... Just to pick nits... This is not a deck. This is a patio. Decks are elevated.

That said, it's lovely, and it looks inviting. You'll spend a lot of time out there, hopefully.

Good work!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #176
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Thanks very much!

Today the hot tub gets delivered.

Well, today the truck carrying the hot tub is scheduled to arrive in the driveway. I am looking forward to watching their crew of three guys unload it and navigate their way to the back yard and onto the deck. In preparation, I was asked to make a clear path 4 feet wided by 8 feet high from the driveway to the deck. I have done this. There are some branches that will be swept out of the way by the tallest sides of the hot tub, they say that's ok; that part will be ok. There are a few other concerns I have.

The grass is very soft and wheels will sink right in under the weight of the hot tub (830 pounds dry). They tell me they're going to use rollers, like the Egyptians did for the Pyramids. That's pretty ingenious. Of the Egyptians, it's merely observant of the delivery guys.... Also, there are a number of protruding tree roots, a good 4 inches in diameter to cross over. I think with the addition of some planking with a half sheet of plywood, we'll be able to overcome that obstacle. The gate isn't wide enough and the arbor is too low, so I just took down the fence next to the gate making a path around that problem. And then there's the lifting onto the deck, low though it may be. I have some 12 foot 2x6s that could be used as ramps. And since they move it in on "edge", which makes sense, they'll have to tip it back over at the final destination. That's gonna be interesting to watch. The installation spot is uncovered, and will stay uncovered but I just wonder how much tipping over space on the ground they'll need.... I am sure they'll be standing in the yard off the edge of the deck for some of the maneuvering.

Then the inevitable adjustment, to the left, no, no more. Stop, ok, back a little bit... ok. Etc.

There is no power to the site at this time, so no hookup, no filling. The electrician is scheduled to start and finish work the weekend after next. That's gonna be post-worthy fun too.

I have taken the day off to supervise and help. Now I'm gonna go tidy up the path, maybe mow the grass. There will be pix, of course. I'm nervous and excited.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #177
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Wow! It could not have come out better.

The deck is sort of the Great Wall of China, and the story "War and Peace."
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:06 PM   #178
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I'm back. I spent this morning tying back some overhanging branches, raking the path clear, double and triple checking my work. This place is so pretty in the springtime.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #179
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

The hot tub has landed.

The delivery process was eventful, and ended well. I've untied the branches and shrubs I had tucked out of the way and I reinstalled the section of fence I'd taken down.

We don't have power to the location yet, so no water yet either. But it's in place and level and solid. Next steps include building steps to get into the tub, and a step between the deck and the yard.

Seeing the tub in place has revealed some tree pruning that needs to be done.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:11 PM   #180
Griff
still says videotape

Congrats!