The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-25-2018, 04:34 PM   #76
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

The wacky antics of sheeple are always entertaining. You're sounding like the boy who cried wolf and Chicken Little all rolled into one. That is indeed entertaining.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:50 PM   #77
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
Oh, I strongly doubt that.
You're wrong, assault rifles are illegal.

Quote:
I've not berated the AR-15 or any other rifle that "looks scary."
As soon as you call guns that look scary "assault rifles", that's exactly what you're doing.
Quote:
You know, I'm no gun hater. I've got a loaded Mossberg next to my front door (purchased specifically and solely to protect my chickens). But there are VERY effective solutions to the rampant gun problem we have here in the US (eg. UK, Australia). We just don't want to go there. We're little more than pussies that need our big bad weapons to keep our peckers up, to the tune of 33,000 dead people (and another 75,000 non-fatal gun injuries) per year.

Is it worth it? Is it really? Speaking just for myself, I say no.
Care to break those numbers down? How many were hand guns? Don't they look scary enough to do something about?

Quote:
Fact Check:

Lankford pointed out the high proportion of crimes committed with handguns after NBC host Chuck Todd pressed him on whether the AR-15, the weapon used in the Parkland, Fla. shooting, should remain classified as a rifle.

“So there are three or four, five times as many crimes committed with a handgun than there are with a rifle. So we can have that conversation. But when you look at the statistics, many, many, many more shootings occur with a pistol than they do with a rifle,” Lankford said on “Meet the Press.”

His office pointed The Daily Caller News Foundation to the FBI’s annual Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) on firearms used in murders. By that measure, Lankford is right that handguns are used much more often than rifles.

Handguns were used in 19 times as many murders than rifles were in 2016, according to the UCR data. Handguns killed nine times as many victims as rifles, shotguns, and other guns did combined. The type of firearm used was unknown for about 28 percent of all firearm murders.

Firearms are the most common murder weapon, accounting for over half of the murders each year from 2007 to 2016. The FBI’s UCR shows that 11,004 of the 15,070 murders in 2016 were committed with firearms.
All these reports exclude suicides.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #78
Griff
still says videotape

I think we should consider why the military switched from the M-1 and M-14 to the M-16. They wanted something light that anybody can easily carry and doesn't beat up the shooter when firing a bunch of rounds. The AR 15 is a weapon which any dope can shoot a lot of rounds out of and now they apparently do. The small .223 round is not a deer hunter because it's an organ shredder rather than a knock down round. The heavy bolt action sporterized rifles circa WWI are good shooters for hunting with enough kick that you know you're doing damage.

I'd like to see the end of semi-auto civilian weapons and high capacity magazines. I really think the 2nd Amendment fantasy needs to meet the reality. Who do you intend to shoot with your AR? At this point we've seen a lot of innocents die for what looks like a fantasy about shooting American soldiers and American cops.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:48 PM   #79
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't need semi-autos, the rifleman did quite well without it. This whole dog&pony show is drawing attention away from the bigger problem, hand guns, because they don't make big enough headlines.
What's another drug user here and a nigger there, I live in the safe 'burbs.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:22 PM   #80
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
... I really think the 2nd Amendment fantasy needs to meet the reality. Who do you intend to shoot with your AR? At this point we've seen a lot of innocents die for what looks like a fantasy about shooting American soldiers and American cops.
OTOH a lot of people think your panacea fantasy needs to meet the 2nd Amendment reality that civilians want the personal issue firearms military and police use in self defense, for the same advantages, believing they have the same right to life. Compromises have already been reached. Fully automatic firearms are not generally available to the public and they don't get to attach silencers, bayonets; or, grenade launchers to them either. The line between offensive and defensive capability of the firearms has been drawn.

But there are those who want to blur the line based on whether the firearm is used legally; or, illegally. It's usually those who have no need or interest in them. But these same people would never consider giving up the kinds of things THEY need or want, like privately owned vehicles, that may be used illegally (or accidently) to take innocent lives. Oh no, that's different.

Then it becomes a numbers game: Well what you need or want costs more in innocent lives than what I need or want so you have to give yours up; but, I don't have to give up mine ... and there's more people who want what I want so the cost in lives is acceptable ... and anyone who says only professional drivers should have vehicles; or, no one should have a vehicle that goes over 15 mph to save innocent lives is nuts. If they refer to us responsible vehicle owners as crazed child killers and boycott car manufacturers because of the actions of a few bad drivers, we'll join the National Drivers Association and lobby for our hypocrisy!

We've seen a lot of innocents die for what looks like an American fantasy about the freedom of the road and driving on vacations. How about all those drivers who have cars that are too big and too fast for their needs. All that power affects their minds and turns them into reckless pedal to the metal killers. Yet, these people who won't give up the excessive privilege of driving privately owned vehicles in order to save innocent lives want others to give up the basic right to firearms that can save their owners' lives. Who you going to save with your privately owned motor vehicle? People have gotten along just fine with horses for hundreds of years. I'd like to see the end of sheeple hypocrisy.

