The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 03-29-2020, 09:29 AM   #76
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

From an interview of a Park Ave (NYC) resident. He believed he is the only person remaining in his building. And because he believes he is the only one without a vacation home.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #77
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The long arm of medical red tape is what keeps us safe 99% of the time. In the last few weeks though? Not so much --

Company: "Our technology can sterilize 160,000 masks a day -- and we can send it to trouble spots where it's needed!"

FDA: "You're authorized for 10,000. And only in Ohio. And that's how it shall stay."

https://www.nbc4i.com/community/heal...nly-10k-a-day/
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #78
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

As reported in Mississippi, due to a shortage of any protective equipment, other surgeries have been canceled. For example, one women with breast cancer and slated for surgery, had it canceled due to this nationwide shortage of protective medical equipment (ie masks, gowns, etc).

So would she be cited as a Covid-19 victim? Or a victim of mismanagement at the highest levels?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #79
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

As reported in Mississippi, due to a shortage of any protective equipment, other surgeries have been canceled. For example, one women with breast cancer and slated for surgery, had it canceled due to this nationwide shortage of protective medical equipment (ie masks, gowns, etc).

So would she be cited as a Covid-19 victim? Or a victim of mismanagement at the highest levels?

Why did the medical professionals in this Miss. facility allow such a shortage to occur?

Last edited by henry quirk; 03-29-2020 at 05:03 PM.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:02 PM   #80
henry quirk

Company: "Our technology can sterilize 160,000 masks a day -- and we can send it to trouble spots where it's needed!"

FDA: "You're authorized for 10,000. And only in Ohio. And that's how it shall stay."

Might be time to play anarchist, give the FDA the finger, and reach out to the troubled areas directly.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:28 PM   #81
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk, a mere 15 days ago
last time I bothered to check...
222,000 flu cases and 22,000 flu deaths, in the US, so far.

1,864 carona cases and 41 deaths, in the US, so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk, today
Why did the medical professionals in this Miss. facility allow such a shortage to occur?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:21 PM   #82
henry quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I'm not particularly bright: mebbe you wanna spell out the connection.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:36 PM   #83
Clodfobble

The shortage is not from normal hospital usage. It is 100% because of the huge influx of COVID-19 cases worldwide. Cases that you, among others, didn't believe would happen. Two weeks ago you scoffed at the numbers; now you imply that the hospital was negligent in not procuring a huge surplus in anticipation of those numbers.

Incidentally, the federal government does have a stockpile of masks, etc. in case of a pandemic. The states have to formally request them, and they have been. So far, Trump is delivering on those requests entirely based on which states have governors that praise him. Florida has received 100% of the gear they've requested. Blue states have gotten between 0%-15% of what they've asked for.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:56 PM   #84
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Well, Florida does have all of those old, highly vulnerable, retirees and let's not forget all those obnoxious vectors on spring break!
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:20 PM   #85
henry quirk

The shortage is not from normal hospital usage. It is 100% because of the huge influx of COVID-19 cases worldwide.

Poopycock. This is a hospital. It's the job of the professionals at that facility to stock their shelves based on the current and anticipated needs of their community.

The goings on in Italy or China or New York have what bearing on this hospital?

None.

Either they were short of equipment before Fu Manflu (which is negligent on their part) or they gifted equipment and shorted themselves (which is dumb).

Cases that you, among others, didn't believe would happen. Two weeks ago you scoffed at the numbers

I still scoff. what's the global death total for the China Syndrome? What's the Global death total for the current mediocre Flu?

Stickin' with 'Murica: what's the death totals? Where are the bulk of infections & deaths happenin'?

We're in the midst of a severe thunderstorm but the Weather Channel sez it's a hurricane.

Sure, NY & NO, for example, have it bad, but most of 'Murica is fine and gettin' a bit miffed at havin' the brakes stomped on their personal economies cuz of what isn't happenin' to them.

It's wool, pulled over eyes.

now you imply that the hospital was negligent in not procuring a huge surplus in anticipation of those numbers.

Not at all. I'm sayin', flat-out, a hospital in a state with less than a thousand cases of Commie-virus ought not be short, especially when that state tends to, historically, have a higher incidence of Flu infection than other states.

Incidentally, the federal government does have a stockpile of masks, etc. in case of a pandemic. The states have to formally request them, and they have been. So far, Trump is delivering on those requests entirely based on which states have governors that praise him. Florida has received 100% of the gear they've requested. Blue states have gotten between 0%-15% of what they've asked for.

Best kiss Orange Man's ass then...for the good of the people.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:28 PM   #86
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
So far, Trump is delivering on those requests entirely based on which states have governors that praise him.
I doubt he even has that ability

Quote:
Florida has received 100% of the gear they've requested. Blue states have gotten between 0%-15% of what they've asked for.
I'm not saying no, I'm just skeptical. Political and journalistic games are afoot

https://twitter.com/Neoavatara/statu...33464427606018
Old 03-29-2020, 08:32 PM   #87
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
Stickin' with 'Murica: what's the death totals? Where are the bulk of infections & deaths happenin'?
Here in the US, mid-April son.

They are wagerin' it will be 81,000 dead, let's see how it goes

https://covid19.healthdata.org/
Old 03-29-2020, 08:35 PM   #88
Clodfobble

It's definitely happening, but there are indeed competing answers as to why Florida got everything it asked for (e.g. higher population than some states--though certainly not New York--lower request numbers, looming hurricanes.) Department of Health & Human Services makes the direct decisions as to who gets what.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:38 PM   #89
henry quirk

four (mebbe five) predictions

*when the Caronapocalypse is done: infections & deaths will be comparable with any old seasonal, garden-variety Flu

*the Caronapocalypse will be done end of April, early part of May

*Caronapocalypse talk will go on and on and on ('till my employee is reelected after which virus-speak will abruptly end in favor of some new crisis)

*a whole whack of folks are gonna ask their various local, regional, state, and federal employees a lotta hard questions (mostly about why the whole of 'Murica had to go on hold for sumthin' that wasn't the apocalypse), the answers won't satisfy, so...

*...mebbe a good chunk of them employees will have to get real jobs
Old 03-29-2020, 08:44 PM   #90
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It is nice that they are estimating 81,000 now, because I initially set our over-under at 80,000 and I am now pretending I was very very smart at doing this when I set it , ...it was just a wild-ass guess based on the flu numbers.

In truth, early inches make it go up or down by powers of ten. A butterfly sneezes...! Nobody's early guess could have been very good. It was and is a dice roll.