The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-04-2017, 03:37 AM   #16
SPUCK
Professor

Interesting article to cover your question of safety via trains/pipelines.

Forbes

And yes Bruce do consider using a smart-phone camera in lue of buying another camera.

My Samsung S6 takes very sharp pictures very quickly. The closeups are amazing and very helpful. I find myself taking pictures of all sorts of stuff just so I can more easily read it clear and zoomed.

The only time it takes inferior pictures is things like sunsets. They're washed out pretty badly, which is odd to me because I never see color issues on non-sunset pictures.

I'd suggest you go to a place like https://swappa.com/buy/devices/verizon

and get an S6, or S7. You'll save a fortune over getting the latest and frankly after about S4 they're all very good.

I got my better half an S5 and she loves it and because I didn't buy it from Verizon they charge me $20/mo less as a "convert" rather than a standard customer.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:22 AM   #17
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Why the fuck would you want to project your paranoia on the kids?
I noticed the hell out of that. But it's stock in trade man, that's what they do. Very important for the cause.

I will always remember a play we did in 5th grade, for the entire grade. There was an actual gas mask as a prop, and one kid put it on, and the audience of children was told this would be what all kids would have to do, in order to play outside, in ten years.

Gas masks, so weird with their big eyes and weird trumpety mouth, are terrifying to kids... we were all pretty shocked. I remember that lesson completely, even today: by 1982, it will be THAT BAD.

But I'm sure many of us just grew up and realized that this is how it works, we should be scaring the shit out of the children. It's good for them, like hitting them with sticks was good for the previous generations.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:09 AM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Holy shit, SPUCK, that Forbes article has so much information I'm going to have to take notes. Good find.

UT, do you think those gasmask type scares have more people disbelieving scientists today.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:23 AM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

No look at those panicky moms and the panicky moms everywhere. I think they took the lesson in wholesale and remain frightened today.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #20
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Rail is better. Even if they increase the number of cars, it's still going to be a bottleneck both in quantity and cost. Plus the increased revenue to the railways for new infrastructure helps everyone who ships or travels by rail, while a pipeline is single-purpose.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:17 AM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Money Money Money, it's alway about the Money.

Quote:
Like always, it will probably come down to money. And it won’t be about jobs (Pipeline Jobs), regardless of which end of the spectrum you believe, because there just isn’t enough jobs to matter compared to the value of the oil itself and the refinery capacity. It’s simply cheaper and quicker to transport by pipeline than by rail or by truck. The difference in cost is about $50 billion a year for shipping via the Keystone versus rail, totally eclipsing any economic effect of jobs in either direction.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:12 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They have cleared the flat where I think they will dig the hole for the machine to bore under the creek cleared out.
To the left is the rock I thought they would bore under.

But they are also working to the right of the flat, and up behind that is the gun club... hmm.

So I drove up the club driveway and lo and behold a pit and machinery.

I didn't get closer because I don't want to become a persona non grata just yet. Apparently I guessed wrong and the line went
around the club and will come down to the flat from the right side avoiding the ledge completely.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:48 AM   #23
glatt

Chester.

I thought of this thread over the weekend as I was on a whirlwind trip up to NJ.

I've driven this stretch of road countless times. It's the major route up the East Coast if you are taking the Commodore Barry Bridge and 295 to avoid the tolls on the turnpike in New Jersey.

EVERY SINGLE TIME I come to this particular block in Chester county, and I'm flying by on the highway I spend those 10 seconds or so just looking at this neighborhood and feeling such empathy for the poor sad souls who live in these houses. Can you imagine what it's like for them? A steady stream of trucks and cars 15 feet from their front doors flying by at 70MPH. Seven lanes of them. Non-stop. 24 hours a day.

I must have driven this 400 foot stretch of highway 30 times or more. Maybe 50 times.

Those poor poor bastards. Can you imagine?
Name:  poor souls in Chester.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  71.9 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #24
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I drive that section regularly and there's a very good chance it will be on my commute next year

I believe that quality replacement windows are the solution to that kind of problem, as quality replacement windows can reduce sound by an amazing amount. I also believe that the people living right there do not have the coin for any replacement windows.

They have a bigger problem in that they live in Chester. Usually on the list of the Worst Places In America.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #25
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Surely those are all rentals as well. They'd be relying on slum lords to install them, even more unlikely.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #26
glatt

A little more from their perspective.

Name:  curb appeal.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  142.7 KB
Old 08-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Chester.

EVERY SINGLE TIME I come to this particular block in Chester county, and I'm flying by on the highway I spend those 10 seconds or so just looking at this neighborhood and feeling such empathy for the poor sad souls who live in these houses.
Delaware County, isn't it?
Old 08-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #28
glatt

Yeah. Probably. It says Chester on the map, but maybe that's the township. It's just south of the Commodore Barry Bridge. Like half a mile.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #29
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

OK, you come up I-95 and cross the Barry to I-295 going north. How do you come back south?

Coming north the NJ turnpike would be $4.35 to say Bordontown/Trenton. South bound would be $4.35 plus $4 for the DE Memorial, but the Barry would be $5.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 08-07-2017 at 11:06 AM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #30
glatt

Depends on the trip, but usually the same way but in reverse. You get the toll on the bridge, but skip most of the toll on the turnpike.

On this trip, we never went over that bridge. Went up along the Delaware river and crossed a tiny bridge by Frenchtown. Went to Spruce Run Recreation Area (don't ever go here) and Beneduce Vineyards to see a show. Came back via 95 near Trenton.