The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 11-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #136
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Looks like the USS OKC is open for bidness.

Name:  ussokc.JPG
Views: 526
Size:  100.7 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:22 PM   #137
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Is that ^^^a submarine?
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:39 PM   #138
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nice the numbered the hatches so they remember where the left the Cruise Missiles.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:57 AM   #139
glatt

Looks like the inner round part of the door is water tight and the outer door leaks like a sieve.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #140
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhook455 View Post
Is that ^^^a submarine?
'Tis. The USS Oklahoma City.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:06 PM   #141
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Akula-class on the left, Typhoon-class on the right:

Name:  akulatyphoon.JPG
Views: 478
Size:  96.4 KB

Old 12-03-2017, 08:05 PM   #142
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's no boat, this is a boat.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #143
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Ship.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:48 AM   #144
chrisinhouston
Professor

Several years ago when my son was a Lieutenant in the navy I was invited to go on a Tiger Cruise. That is a cruise where parents or others close to the sailor can come and stay on board for several days while the ship or sub moves between ports. However subs seldom offer these as they usually have nuclear weapons on board.

In this case my son's submarine, the SSBN Nevada had been completely overhauled and updated. It was in drydock for over a year and then after initial sea trials was sent from it's home base in Bremerton, Washington to San Diego where it successfully conducted a missile test, firing an unarmed Trident to a target near Hawaii.

I met up with other men (only men at this point were allowed on subs) and we boarded the sub in San Diego and didn't resurface for 5 days when we popped up at the mouth of Puget Sound at the US?Canada border.

Since this was the largest class of subs it wasn't as uncomfortable as smaller attack subs. Luckily I got a lower bunk, don't think I could have hopped up into the upper bunks. They had learning events for us and we got to see our kids manning their posts. I especially liked hanging out in the sonar room where they listened to the area around the sub, reminded me of The Hunt For Red October. The other cool thing was that since there were no nuclear weapons on board we were pretty much allowed to go anywhere other than the radio room or the room where they controls the nuclear propulsion system. I liked to hang out on the upper deck near the missile silos, it was quiet and a good place to nap or read a book.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #145
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Some people went nuts with war surplus materials...
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #146
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Questionable alternate history...
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2017, 08:44 AM   #147
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Volvo boat mover...
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2018, 09:13 PM   #148
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Ya seen that fish with the teeth? Ifn ya do tell him I'm lookin fer him.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #149
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  lifeboat2.JPG
Views: 365
Size:  65.9 KB

I would not want to be in that boat w/50 ppl.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:57 PM   #150
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Strange rig, water or ice.
Quote:
“Nat Roe has been granted a patent for an ice and water boat.” Source: The Suffolk County news., August 09, 1907, Page 2. From this, I found the July 7, 1907 U.S. Patent Number 859,693 which states in part the following.
“I have produced a motor propelled ice yacht or scooter adapted to skim over ice and plunge into and across water spaces and air-holes with scarcely diminished speed. As an ice motor yacht it is safety controlled under high speed and affords a lively recreation to pleasure seekers and in the event of it plunging into the water in soft ice or open water leads, it would float the same as a boat and could be gotten out by means of ice hooks used to lift its runners on the ice. ”

Nathaniel Roe (1876 – 1957) owned a steel tape factory in Patchogue, and he had over 70 patents to his name at the time of his death. Steel tape refers to what we call tape measures today. He lived in Patchogue, New York his whole life.
His obituary stated in part the following. “Shortly after the turn of the century the noted inventor designed an ice boat and later set a new speed record of more than 100 miles per hour. This was considered to be the fastest speed ever attained by man up until that date.” … “Mr. Roe was the owner of one of the first cars in this area and also was a prominent figure in bicycle racing circles.” Source: The Patchogue advance., January 17, 1957, Page 7

The patent can be easily viewed on the Google patent website by searching for” nathaniel roe Ice and water boat” in the search box.

I do not believe the boat in the photo above is the one used for the speed record. A much sleeker boat with a bigger engine in shown in the February 10, 1912 issue of Forest and Stream magazine which states the following regarding this boat. “The motor scooter, built by Nat Roe for service on Great South Bay, has made 90 miles an hour, gone over 100 feet of open water and coasted over a mile after power was shut off. She is 20 feet long, 4 feet wide, driven by a 35-horsepower Fiat motor. She is propelled by a spiked wheel fitted in the centerboard trunk.” There is a photo of this boat with the article.

An ad in The New York Dramatic Mirror from April 9, 1910, Page 19, lists a film entitled “Ice Skaters on Lake Ronkonkoma.” The description is, “A series of most exciting pictures of the fastest boat on earth, jumping water holes in the ice at the rate of eighty-five miles per hour. Nat Roe’s motor ice boat, capable of running 120 miles an hour.”
Scientific American went so far to say that the boat could be driven home over snow covered roads in the February 12, 1910 issue.
Methinks there's a lot of hyperbole if not bullshit there.

I can't tell if that's part of the trailer in the last picture or a steering skate for the boat.
Attached Images

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2018 at 11:04 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote