The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #781
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Given I am not a parent, I can only try toimagine how I'd be were i to become one. But I am as sure as I can be without actually going through it, that any doubts I had about being able to teach my child morals would not lead me to want someone to fill their heads with falsehoods.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #782
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Flint, I'm with you. Sliding into a make believe game is at best lazy and at worst cowardly. You CAN be moral and good without being bullied into it by an imaginary friend. In fact, reviewing world history, there seems to be very little correlation between religion and goodness.
And if there were no religion, all we would have left would be:

the Home Shopping Network
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #783
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  heheh.JPG
Views: 320
Size:  43.6 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #784
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Cute, but that idea doesnt support a belief in god. The belief in a god(s) began from a primitive mind that didnt understand its enviroment. To still base a religion on that today is really silly.

Like still believing in Santa Claus.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #785
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Dang, and here I was hoping to convert millions of atheists with a single recycled image.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #786
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Stop taking shit so serious.

Please.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #787
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I could say the same thing to you. You are taking my response to your post pretty seriously...over-sensitively, in fact.

Thats just one of my hot buttons Grave.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #788
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

My mistake.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #789
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post

I could say the same thing to you. You are taking my response to your post pretty seriously...over-sensitively, in fact.

Thats just one of my hot buttons Grave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
My mistake.
Warning: Step back and keep away from the buttons...
Old 07-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #790
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
Isn't this a list full of crippling compromises?
Of course it is. That's what people do. The fact that the average person's actions make you want to put a gun in your mouth should not be news to anyone.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #791
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I understand the point both of you are making, Flint and Zen ... I'm trying to reconcile the trashing of all the principles I lived by for so many years, and not managing very well. I didn't let go of what I firmly believed to be right, and I almost got myself and my kids killed for it. I stuck it out for more years than should ever have happened ... and in the end, now that I'm out, I don't know anymore that objective truths exist. Or that anything, or anyOne, objective, exists. I think it makes inherent sense that this should be, yet my experience denies it. I'm left floating in philosophical, religious, and ethical limbo.

I'm not talking about formal religion. I think human beings corrupt that to the point that, if anything Objective exists beyond us, it must cause the Objective to throw his/her/its hands up in despair. I'm just talking about whether it's even possible to live by principle, or whether, when the chips are down, principle is the first thing that kills ...
Old 07-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #792
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Of course it is. That's what people do.
You've laid it out quite elegantly...but despite how harmless it sounds, some of us just aren't capable of doing that. Maybe we're stubborn and misguided, maybe we're idealistic visionaries. Who knows what the "right way" to live is. Some people can stomach "fitting in" and some can't.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #793
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

We all make compromises in life. But we are all different in which compromises we are and are not prepared to make.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:51 AM   #794
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Of course it is. That's what people do. The fact that the average person's actions make you want to put a gun in your mouth should not be news to anyone.
Imma steal this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
You've laid it out quite elegantly...but despite how harmless it sounds, some of us just aren't capable of doing that. Maybe we're stubborn and misguided, maybe we're idealistic visionaries. Who knows what the "right way" to live is. Some people can stomach "fitting in" and some can't.
Some of us do enjoy running into brick walls our whole life and that turns out to be good for society.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #795
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
I understand the point both of you are making, Flint and Zen ... I'm trying to reconcile the trashing of all the principles I lived by for so many years, and not managing very well. I didn't let go of what I firmly believed to be right, and I almost got myself and my kids killed for it. I stuck it out for more years than should ever have happened ...
Forgive me for offering unsolicited psychological speculation, but this ...

Quote:

and in the end, now that I'm out, I don't know anymore that objective truths exist. Or that anything, or anyOne, objective, exists. I think it makes inherent sense that this should be, yet my experience denies it. I'm left floating in philosophical, religious, and ethical limbo.
... reminds me a lot of the behaviour of a person I knew who had formally diagnosed PTSD from a psychologically abusive relationship.
After having your narrative about reality so messed with, after a while you begin to doubt your own connection to it. Writing and occasionally rereading a journal is supposed to help. Repeated affirmations.
And frankly, being a bit of an ornery bitch and not allowing ANYONE to bullshit you, seems to be part of the process.

Quote:

I'm not talking about formal religion. I think human beings corrupt that to the point that, if anything Objective exists beyond us, it must cause the Objective to throw his/her/its hands up in despair. I'm just talking about whether it's even possible to live by principle, or whether, when the chips are down, principle is the first thing that kills ...
Philosophically, I am convinced that there is an objective reality independent of human existence or thought, and that our senses and science at least approaches knowing some of this.
I'm very doubtful about this having any kind of consciousness or unified thought.

But that's not what you're focusing on.

Compromises Vs Principle is a heck of a tricky issue. Maintain core values, but don't be a jerk about little things, is my best guess.

(Philosophically, I focused on metaphysics, epistemology and phil of mind - not ethics and such. Shows, don't it? )