The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #1951
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
We had and kept our snow.
Keep it. We don't need it.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #1952
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I say we put it at TW's house...

...or a lake in Cameroon.
ISWYDT, Gravedigr. Fizzy....

Note also tw's half truths, fanatically held and desperately chanted, re the American automobile (all American autos, he says) about some half-vast conspiracy to hold auto fuel efficiency and horsepower for engine displacement below some certain level -- for tw to complain arbitrarily about.

Tw's not the technician he poses as. Not even in theory. He won't shut up, and he doesn't put up. He doesn't even solicit clients here for the service in the next paragraph.

Fact is, if he were that good, he'd be personally reworking his car's engine so it'd run six weeks on ten gallons of regular, with water/methanol injection and running cylinder linings and valves at orange-red heat for high mileage. And not incidentally, delivering oxides of nitrogen enough to smog over all of Detroit. That's what really high combustion temperature in accordance with a large difference of heat from ignition to exhaust, yielding tremendous efficiency at making power from fuel, does -- if the heat-engine's an air breather.

A red hot heat-engine has a hellacious power output for its size and weight, but iron engines don't last any too well at those temps. The metal of the engine, valves, and pistons limit the temps you can burn gasoline at. And refractory ceramics are brittle, and have a short mechanical wear life to boot. Heat energy not propelling the vehicle is dumped via the radiator, circulating water through the block.

No wonder some car guys like turbochargers to scavenge energy from the exhaust.

Tw's horsepower posits all reckon without acceleration, which higher horsepower engine output adds up to considerably more than the power required to maintain cruise. Reading the tachometer in your dashboard will tell you as much -- the vrooom needle is well around the dial in max acceleration, more nearly approaching redline than at nearly any other time or regime. At 65-70 mph, reasonable highway cruise speeds, the needle's well back down: graphically showing you the engine is not generating as much to overcome air resistance and push the vehicle down the road at a pace established by equilibrium between engine output and wind resistance as it was when it was accelerating the vehicle. Engine horsepower rating is listed as a function of a certain RPM. You can do some math plugging in the lower RPM of cruise to give you how much horsepower the engine is generating then. Horsepower over and above that is not wasted; it is waiting, in reserve.

Returning to his half truths -- what our ole boy has done is built a conspiracy air castle from -- get this -- General Motors' management culture. It has a rather strange but legalistic root: General Motors was never prosecuted (nor even threatened) in an antitrust lawsuit. Yet for decades, it behaved as if in mortal fear that it would be. This defensiveness held back both on GM sales and GM technological innovation for decades, the one influencing the other: not having to push for the last sale, they had no push for innovations either. This, I think, affected only GM. Ford, for instance, never had to worry about it, and had a better idea. (This dates back towards the end of the GM tech doldrums.)

He wants us to believe it was all a malevolent conspiracy, glibly alleging it was for somebody to monetize. I put it to you: who needs a conspiracy when you have a culture? Aaaand, also note, how little tw is doing to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #1953
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Weather: well, we wouldn't have minded the snow at all. We like to have it on the Sierras, being as that's the best place we've got to keep it. Feeding streams.

Around here, a lot of it's aquifers. In my town, we have to maintain against seawater incursion, as all our local aquifers have their feet in the ocean; we need to have enough fresh water dumped in at the top end. We have a reverse-osmosis desalination plant to help with that.

Weather: we recently had an attack of high wind, with several brush fires started. All are now contained or out, with minimal casualty to human things.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:09 AM   #1954
Griff
still says videotape

This is probably not the time to bust tw's chops. Something is up, but what it is I don't know.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:10 AM   #1955
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Weather: well, we wouldn't have minded the snow at all. We like to have it on the Sierras, being as that's the best place we've got to keep it. Feeding streams.

Around here, a lot of it's aquifers. In my town, we have to maintain against seawater incursion, as all our local aquifers have their feet in the ocean; we need to have enough fresh water dumped in at the top end. We have a reverse-osmosis desalination plant to help with that.

Weather: we recently had an attack of high wind, with several brush fires started. All are now contained or out, with minimal casualty to human things.
Home power production is looking smarter out there.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #1956
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Did I read recently that all new homes over a certain size in CA must have a certain amount of solar panels?

Mighta just been LA county?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #1957
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

44 degrees this morning at sun-up.

♪ ♫It's like a heat wave!♪ ♫

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #1958
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Home power production is looking smarter out there.
Buried power lines do not create forest fires.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:48 PM   #1959
monster
I hear them call the tide

12 inches :/
Old 11-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #1960
glatt

I am used to keeping an eye on satellite fire maps since my brother lives out West, but now that my girl is in Australia, I'm getting good at reading their maps too. Currently the wind patterns are favorable for her.

Thanks, windy.com, for the detailed info.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #1961
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

My yard is covered with sleet.

33 degrees.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:12 PM   #1962
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Currently we have precipitation, high winds, and borderline freezing temps. I have important shit to do tomorrow, so the roads better be thawed by morning if they know what's good for them.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:33 AM   #1963
Griff
still says videotape

22F a bit of snow a bit of sleet
Old 11-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #1964
Luce
Weaponized Funk

It is a bone-chilling 76F right now. This is like a Jack London novel, and everyone died.
Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #1965
Griff
still says videotape

15F. Bit nippy.