The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-16-2010, 10:54 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

With all the houses owned by the banks sitting empty, thieves have had a field day stripping out plumbing, wiring, aluminum windows, storm doors, and even siding. Every once in a while you see someone on the news that tried to steal copper wire that was hot. Well, you don't actually see them, to grisly for family viewing.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:40 PM   #17
Char*Pntr
Complex Simpleton

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
With all the houses owned by the banks sitting empty, thieves have had a field day stripping out plumbing, wiring, aluminum windows, storm doors, and even siding. Every once in a while you see someone on the news that tried to steal copper wire that was hot. Well, you don't actually see them, to grisly for family viewing.
Hi Bruce, I just got back from the walk. Indeed you are correct. The first wave of foreclosures, were people working at Mc Donalds, and buying a $700,000 - $800,000 homes. The second wave is now here: People that bought those homes at those prices, realize they will probably never get above water in their lifetime. So I've seen many of my neighbors now "walk away" from their homes.

This is a final sad note on recycling. My dog harley. He's a beautiful 75 pound golden retriever. He was also recycled. Since I live at the end of the project and at a cul de sac the local police call this a "drop off zone". That means the people here walking away from their home, drive at the end of the project in front of my home, open their car door - and out goes their pet.

That is how I got harley. But at first he scared me, he is so big. One night I was having a smoke outside before bed. I was out quite a long while, when to my shock was that dog. He was there the whole time next to (his now) favorite fire hydrant. Then he noticed me, and ran to me. I remember thinking, I was going to die. I vaguely remember waiting close to my front door - I really did not feel like going to work that Monday, and this would provide me a valid medical excuse in case he chomped into me.

Then - he sat on my foot, almost as if at attention. It turns out he has had significant training. My neighbor is somewhat of a dog expert. While I was at work, he took harley, and ordered him to sit. After that, my neighbor walked around his truck. During this time, the dog did not move.

When I take him for a walk, and he sees a small dog and owner coming our way - he lays down on the side walk. These are typically very small dogs - and they yap at him. But he stays put and smiles.

Absolutely amazing. But there is another side to him: He obviously came from a family with children. When we have friends over to spend the weekend with children, the dog goes crazy ( loves children and company). However, in this situation, when I go downstairs in the morning, my own dog growls and barks at me! He seems to favor women and children, but when they are in our house, he will bark at me if I surprise him.

So I've had him exactly one year now. That is why I didn't know, when he puts a paw on my knee, that means he needs to go outside.
But I know better now.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:05 AM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hell's bells, man, post some pictures of him over here.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:23 AM   #19
Char*Pntr
Complex Simpleton

Quote:
Hell's bells, man, post some pictures of him over here.
Ok I will do! But I am worried, that as newbie here, I am taking your thread off topic. I've put all of my heart and soul on this thread - and I have nothing more to put out. My wife has been in Thailand the past week and will return sometime next week. Feeling kinda lonely reason why as a newbie, my replies have been insanely long. But I feel great and I'm having fun.

I also, on rare occasion, have a somewhat morbid sense of humor. For example, when I post some pics of my dog here, I will not make a wise crack, "the one standing up is my wife ... the other is my Dog."
Old 10-17-2010, 12:40 AM   #20
Flint
Snowflake

Fascinating story. Thanks for posting, Bruce.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:02 AM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char*Pntr View Post
Ok I will do! But I am worried, that as newbie here, I am taking your thread off topic.
You really haven't, but if you had, fuck it. Thread drift is so common, it's expected. After the OP, people will throw in their two cents, but that doesn't last too long unless it's something controversial. Then the thread may die, or take off on one or more tangents. A thread is like a toy sailboat, you can set it to sail, buy you can't steer it. It goes where it will.
Quote:
I've put all of my heart and soul on this thread - and I have nothing more to put out. My wife has been in Thailand the past week and will return sometime next week. Feeling kinda lonely reason why as a newbie, my replies have been insanely long. But I feel great and I'm having fun.
There's something like a 1,000 word limit per post, if you have more to say, you make a second post.
Quote:
I also, on rare occasion, have a somewhat morbid sense of humor.
Well that's a good fit.

Thanks Flint, it was an interesting day.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:48 AM   #22
Char*Pntr
Complex Simpleton

Quote:
You really haven't, but if you had, fuck it. Thread drift is so common, it's expected. After the OP, people will throw in their two cents, but that doesn't last too long unless it's something controversial. Then the thread may die, or take off on one or more tangents. A thread is like a toy sailboat, you can set it to sail, buy you can't steer it. It goes where it will.
There's something like a 1,000 word limit per post, if you have more to say, you make a second post.
Well that's a good fit.

Thanks Flint, it was an interesting day.
Done deal. Here is my dog Harley:

http://www.cellar.org/showthread.php...104#post688677

I will wait a day or two. There's more to this story. Is is ok to post more than one pic of my dog?

C*P
Old 10-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #23
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Absolutely, man! Post wherever and whatever you want.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:33 AM   #24
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think there's a scrapyard on Sterigere Street in Norristown. Don't know how good their rates are, however.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Absolutely, man! Post wherever and whatever you want.
Seconded, post away.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #26
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Thirded - Love seeing a happy ending to the many pets that have also been walked away from. It got a lot of press when Katrina hit, but cumulatively there have probably been more left as a result of the economy. I frequently visit shelters to visit the pets there. They all seem to be way over capacity.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #27
monster
I hear them call the tide

fourthed on the forthness.....