The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-02-2017, 01:26 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Aug 2nd, 2017: Oil is a Gas

Around 1885 Joseph Newton Pew (You’ve heard of the Pew Foundation) founded the Sun Oil Co., in the southeast corner of PA.
Of course oil had been discovered at the other end of PA for Sun Oil to refine into lubricants and kerosene.

And then… and then… The SS Paraguay delivered the first shipment of 19,231 barrels of crude, oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.
PA had oil, Texas had shiploads. Houdry developed the catalytic cracker process in the 1930s, Sun Oil was off and running.
During the big one, WW II, Sun shipped 41 million barrels over 2.3 million miles of ocean, losing 4 tankers and 141 men to subs.
But the refinery business changed, major brands pulled out and refineries were closed, the business left to independents.
Sun's huge area of picnic tables and softball fields is now an office park. The recreation center across the street with it’s yuge
gymnasiums, is now a movie studio, Yes Sun was setting around here.

And then… and then… fracking. Sun’s Marcus Hook Refinery lives as the perfect place to process the natural gas liquids, then
distribute them to the huddled masses. Export a lot too, because some huddled masses pay better than others.

The fly in the ointment is the refinery sits on the Delaware river and the frackers are hither and yon. Aha, Sun had a 350 mile,
8” petroleum pipeline to Ohio. Refurbish that puppy, call it Mariner 1 (damifino), and transport 70,000 barrels a day
of liquid propane and ethane. Chicken feed. Now Sunoco Logistics decides to spend a few $Billion to build a parallel pipeline
across the state. Mariner 2, a 20 inch high pressure line will carry 275,000 gallons a day… to start.

To refurbish an existing line is one thing but building a new line is a regulatory nightmare with so many jurisdictions, especially
down here with dense populations. But Sun has money and clout, so a lot of the local politicians rolled over, in clover.
After a bunch of eminent domains and creek polluting stuff the obvious solution was to change their name.
So Sunoco Logistics married Energy Transfer Partners (ever hear of Standing Rock) and took his name

But there’s always some fussbudgets who want to stand in the way of profit er, progress
Like the people in these apartment buildings are all pissy about a 20 inch, high pressure pipe carrying big badaboom stuff less
than 75 feet from their home. Love it or leave it ya hippies.

Mariner 2 will cross Chester Creek less than a quarter mile from me. The two lane road winds along the creek and the dry side is
steep banks, yuge trees, and rock cliffs 50+ feet high. Today they installed a 4 ft concrete barrier, with 4 ft of chainlink on top,
down the middle of the road , and a sign at the end saying, “NO WIDE LOADS”.
Guess they’re gonna put a hurtin' on that rock.

link

http://www.delcotimes.com/article/DC...NEWS/170509672

http://www.landscapes2.org/pipeline/ProjectsMariner.cfm
Old 08-02-2017, 03:04 AM   #2
SPUCK
Professor

Interesting stuff that. Keep us posted. Neat to see the path thru reality. Ah'hem, glad it's not mine.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'll try to get some pictures but security around the construction is really tight and I might have to get academy award nomination pushy and obnoxious. I do have a PA carry permit though.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

If they get assholey on ya, just snap some pictures of the assholes, post 'em here, and we'll 'shop 'em up proper.

That'll learn 'em.

And Spuck's right. Interesting stuff.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Just GoogleEarthing the joint...Man, there's a big damn hole a couple miles north of Chester Heights. And by big, I mean deep. Sorta. I guess I just wasn't expecting to see a spot in Pennsylvania 187 feet below sea level. In Pennsylvania.

Name:  northofchesterheights.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  184.1 KB

Name:  deephole.JPG
Views: 672
Size:  19.8 KB

Am I reading that right? Does that -187 ft indicate below sea level?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sand and gravel deposit left from when the Alleghenies were as big as the Rockies. South Jersey and Delaware are sand bars from those mountains. I'm a hundred miles from the Jersey shore and the creek behind my house is 35 feet above sea level, the house less than 50.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:17 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It was raining today which messed me up, but cleared this afternoon so I tried to get some pictures. Where the stop sign dude
was standing I parked on the opposite shoulder and walked on. He didn’t try to stop me but immediately got on his walkie talkie
telling them a man with a camera on foot. So around the bend about a hundred yards is dude #2 at the end of the new concrete
divider, also informing the NSA/KGB of my movements. I didn’t challenge him because to go futher me and the traffic would be
sharing 10 feet. This shall NOT be a suicide mission.
I lied, the concrete is only 3 feet not 4, but the chainlink is much more than 4 ft, maybe 8.

