The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 156 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 04-16-2006, 11:41 PM   #31
tangent
Kinda New Member

> I wonder how they'd clean it up though.

Greetings Private! - Meet Mr toothbrush...

-t
tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:15 AM   #32
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

mama mia!
Old 04-17-2006, 07:27 PM   #33
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangent

-t
Welcome to the Cellar, tangent.
Sounds like you've been there/done that.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:07 AM   #34
gen131
One size doesnt fit all

Airmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangent

-t

Actually the Airforce doesnt have Privates, they have Airmen...

And they dont work, that's what civilian contractors are for.

gen131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:26 AM   #35
Dirk
Kinda New Member

In response to the cleanup - My Dad was a career Crash and Rescue firefighter for the Airforce and I was a volunteer for a number of years. What is typically used in the foam systems is a form of dish soap labeled AFFF (Aqueous Film Forming Foam or "A Triple F") (there are other additives based on the location or known combustibles in the building, but typically just a non-toxic bubbly stuff to cool down the combustible and slow down the amount of oxygen that can get to the fire. Foam sits on top of liquids like jet fuel and other stuff and doesn't splash it around like just plain water would - think of spraying cold water in a hot deep fryer - not good). All it takes is removing the fluff via fans or snow shovels and then a lot of power washing. You noticed a firetruck in one of the photos? The water cannon on those are a pretty effective power washer. Final thought - the B2's at Ellsworth are spendy. At least with a foam system like this you just wash off the planes and it doesn't damage the special paint and coatings on the aircraft. Also, if you're surrounded in AFFF foam, just swim your arms around infront of your face and you create an air pocket that you can breathe. Unless it's Baricade Foam, but that's a different story and not something they'd use in a location like this.
Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:33 AM   #36
glatt

Thanks, Dirk. Welcome to the Cellar.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:48 AM   #37
comphappy
Rapscallion

Don't beleive everything you here.
I am an Airmen at Ellsworth and if you want to actually know what happened don't float around blindsided site like this and go read something with believability......

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123019117

it was 4 minutes, it did not cost millions in damage to b-1's, and overall the test was incredibly succesful compared to what they wanted. and they opened the doors for the sake of those people standing on the scaffolding.
now grow some brain cells and quit being qullable.

Last edited by comphappy; 04-20-2006 at 04:05 PM.
comphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:53 AM   #38
comphappy
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
OK, so the timeline was wrong and the system did not fail to shut off when it should. That's good news.
BUT;
1- It did not perform as expected.
2- The fact it performed better than expected still means they were wrong.
3- It caught everyone involved, off guard.
4- To fill the hangar and coat the countryside was not planned
5- It's funny as hell.

Of course, as Master Sgt. Dana Rogers said, all that emailing does more damage than the excess foam so, no harm, no foul.
Just Easter egg on their faces.
1-NO it performed better then expected.
2-It's a test they didn't know how it was going to perform, that's why they were TESTING IT.
3-true
4-no harm no foul
5-so is the intelligence level of this thread.

Dirk: we don't have b2's that would be a base elsewhere in the midwest, we have b-1's not quite as expensive but still very costly.
The B2 cost rougly 7 times that of the b1.

Last edited by comphappy; 04-20-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:06 AM   #39
glatt

Hey comphappy, welcome to the Cellar.

You're basically just arguing semantics. If there are expectations before a test, and then the results are different than those expectations, then those expectations were wrong. You're right. It's just a test, so it's no big deal. And it's just a bunch of harmless foam. No harm, no foul, as you say.

Nobody is saying that the fine men and women at Ellsworth are idiots. This thread is just a great picture story. It's funny. Look at all that foam! It's received a lot of attention, which is further proof that it's a great sequence of images.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:08 AM   #40
gen131
One size doesnt fit all

cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by comphappy
we have b-1's not quite as expensive but still very costly.
The B2 cost rougly 7 times that of the b1.
Speaking of Cost. I just recently read a blurb that says that the B-2's are worth (or cost) more than their weight in gold. I dont know the exact specs on the weight of a B-2, but I know they are pretty darn heavy. That's a lot of gold!

Ahh... Military bluntness permeates the post's of comphappy. One thing about being in the military, is that soldiers are usually not slow to express their opinions or feelings about topics or other people. Unless of course that other person significantly outranks you, in which case you might hold off on your opinions of his character, and stick to opinions of the topic at hand. Except perhaps if you have a good working relationship with him, and you do not take it to the point of disrespect or disregard for his authority.
gen131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #41
comphappy
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen131
Speaking of Cost. I just recently read a blurb that says that the B-2's are worth (or cost) more than their weight in gold. I dont know the exact specs on the weight of a B-2, but I know they are pretty darn heavy. That's a lot of gold!

Ahh... Military bluntness permeates the post's of comphappy. One thing about being in the military, is that soldiers are usually not slow to express their opinions or feelings about topics or other people. Unless of course that other person significantly outranks you, in which case you might hold off on your opinions of his character, and stick to opinions of the topic at hand. Except perhaps if you have a good working relationship with him, and you do not take it to the point of disrespect or disregard for his authority.
Your correct about the weight/cost thing. an empty B2 weighs 154000 rounded up, in gold that's 1.6 billion rounded up, a B2 cost more then 2 billion.

as far as bluntness goes, I got it from my mother but then she was an army brat.

And arn't you the one that said the Air Force doesn't have soldiers it has Airmen. I know you were just trying to make a point, but you could use miltary personnel instead it's more of a generalization as not to offend anyone.
And are you military? you seem to think you know abunch about it. it really has nothing to do with rank but more of relationship between between two people. I have two e-5's above me and I might jokingly call one of them an A**hole or an idiot but then the other one I wouldn't because the one is more relaxed like that, and the other one is all high and mighty disciplined like.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:52 PM   #42
Ernster
Neophyte-in-training

Haha, those pictures are awesome, regardless of the spin the military tries to put on what happened. Two stories of foam is two stories of foam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comphappy
And are you military? you seem to think you know abunch about it. it really has nothing to do with rank but more of relationship between between two people. I have two e-5's above me and I might jokingly call one of them an A**hole or an idiot but then the other one I wouldn't because the one is more relaxed like that, and the other one is all high and mighty disciplined like.
I believe gen131 was referring to your insinuations that the posters here, and xoxoxoBruce in particular, have less than average intelligence. Seeing as how you don't have a relaxed relationship with Bruce, who seems to be one of the authority figures on the board, gen131 suggested you should keep your disrespectful "opinions of his character" to yourself.

Just sayin'.
Ernster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:11 PM   #43
comphappy
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernster
Haha, those pictures are awesome, regardless of the spin the military tries to put on what happened. Two stories of foam is two stories of foam.

I believe gen131 was referring to your insinuations that the posters here, and xoxoxoBruce in particular, have less than average intelligence. Seeing as how you don't have a relaxed relationship with Bruce, who seems to be one of the authority figures on the board, gen131 suggested you should keep your disrespectful "opinions of his character" to yourself.

Just sayin'.
okay, just for the hell of it remark of idiocy removed.

and the comment was in no particular way directed toward Bruce more then any one else that had previously posted in this thread.

as far as authority figure on a web forum?? ROFL-I didn't think this existed. and even if it did, the way in which I speak to my boss who can influence my job security and the guy that polices my web postings have absolutly no bearing on each other.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:47 PM   #44
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hello comphappy, glad you stopped by.
The "Air Force Link" you posted had been already posted by Undertoad in post #25.
If you follow the thread, yes, the original posting had the wrong facts. I was misled and I misled Undertoad. After post #25 the real story was known and that's what I was saying in my post you quoted, that even with the true circumstances known, it was still funny. If anyone is to "blame", it's the overzealous contractor, that supplied the system, for not knowing it's capabilities.

What I found as funny as the pictures is the tightassed tap dancing by Tech. Sgt. Steven D. Wilson, Lt. Col. Navnit Singh and Master Sgt. Dana Rogers, trying to be all serious and military.

If you poke around the Cellar a bit, you'll find we're pretty split on what the military is doing, under orders, these days. But that said, I think you'll find we (99% at least) have nothing but respect and admiration for the men and women that have to carry out those orders.

If you feel personally offended by this thread and the comments in it, you shouldn't.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:59 PM   #45
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernster
Welcome to the Cellar, Ernster.
"Authority figure"? Moi? Naw, just another opinionated bastard that likes to throw my 2 cents into the mix.