The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-20-2010, 03:10 AM   #91
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Which *they*? Too many want to view in terms of a monolithic company, party, demonstrators, or country. Which they are not rational?
Even in view of your second para from this 2009 post, not quoted here, I am very surprised you found it necessary to ask -- unless you intended an expository question.

In which case I suggest your treating it as a rhetorical question and going on to make some sort of answer to it.

The DPRK's domestic policy (not changed much since 2009 either) shows that non-monolithism is not allowed and will get you a shortish life sentence in a "corrective" labor camp. This is amply well known. Can you somehow not know it, or even remain the least bit fuzzy on the concept? Working for General Motors didn't leave you time to read any papers or newsmagazines?

Honestly, tw. That kind of not-thinking is why I despise the Left so. There are documentary segments on North Korea put up on epphin' YouTube, FerFuxacheS. And in their dispassionate way, they are creepy as hell.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 06-20-2010 at 03:19 AM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #92
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Bumpity boop ....

North Korea's rocket fell apart faster then the cowboys playoff hopes last December.

Quote:
North Korea's long-range rocket failed early Friday, U.S. officials said, calling it a blow for the reclusive state's propaganda efforts.

The rocket broke up about 90 seconds after taking off, an official told NBC News.

The rocket was launched from Tongchang-ri, on North Korea's west coast and flew about 75 miles, Japanese broadcaster NHK said.

The South Korean army said rocket debris crashed off Kunsan, home to a U.S. air base on South Korea's west coast.

NORAD, the North American Aerospace Defense Command, said the rocket's first stage fell into the sea and two other stages failed.
Link
Old 04-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #93
Ibby
erika

Their next rocket should be disc-shaped. It might go a little further than the rest.

Name:  skippingstone.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  22.3 KB
Old 04-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #94
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

LOLs.

It'll be announced in NK as a glorious success. Or else they'll swear the evil capitalist pigs shot it down as an act of aggression.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #95
Ibby
erika

No, really. If they'd been investing in buoys or submarines or something, they'd have mastered it by now, with all the rockets they've dropped in the water. whats the quickest way to send expensive scientific equipment to the bottom of the east sea? their ballistic program!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:05 AM   #96
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

North Korea reminds me a little of the belligerent drunk, not quite able to stand, shouting threats at anyone within range, waving some kind of minor weapon. You don't think they actually could attack someone, at least not successfully; and they're probably not stupid enough to try it ... but you're not absolutely sure they won't do something really stupid, and you don't want to take your eye off them, just in case.

The status quo on the Korean peninsula should be preserved as a Cold War Theme Park, just to remind us most of the world was once this crazy.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #97
Griff
still says videotape

They actually told their people the truth this time. Of course they can always amend it later. Thinking on it, if it was a good rocket we would have smoked it anyway.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #98
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

/NelsonMuntz/ Ha Ha!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #99
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
They actually told their people the truth this time.
Which suggests a political change. But a change which way?

For example, is new leaderships challenging the extremists to put up a rocket that 'could not fail'? To gain political control over extremists?

Or is the new leadership so naive as to believe what their extremists were claiming? That they could make intercontinental missiles and explode nuclear bombs if not impeded by moderates.

Or is the new leadership so unstable as to need these accomplishments.

Were they being public so as to defuse accusations that it was a military bomb delivery system? Could be.

We can only say something has changed. But we don't know who is gaining power, who is threaten (politically endangered), or who is that naive. All three may apply to the different power centers in N Korea. But more important, which option includes the new Kim?

To define a monolithic N Korea as evil would be foolish and Limbaugh simplistic. We know this ‘publically admitted’ rocket failure and a secret tunnel for a nuclear attempt define changes. We just don’t know what that change is or what it means.

Those easily manipulated by myths (ie Saddam's WMD, cigarettes to increase health) will listen to the ill informed preaching wild speculation. Others who only know after learning facts understand why these latest N Korean actions occurred.

Curious is something new: they publically admitted to a three stage rocket. And then publically admitted to its failure. Something changed.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #100
classicman

The military runs N Korea. Nothing this man-child says matters. If they feel strongly enough he will be on the next rocket they fire into the ocean.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #101
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
The military runs N Korea. Nothing this man-child says matters.
Or they have a government run by their 'Cheney' with Kim as their 'George Jr'. More viable possibilities because we have so few facts and plenty of speculation.

We know something changed. They publically announced their rocket launch in advance. And eventually did what never happens in N Korea. They admitted to a failure. Any conclusion beyond that is mostly wild speculation. Often called knowledge based in emotion. Some possible realities posted above with another reality. No facts exist to convert those possibilities into knowledge.

Who is N Korea's 'Cheney'? We don't even know that.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #102
classicman

Quote:
They publically announced their rocket launch in advance. And eventually did what never happens in N Korea. They admitted to a failure.
Rookie mistake.
Same story as 12 years ago
Old 04-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #103
tw

More changes. Kim has given a speech where 1) he acknowledged the great famine. And 2) declares it will not happen again.

Another major change. N Korea admitted to another failure of Kim's father. And promised to do better. These are major concessions.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #104
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

What? ?? The great famine is ongoing ffs!! Its happening NOW!!!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #105
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
Their next rocket should be disc-shaped. It might go a little further than the rest.

Attachment 38291
Sh-yeah, right.

It ain't like it's rocket scie---wait, it is rocket science.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote