The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Raking: Do U Do It?

I'm really torn. I don't want to rake or even leaf-blow my leaves around.

but I feel like I should. But I don't wanna.

My yard guy says 120.00 to 150.00 to do fall clean up and if I don't then my lawn won't grow come spring.

I say if the grass doesn't grow then I won't have to mow it next spring, right? And I've lived here 10 years and the grass always grows just fine come nice weather.

Do you rake up your leaves and do a "Fall Clean-Up"?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Nope. We just give the lawn one last mow to mulch the leaves. I will do one little thing this year tho...Im gonna do major surgery on the smoke bush that grew like a crazy nut job this summer. Im gonna have to re-plant it somewhere else in the spring.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
glatt

I'm trying to convince my son to do ours for $20. If he doesn't this weekend, then I will. I mow my leaves weekly while they are still not so heavy. Once they get really heavy, I just rake them to the curb. County sucks them up with a vacuum truck.

It really depends on how many trees you have.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I do. But it sucks.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Apartment. A bunch of Mexicans show up ever week and do up the lawn like a golf green.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I'm trying to convince my son to do ours for $20. If he doesn't this weekend, then I will. I mow my leaves weekly while they are still not so heavy. Once they get really heavy, I just rake them to the curb. County sucks them up with a vacuum truck.

It really depends on how many trees you have.
Beware, coming to a neighborhood near you...

Portland (OR) has just instituted a new fee for home owners to cover the city's leaf pickups.
Avoiding the fee may be possible via receipts for licensed landscapers, etc.
but it is making for a lot of angry homeowners.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
bbro
Insert witty comment here

We never did when I was growing up in PA and we didn't have problems with the grass not growing because of it. Of course he is going to say that, he wants you to pay him to clean.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Apartment. A bunch of Mexicans show up ever week and do up the lawn like a golf green.
I hope you're checking green cards
Old 11-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #9
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

It's true that clumped and matted down leaves; or, grass cuttings can keep sunlight from reaching the lawn in spots so the grass underneath won't grow. Simply breaking up the clumps with a rake will enable the wind to move leaves and grass cuttings around to avoid dead spots without having to pick up the debris and dispose of it.

I use the lawn mower to mulch leaves while cutting the grass. I first mow the perimeter of the yard, with the cuttings being blown towards the middle, and work towards the center. All the previous cuttings get chopped up a little finer each time I pass over them again while making new cuttings. I then use the mower to scatter the debris pile accumulated in the center of the yard out towards the perimeter until the material blends in with the grass.

I only rake up the leaves and grass cuttings that drift into piles against the house and edges of the driveway. I don't want decomposition piles forming against the house; or, making a mess when I later use the snow blower on the driveway.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The lord giveth, the lord taketh away.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #11
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Bri, As soon as the leaves are dry just mow over them like Pico says. It will be good for the lawn.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
monster
I hear them call the tide

I mow/mulch early in the season, then I rake (I did it Monday). I love the raking -great workout, visible results and good for the bod (maintain core strength position -Kegel brace- and always bend knees when lifting, alternate raking sides....)
Old 11-10-2010, 06:35 AM   #13
casimendocina
Professor

I had the dead branches of trees on my property lopped last week so that another one won't fall on my house anytime soon. Also I can feel virtuous about cleaning up in time for bushfire season. Got the invoice today-was expecting that the terms of payment would be 14 or 21 days, but no, the invoice says terms of payment: NOW.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:04 AM   #14
glatt

In 21 days, it will still be NOW.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:32 AM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
In 21 days, it will still be NOW.
The Zen of Remittance.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote