The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #16
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Absolutely... those "radio hit and 9 filler songs" albums led to the iTunes era in which we bought music by the song. (Happily, the era is now over. Did you miss it? You didn't miss anything)

The industry keeps eating itself and now kids are buying vinyl. I don't think that's a good idea but it turns out that's the product we wanted all along. 40 minutes of an artist's time, big font and back image and liner notes and lyrics.

Once the kids find out these plastic discs warp and scratch, and have to be treated gently, they're gonna be pissed.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #17
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Seems like the 'album' ... Cohesive albums are rare anymore. I guess the 50's & 60's were all about singles... Not until the 70's did bands try to put out collections of songs that told a larger tale, or fit together to paint a bigger image...

The technology we use to listen to our music may have as much to do with it as anything.

Now, we can legally purchase one song for $. 99 if we like it. Or we can use a service like Spotify to cherry pick tracks.

If I was a musician today, I think I might release my songs individually as they are born. Seems like you'd stay in the focus of the short attention span public much more easily
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #18
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

lol - yeh, pretty much. I'm looking for a pair of speakers to go with my tube equipment that I haven't used in 20+ years to play some of my vinyl collection. I kept them all, I have Japanese imports of most YES, Pink Floyd and Who albums... or at least I used to. Kids change things, ya know.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #19
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
lol - yeh, pretty much. I'm looking for a pair of speakers to go with my tube equipment that I haven't used in 20+ years to play some of my vinyl collection.
Have you been to a Salvation Army? Around here, the stereo equipment in a Salvation Army amazes me. People are getting rid of their big old equipment and getting iPod docks or similar. I've seen nice equipment for next to nothing in SA.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #20
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
Seems like the 'album' ... Cohesive albums are rare anymore. I guess the 50's & 60's were all about singles... Not until the 70's did bands try to put out collections of songs that told a larger tale, or fit together to paint a bigger image...

The technology we use to listen to our music may have as much to do with it as anything.

Now, we can legally purchase one song for $. 99 if we like it. Or we can use a service like Spotify to cherry pick tracks.

If I was a musician today, I think I might release my songs individually as they are born. Seems like you'd stay in the focus of the short attention span public much more easily
What I think of as the modern concept album started in the sixties with Sgt Pepper, Tommy, Days of Future Past,etc.

I mostly listen to full albums on youtube.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #21
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Yah, ok. Mid sixties, I guess that began.

What do you figure was the first... Or... Maybe which 'album' began that tend? Was it Tommy?
Old 09-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #22
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I use Spotify. I alternate between listening to albums and long play lists I've created for particular moods.
I try to select music that I guess customers will feel comfortable with. Or when I'm just in there banging away billing deals, I put stuff that gets my toes tapping. Actually have a list called toe toppers.

If you follow lumberjim, I think you can play my lists.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #23
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
Yah, ok. Mid sixties, I guess that began.

What do you figure was the first... Or... Maybe which 'album' began that tend? Was it Tommy?
Sgt Pepper?
Old 09-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #24
Spexxvet

Hmmm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_album

Woody Guthrie, 1940 Dust Bowl Ballads, according to wiki