The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Creative Expression
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Creative Expression Post your own works and chat about them

Old 09-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #586
glatt

When we bought this place 15 years ago, the upstairs bathroom had just been renovated by the previous landlord. But they used the cheapest materials you could possibly use, and I hated the pedestal sink. It worked just fine, but the area next to the faucet, where you would place a soap dish had a pretty steep slope to it.
Name:  IMG_8474a.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  49.2 KB
Every week or two for those 15 years, I'd set down a bottle of contact lens solution and it would fall over the edge of the sink and into the trash can. Or I'd use the liquid hand soap, pumping a little out, and the damn soap would topple over into the trash can. Every time, I'd reach over to retrieve the item and just silently curse the damn sink.

Several years ago, I tried to convince my wife that we should get a sink vanity cabinet with a wide flat area on the top, and she agreed in theory, but we couldn't agree on a color or style.

Recently that all changed. We saw a sink vanity in an Ikea catalog that she thought looked neat because it had drawers, and I loved the flat space on the sink on top. So on our wedding anniversary Thursday, we went to Ikea to check it out. It was pretty cool, so we bought it.

Normally we start projects on a weekend, but we got back home Thursday afternoon, and I proceeded to remove the old pedestal. It was caulked like crazy to the wall, and I had to use a utility knife and thin putty knives to get it loose. I damaged the drywall and pulled up some of the cheap vinyl floor tiles getting it out. No matter, we had a half a box of floor tiles in the attic that they had left for us when we bought the place, and the gouged up wall was going to be hidden by the new vanity, which was a couple inches taller.
Name:  IMG_8477a.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  58.8 KB
We had fun putting the Hemnes Ikea cabinet together. It was a family project and we only made one little mistake that was easy to fix. The Odensvik sink was interesting, because it came with plumbing that allowed space for the drawers in the cabinet underneath. Pretty cool.
Name:  IMG_8484a.jpg
Views: 1681
Size:  61.0 KB

The new sink is great. I mean, it's just a sink. But nothing has fallen into the trash can. There's lots of space on top.
Name:  IMG_8486a.jpg
Views: 3154
Size:  65.9 KB

Someday, when I'm motivated, I'll get rid of these crappy vinyl tiles and put down a new floor, and I'll put down real base molding instead of the crappy vinyl strip stuff. I still want a new medicine cabinet and lights, and that may very well be next.

Edit: We got the sink almost completely set up on Thursday, but it didn't come with a slip nut and slip nut washer to connect to the wall's rough in drain pipe. So I had to buy that on Friday and hook it up Friday night when I got home from work. And then on Sunday I caulked the sink to the cabinet and to the wall.

Last edited by glatt; 09-29-2014 at 10:23 AM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:33 AM   #587
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Cool, those steps look great! We need to repair a corner of our foundation, you make me think it wouldn't be as hard as I've been fearing.

And I like the encased sink, though I have to admit still having that old towel ring hook there would bug me. I know you can't just pull it off or the wall will be damaged, but I'd wrack my brain trying to hang something from it, or place something up against it, just to justify its existence.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #588
glatt

Yeah. It bugs me too.

But I think that's good. I want to put up a new medicine cabinet and will probably put in some new wall sconces or something too. That means I'll have to tear into that wall anyway and then patch and paint it. So leaving that towel ring thing there will prompt me to do that sooner rather than later.

Of course, I'm notoriously lazy with projects like this, and it could wind up being there for 15 years.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #589
monster
I hear them call the tide

Here's a finished product.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #590
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

She'll have to get a T-shirt with that logo on it so people will say:

Look! There in the water! It's a dolphin (shark), it's a torpedo, no ... it's SUPER HEBE!
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #591
monster

I honestly think the suit she wore yesterday would work better than a t-shirt in the superhero costume department. besides, the boys' swim team (and several other teams) have already done the skyline S like a Superman S thing

disclaimer: I did not make this suit and it really was that color.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #592
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
She'll have to get a T-shirt with that logo on it so people will say:

Nice 'S'.
Fixed it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #593
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  creative.JPG
Views: 519
Size:  82.3 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #594
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I tried to make it possible for a commercial driver to continue driving today. Bent the rules using my privilege to use medical judgment and all ... but it turned out badly. Trying to balance public safety and the need to work is tricky. It doesn't go well when the driver lies. Hopefully he won't come back and shoot up my clinic tomorrow, as he suggested he might during a call late this afternoon.

Nevertheless, the otter has me beat. Don't stop posting, grav.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #595
monster

An item to donate to The Open School 7/8th grade silent auction. It's called "Open School"

apologies for lighting. best we could do for a quick pic
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #596
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Cute!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #597
glatt

I like that!
Old 03-10-2015, 06:25 AM   #598
Griff
still says videotape

I love that! Nice work monster.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #599
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Seems a little fishy to me.[/obviouspun]

I like.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:11 PM   #600
monster

thank y'all.

Did I tell you I'm making a life-sized amphora for Hebe's (and Hector's and soon to be Thor's)Latin teacher? Now that's a project . I have been documenting. It's a surprise for him

Tags
diy