The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 06-07-2006, 02:08 PM   #631
thrillhouse
spoonful of bologna

awfully strange (read: bordering on bizarre)

http://www.subservientchicken.com/
Old 06-07-2006, 02:12 PM   #632
glatt

There's a bar one out there too with a blonde waitress who will do as you command.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #633
thrillhouse
spoonful of bologna

these interactive links are amusing. . . ^ ^ i have stripper as well. . . . but she doesn't do everything you ask
Old 06-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #634
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
I have to show that to my wife.

I am glad you liked it

Here is a Led Zeppelin video my son found. Young Jimmy Page @ age 14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epXeC...my%20page%2014
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:28 PM   #635
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I don't think any translation is required.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:13 PM   #636
glatt

Just found a Russian web site that has lots of random pictures and comments about them. Here are a bunch of threads I thought were cool. Be warned, many of the ads in the margins are NSFW.

Turtle in a wheelchair.

Blowing up ships, and throwing tanks overboard to make artificial reefs.

Blowing up an aircraft carrier to make a reef.

Scandinavian sub base hidden in side of cliff.

Amazing new images I had
never seen from the Chernobyl disaster and emergency response.

More Chernobyl disaster pictures. I bet all these brave workers a dead from cancer.

Cool glacier pictures.

Crystal Cave of the Giants, which looks just like Superman's fortress.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:10 PM   #637
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Wow, great links, glatt.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #638
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Heh. "US CUSTOMS".
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:15 PM   #639
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Shopping Channel AK-47 sale. Well done piece of commentary.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:41 PM   #640
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The pics from the second set has a few from within the first few days after the event. You can see smoke rising from the reactor building, but not enough to think that it was necessarily the day after, or at least early the day after. The accident happened at night.

The guys with the moon suits didn't hit the scene until much later ... I think late the first or early the second week, off hand (too lazy to check, yes I am) but those poor bastards were doing things like directly handing chunks of radioactive graphite that had been spewed out of the reactor core when it exploded. They were Red Army Soldiers, a lot of whom had no clue what they were dealing with. The moon rover looking vehicle was one of the remote control bulldozers that were a spectacular failure in the radiation-heavy atmosphere of the plant. That's why they brought the Red Army guys into clean up by hand.

(I read Grigory Medvedev's book on Chernobyl last year, and just started Zhores Medvedev book (Legacy of Chernobyl) this week.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:45 PM   #641
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
Shopping Channel AK-47 sale. Well done piece of commentary.
I'll take a half-dozen, if they're on easy pay and I get the shipping discount. Do they have them in the cherry as well as the oak? ... but they're missing the mark if they want me to feel bad about the child soldiers and such.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 06-10-2006, 07:58 AM   #642
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The death rate from Chernobyl is way lower than you might have expected!!!
Quote:
Experts have estimated that around 4,000 people will die from the effects of the 1986 accident at Chernobyl.
The report finds more than 600,000 people received high levels of exposure, including reactor staff, emergency and recovery personnel and residents of the nearby areas.

The predicted 4,000 death toll includes 50 emergency workers who died of acute radiation syndrome in 1986, and from other causes in later years; nine children who died from thyroid cancer and an estimated 3,940 people who could die from cancer as a result of radiation exposure.

The report says there is "no convincing evidence" that there has been a rise in other cancers because of Chernobyl.

It says confusion over the incident's impact has arisen because many emergency and recovery workers have died since 1986 from natural causes which cannot be attributed to radiation exposure.
Most people who died from Chernobyl, died from drinking milk from cows who ate contaminated grass, which concentrates the radiation in such a way that you get thyroid cancer.

People older than me, who have been through civil defense instruction during the cold war, remember that iodine pills can be given to prevent this precise problem.

Don't know about you, but I am in favor of nuclear energy.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:39 AM   #643
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Don't know about you, but I am in favor of nuclear energy.
In theory, I am too. Unfortunately, I also worry about nuclear power in the hands of these guys or these guys.

I'm all for private ownership and the free market. Unfortunately, the free market is not always free. In the worse case, a company can negligently kill or injure thousands of people and avoid responsibility. Any attempt to hold them accountable financially would be met with cries of 'tort reform' and finding any one individual criminally responsible in a corporation is difficult.

The buck never seems to stop anywhere. Forgetting 3 Mile Island for a moment, tell me who was responsible for the 1994 blackout. Was it the control room staff, the repair teams, or the executives who were tasked with making sure enough money was spent to make sure that they were properly trained and equipped?

In many ways the CEO of First Energy knew before the blackout that he would never be personally accountable for any failure, so when he and his board were looking at budgets and making cuts, they probably didn't have a 'worst case' mentality. They were operating focused on budgets, not safety. This is the kind of mentality that put too few lifeboats on the Titanic.

Do I want him and his buddies in charge of a nuclear reactor in my back yard? Not unless Congress passes a law that he and his family have to live within 10 miles of it.

Quote:
o nobody's surprise, the final report on the blackout released by a U.S.-Canadian task force Monday puts most of blame for the outage on Ohio-based FirstEnergy Corp., faulting poor communications, inadequate training, and the company's failure to trim back trees encroaching on high-voltage power lines.
Quote:
A silent failure of the alarm function in FirstEnergy's computerized Energy Management System (EMS) is listed in the final report as one of the direct causes of a blackout that eventually cut off electricity to 50 million people in eight states and Canada. The alarm system failed at the worst possible time: in the early afternoon of August 14th, at the critical moment of the blackout's earliest events. The glitch kept FirstEnergy's control room operators in the dark while three of the company's high voltage lines sagged into unkempt trees and "tripped" off. Because the computerized alarm failed silently, control room operators didn't know they were relying on outdated information; trusting their systems, they even discounted phone calls warning them about worsening conditions on their grid, according to the blackout report.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #644
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
People older than me, who have been through civil defense instruction during the cold war, remember that iodine pills can be given to prevent this precise problem.
Did you remember to pick yours up when they were giving them out at the firehouse a year or two ago?

Only firefighters who were directly on the roof of the reactor building fighting the fire died ... the ones who were putting out fires on the rooves (coated in flammable material, for some reason only Soviet Planners understand) of the machine building and other reactor buildings spent time at the special radiological hospital, but survived.

Old 06-10-2006, 12:55 PM   #645
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

http://www.musicovery.com/

Nice music sampler

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wow, Just part of the information from the link in the previous post. This is very interesting and it makes one wonder if the thyroid 'epidemic' is something caused by our enviroment rather than mearly biological.

Prophylactic Use of Potassium Iodide (KI) in Radiological Emergencies*: Information for Physicians

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ki/ki_md.htm
The risks of stable iodine administration include sialadenitis (inflamation of the salivary gland), gastrointestinal disturbances, allergic reactions and minor rashes. In addition, persons with known iodine sensitivity should avoid KI, as should individuals with dermatitis herpetiformis and hypocomplementemic vasculitis, extremely rare conditions associated with an increased risk of iodine hypersensitivity.
Thyroidal side effects of stable iodine include iodineinduced thyrotoxicosis. This is more common in older people and in iodine deficient areas, and usually requires repeated doses of stable iodine. Iodide goiter and hypothyroidism are potential side effects more common in iodine sufficient areas, but they require chronic high doses of stable iodine. Therefore, individuals with multinodular goiter, Graves' disease, and autoimmune thyroiditis (most likely to be adults) should be treated with caution, especially if dosing extends beyond a few days.

Last edited by skysidhe; 06-10-2006 at 01:03 PM.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote