The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #121
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I did it, I emailed my ex and told him he had to back off and respect the boundaries I've set. Sounds lame, or at least anticlimactic, put like that. But I feel such a lifting of this huge burden, as his hoovering got stronger and stronger and my life seemed to be veering out of my control.

Saw a counselor on the oncology team today who listened for an hour and diagnosed me with PTSD. It's not like I didn't know it already, but ... guess I have the official word now. Whatever, it doesn't change anything. I still wake in the night repeatedly, checking my environment for syringes, paralyzing drugs, pentothal in lethal doses etc. - all the things my ex threatened years ago. He was just being cruel; I know now that it wasn't ever a practical threat. But my body doesn't know that. I still sleep like a prey animal.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #122
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Jesus, Ortho. He really did a number on you huh?

Well done for sending the email. Doesn't sound at all lame to me. Sounds confident and capable. Which of course is what you are, PTSD notwithstanding.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #123
orthodoc

He just sent back: ok. So that's that.

I don't know why I feel lousy with guilt. Doesn't make sense. Just a few too many stresses in the past two weeks, I think. Time to crawl into bed and pull the covers over my head.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #124
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

see you in the morning.

ironic turn of phrase identical to the title of UT's breakup thread. He used a word there you might find helpful. "Clarity".
Old 08-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #125
orthodoc

'So that's that' was my phrase ... all he said was, 'ok'.

But it's the same in the end. That's that. Clarity is good. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:18 AM   #126
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Ortho - well done for sending that email. I know how difficult it is to make that step which, out of context, seems tiny, insignificant, hardly worth it, and yet which is the game changer that puts you in control again. I hope you begin to sleep easier now.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:08 AM   #127
DanaC

Wow, what a shit head. Even in this situation he thinks more about himself. He is 'hurt' no doubt. Well, boo fucking hoo.

If he had a set, he'd have said something like 'ok, well, you let me know if you change your mind. You know I'm always here'

But he didn't. because he's a selfish shit and all of this only registers with him as it relates to him.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #128
orthodoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
But he didn't. because he's a selfish shit and all of this only registers with him as it relates to him.
Yes, you're right. It's all about him. Thank you guys for putting the warnings out there so strongly; you were absolutely right. I almost got pulled right back into everything. In future I'll bring my neediness and vulnerability here (kidding - sort of) and avoid both my ex and Mr. W (who got in touch today to make it clear he's annoyed that I would possibly expect anything of him - even though I never said such a thing. What a prince ... ).

Anyway, enough soap opera! Time to crack those books! Oy, I'd forgotten how fast classes take off ...
Old 08-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #129
DanaC

Ortho, might be an idea to switch off that dickhead radar you've got flashing on top of your head too :P

Where do they fucking come from? My God. he's annoyed with you? How incredibly generous in spirit.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #130
orthodoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Ortho, might be an idea to switch off that dickhead radar you've got flashing on top of your head too :P
You said it. I'm taking a long, perhaps permanent sabbatical from relationships. Learn a little bit about taking care of myself. I suspect I'll like being single. I've been part of a couple my entire adult life; this will be a new adventure.