^Heh, heh. I did a tw with a twist with Griff.^
Old 02-25-2018, 09:36 PM   #81
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

When you pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:20 PM   #82
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Anything that fires NATO rounds and with high velocity is an assault weapon. Anything that can fire bullets through cars to shoot police officers is an assault weapon. Anything that drives off arm guards while massacring students is an assault weapon. Anything with large clips is only for mass murder of people. Those things are not illegal - despite denials. In Florida, a kid, who cannot drink alcohol and not buy a 9 mm pistol, can also legally buy an assault weapon. And he did - legally.

Worse, so many adults knew and considered it acceptable. How extremist are so many adults?

What has massively increased in numbers in the past 20 years? Assault weapons. Why are school, malls, roads, and movie theaters more dangerous? What changed? A massive and recent increase in assault weapons in civilian hands.

That (and not illegal immigrants) are the problem. Who suffers because wackos love the 'big dic' power provided by a gun with large clips and high velocity ammunition? Moderates. People who were once safe before all this hardware was made freely available.

Just up the street, a church usher shot in the head a parishioner who was causing a disturbance. He felt that shooting was justified even after convicted in court. Others noted the problem. He was entitled so he needed a gun. Another example of how a mind is changed by a gun. How more entitled would he have been with an assault rifle? So we need him to protect us all - even from noisy parishioners.

The assault weapons ban in 1994 expired ten years later. The day after Sandy Hook, the gun show selling assault weapons (without any background check required) had its largest even attendance. Despite denials, assault weapons are selling in record numbers in the country that apparently loves to use their student for target practice.

The death rate due to gun shooting in schools is about every three days. Attempted massacres in 2018 has been one per week. But this is because schools, that were safe 30 years ago, are the reason for all these mass shootings - according a president and other extremists.

Last edited by tw; 02-26-2018 at 12:11 AM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:27 PM   #83
tw

Clearly more assault weapons do not explain this:
Attached Images

Last edited by tw; 02-25-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:08 AM   #84
sexobon

Not now tw, the grown-ups are talking. Go play with your Write MY Own Dictionary word game.

Honestly, the world seen through his imagination must be quite entertaining.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:12 AM   #85
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Not now tw, the grown-ups are talking.
Go yank your dic like a good wacko extremist. Or is that sentence require intelligence you never had.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:38 AM   #86
sexobon

The Donald loves you tw. He loves all his developmentally impaired constituents. He's sad your condition precludes his putting you on his list.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:04 PM   #87
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
The last two shoot faster than the rest, if you measure over, say, 100 rounds, and have your magazines preloaded. And bump stocks would only fit the last one.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:23 AM   #88
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
OTOH a lot of people think your panacea fantasy needs to meet the 2nd Amendment reality that civilians want the personal issue firearms military and police use in self defense, for the same advantages, believing they have the same right to life. Compromises have already been reached. Fully automatic firearms are not generally available to the public and they don't get to attach silencers, bayonets; or, grenade launchers to them either. The line between offensive and defensive capability of the firearms has been drawn.
Now we're talking self defense rather than a well regulated militia. If your concern is Al Q swinging by the house because of an anti-special ops vendetta maybe your military background gives you a desire to turn offensive. From a civilian perspective, an armed intruder is best handled with a shotgun. If I want a fire fight with the Sheriff's department then I want an AR. I don't want to get into it with the cops or the national guard etc... I like my chances in court and I think conservatism is agreeable to a functional rule of law.
Quote:

like privately owned vehicles, that may be used illegally (or accidently) to take innocent lives. Oh no, that's different.
Inspections, drivers tests, seat-belts, airbags, speed limits, my freedom ends where your nose begins.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:28 AM   #89
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

*sigh*

So tiresome.

Just ban all goddamned guns and confiscate *'em (if folks don't turn 'em in).

Then we can get back to building that communitarian utopia.

*good luck gettin mine, motherfuckers

Last edited by henry quirk; 02-28-2018 at 10:03 AM.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:49 AM   #90
tw

Quote:
We've seen a lot of innocents die for what looks like an American fantasy about the freedom of the road and driving on vacations. How about all those drivers who have cars that are too big and too fast for their needs. All that power affects their minds and turns them into reckless pedal to the metal killers.
How many 2000 and 5000 horsepower cars are on your road? Your reasoning constantly ignores perspective - which is what extremists do. You have again invented a fear that does not exist.

Love of big guns (an emotion) is why deaths in schools, on roads, and in malls are increasing. Only emotions define your needs and fears. Clearly logic has not. Nobody here needs an assault weapon. Highways do not have 5000 horsepower cars.

If properly trained, the bad guy will be well inside an effective radius before you realize he is a bad guy. Research says that weapon is three times more likely to be used on you than on a bad guy. That is from adult whose brains think rationally. And denied by brains that make conclusions from emotions - and irrational fears.

Same irrational fear are causing increasing massacres - now about one a week. No civilian needs an assault rifle and big clips. But some are so emotional today that their kid can no longer walk from a school bus, one quarter mile, to home. Because it is too dangerous. More examples of adults who are still children.