So I go back to the truck and make sure I’m the last in line, make a quick stop at the main activity, snap a picture and
drop the camera on the seat. I'm such a clever monkey. I couldn’t dawdle because the exit stop sign dude and traffic
waiting to go could see me. You know, bad form to delay pickups headed for the gun club.
I get home and download the camera to show the picture above and a nice shot of the passenger door panel.
The shutter was delayed for some reason.

If I walked down the other side of the creek, or even along the sort of bank on the near side, I could probably get a pretty good shot,
but my knees and balance won’t permit that. I haven't given up though.

Smell sawdust burning? That’s because I’ve been thinking and have come up with a scenario.
My guess is they will dig a pit at the bottom of the cliff then start a ways back from the top and angle bore to the pit.
Then turn around and bore under the creek. But that’s a guess.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:37 PM   #8
SPUCK
Professor

Wow Bruce that's some fast recon work!

I don't understand why they didn't just run the second line along the same right-of-way as the first one. Isn't that MUCH simpler?
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:12 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Damifino, something like 80 % of the 350 miles they run together on the same right of way. But in Delaware County you see what happened. It may be when the 8 inch line that became Mariner 1 was constructed the impact of private wells/water supplies wasn't considered. For Mariner 2 the state permits are very strict about that. I'm guessing. Maybe following the Mariner 1 route the money would go into the wrong political party pockets.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:22 AM   #10
glatt

A quarter mile from your house, huh?

Name:  gasline2.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  39.7 KB

The houses in the woods off in the distance a ways are .29 miles from this pipeline road crossing just outside Appomatox, VA.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:32 AM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Here's the alternative
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:37 AM   #12
glatt

Sure. For now.

There's also this alternative coming soon.

Name:  tesla-ceo-elon-musk-presents-powerwall-2-0-and-solarcity-solar-roof_100579172_m.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  31.3 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:54 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I noticed when the protests against the Dakota Access Pipeline started picking up, at least the media coverage did, there was a spike in petroleum carrying rail car accidents. This may be the result like plane crashes of the media paying more attention to what's happening. Knowing the biggest benefactor of oil moved by rail is Warren Buffet, and the pipelines would kill his windfall, made me sit up and anticipate the next broadcast.
Pipelines are probably safer than railcars but we're comparing Crude Oil to liquid Butane/Ethtane.

After considerable maneuvering during two trips, I got two good shots of the area where I speculated the dig will be. Seeing it has me even more convinced I'm right. I could also hear a big racket up on the hill somewhere. I'll bet it's the boring machine at work.
Got home, downloaded, no new pictures but half the pictures I deleted from the camera yesterday are back. That's it. Mr Olympus, let me introduce you to Mr Wesson. Never met Mr Smith, but personally known the last three Mr Wessons... prepare to die. I still have Mr Kodak but I don't see my fat fingers, or any other fat things, shrinking in the immediate future.
I've been delaying a smart phone but may be a better option than replacing Mr Olympus.

Looking at all the online information, both pro and con, the routing, technology, and politics for Mariner-2 are fucking amazing. Hopefully it will have a big payback in the future, financially for S.E. PA, and ecologically for the globe.
But Mr Olympus is still history unless I find it has a suck function.
I'll keep you posted as best I can.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:19 PM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

They say Chester County is horrified by it
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:56 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It gets muddy when they start mixing bentonite leakage with a leaking pipeline. The bentonite is a lubricant for the horizontal drilling, and non toxic, although it can cloud the water for a spell. It could leak at anytime due to geology.
But equating the bentonite with a pipeline leak is stupid. Think, a pipeline leak would cost them money, they'll do all they can to prevent that.
Quote:
“Mommy, what’s in that pipeline" and "Mommy, are you going to keep us safe?”
Give me a fucking break. Just tell them it's gas and it's cool. Why the fuck would you want to project your paranoia on the kids?
I'm concerned about the well contamination because I have a well... duh.
The Canadian geese? Fuck those wetback flying pigs. Anyone concerned about them, hasn't had to live with them. Die feathery scum.