The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 02-17-2005, 11:30 AM   #1
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Foot Power

Anyone else here like to run? I do, and was hoping for some virtual training partners. Now that I am all grown up (snort) with a job and family, my life isn't on a regular schedule, so it's been hard to find a regular running partner. Not sure how this would work, but we could discuss that if anyone is interested. I usually try to pick one 5-8K race a month to enter in the spring-fall to keep me motivated and add to my T-shirt collection. My goal is just to keep lowering my PB, and maybe eventually place in my age group. Lately it's been hard to stay motivated b/c I don't have anyone to 'compete' with. Anyone? Anyone?
Old 02-17-2005, 11:46 AM   #2
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I'd love to join you, but running is something I could never get into because it is too high impact. Maybe you have some suggestions that might make the sport a little more tolerable to my feet and back? (shoe type, perhaps?)
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:10 PM   #3
LabRat

Shoes do make a huge difference, mainly running in shoes that are too old. I know it's time to get a new pair when my knees bug me. My suggestion, if you love the heart pumping and sweating of running, but not the pounding is to try an elliptical machine. Not a cheap $400 one, but gym quality such as Precor http://www.precor.com/hpr_efx.php, that changes incline in addition to tension. The cardio response is the same or even more intense than running, but because your feet never leave the little pads, there's no impact. If you have knee problems however, this probably will still bug you.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:40 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Pretty much what Kitsune said. My ankles are shot from running for wrestling/soccer as a kid so I'll have to stick to the bikes unless I want to spend more time on campus to use the gym... which I really don't. My brother gets the same buzz from running that I get from cycling so I see where you're coming from. good luck beating that blood pressure thing.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:20 AM   #5
LabRat

I've heard that running in the deep end of the pool with a floatie belt is a great zero impact workout also, but I have never tried it. Maybe if you strengthened up your legs a bit on an elliptical or in the pool, and bought shoes from a specialty shop, you could still get out occasionally on a nice day without having to hobble for a week afterward. Sorry I'm not much help.

Turns out that I have been talking to a fellow RA here at work, and she is interested in getting out more, so were running together this afternoon after work. I'm going to do Marion's Freeze Fest 5K this Sat, never tried a Feb run before. It's on a trail that I usually run, so since I know the route, I am expecting it to be fun. Curious what my time will turn out to be. I'm shooting for under 29:00 minutes, not terribly fast. We'll see.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:33 PM   #6
Kitsune
still eats dirt

LabRat,

I'd found that one of the most difficult parts of bicycling was that I never knew how hard to push myself. This led to a lot of discouragement, because I found that I'd often get very winded and worn out quickly. To find out why, I picked up a fairly inexpensive Polar Heart Monitor . I found out that I was perfectly comfortable in my target heartrate range and the discomfort came from over doing it. The result was that I ended up making much better use of my time on the bike and tracking my progress was a lot easier than trying to manually take my pulse while on the move. Now I tend to get out on the bicycle a lot more often because I enjoy monitoring my improvements over the months. Something like that might help your running, or at least keep it interesting and allow you to set some goals.

I'm glad to hear you found a training partner, though! Good luck to you!

Last edited by Kitsune; 02-24-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
LabRat

I actually was thinking of picking one up, you can get just a HRM now for $30, no bells and whistles. For $50, you can get one that tracks time in and out of zone with alarms etc. to mark these points. Thanks for letting me know it will be $$ well spent if I decide to get one.
My run today, "Freeze Fest" went much better than expected. Tuesday afternoon I ran with Carrie, the other RA, but quite slow since she hasn't been running nearly as regularly as I have. She did great, much better that I would have if our positions were reversed. Anyway, we were planning on running Thurs again, but my daughter came down with a fever, so I had to pick her up from daycare. Didn't get to do my run on the treadmill that night, due to a very clingy 2yr old. Friday, was going to do a long walk on the treadmill during her nap, but decided to take a nap myself since I was up most of the night with her. I was a little worried, since thus far the farthest I have run is about 2.25m, but figured what the hell, just see how fast you can finish. It was a beautiful sunny CRISP morning today, the thermometer in my car said 28 F about 30m before the start. I had no idea what my splits were because there were no mile markers! Running 5Ks for over 5 years, and never had a run without mile markers...Overall it was as flat as a pancake, but it ended with the last 1/4 -1/3 mile being up a steady hill. Yikes. My lungs weren't really used to running in the cold yet, it's been in the upper 40s the few times I've gotten out so far. I was pretty exausted at the finish, and had to do a double take when I saw 28:20 28:21 28:22 clicking as I passed thru the finish chute. I'm gonna be sore tomorrow, but definately worth pushing myself. The 2 races I did last summer my finish times were 28:40's. To place in my age group I would have had to finish in 24 something. This goal shouldn't be out of my grasp if I can keep training, and do smalltown races My PB for a 5K is in the 23m range, in 2001.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I run in the spring, sumemr and fall. From the time the snow melts off until it's so cold I get frost bite in the time it takes me to run 5 miles(40-45 minutes). I've always had problems with my knees just because of my size(6 foot 8, 225-235 lbs). However, I enjoy running enough and the pain isn't enough to stop me.

During running season I go through a LOT of OTC anti-inflammatories. During the winter I used to just drop back to using a stationary bike which I always hate.

This winter I found the Precor machines at the local Y and they kick ass. I still have to do my weights at home b/c the Y doesn't have jack for free weights.

Sorry for the rambling first post, but I'm in a hurry but couldn't help responding :P
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:50 PM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I am powerful, yet you persist in talking about running.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:11 AM   #10
LabRat

FFF, WTF???

Welcome grant!! There are shoes made for larger/heavier runners, they might help in your knee pain. I know New Balance (my personal fav brand) makes them, and I am sure that others do too. A specialty running shop staffed by people who actually run should be able to help. Getting a proper shoe made a world of difference to me, and I don't have any special concerns...
Old 03-07-2005, 09:09 PM   #11
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
LabRat
Foot Power
Foot foot Foot
3x foot power
oh never mind, I'm not drunk right now, so it isn't that funny
Old 03-08-2005, 08:42 AM   #12
LabRat

For me, three feet would be a hindrance, I can barely control the 2 I've got now...
Old 06-28-2005, 11:57 AM   #13
LabRat

Thought I'd see if any newbies are runners. I am in week two of a training plan for a 1/2 marathon in Sept.

Well??
Old 06-28-2005, 12:02 PM   #14
LabRat

Shortly after posting the original post, I ended up with a new running partner at work, with whom I've done 2 of 3 races, and am doing the 1/2 with.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:34 PM   #15
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

I am going to be doing a mini-triathalon in August... As far as tris go, it's pretty wimpy I suppose, but I've never done anything like it before. I love to cycle and swim, but I HATE to run... that's partly why I am doing it is to get to a point where running is just annoying rather than the most dreadful thing on the planet.
It's a 400m swim, 6 mile bike and 2 mile run. If I start to enjoy the running, I may give a half-marathon a go at the end of October.

I guess I better get to training for this thing.