The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-14-2020, 01:01 PM   #16
Griff
still says videotape

Wearing a mask isn't a partisan issue yet here we are.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:49 PM   #17
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Republicans and Democrats WHO USE MAIL-IN VOTING equally love it, and equally have no issues with it.
That is not what so many polls are saying. This issue is this extreme. Something like 80% of Democrats approve of mail-in voting. Something like 70% of Republican disapprove.

Trump orders people what to think. The brainwashed automatically believe what they are told. Does not matter that he is lying. The commandment is ordered and automatically believed.

Eliminate mail-in voting so that the reduced numbers of polls in large cities mean everything must wait in line for hours. As already happened in some cities during primaries. It will only get worse in November.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:06 PM   #18
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
WHO USE MAIL-IN VOTING
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:49 PM   #19
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

What only matters are all voters. Since any one or all may need that voting option. All voters must have that option. Only opinions of all matters.

Even a scumbag and a wife he cheats on vote in Florida using mail-in ballots. Why should he have that right but not others? Because he is honest?

He says mail-in voting creates fraud and corruption. His entire adult life has been fraud and corruption. So he votes by mail. Double standard? Of course. Narcissistic personality disorder means his corruption is acceptable.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:50 PM   #20
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
:::ahem:::

:::tap tap tap:::

WE'VE BEEN VOTING BY MAIL IN OREGON FOR DECADES, AND IT WORKS REALLY WELL, AND WE DON'T HAVE ANY ISSUES WITH IT, AND EVERYBODY LOVES IT. WE DON'T KNOW WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE REST OF YOU.

I hear ya, brother.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:59 PM   #21
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

This just in from the hoist on one's own petard department :

Trump's words and actions designed to degrade postal service in the name of "preventing election fraud" are having an unexpected and unfortunate consequence. Many veterans who rely on the Postal Service for the delivery of their medicines and other benefits have reported serious delays.

Trump's oblivious disregard for such side effects of his evil actions *is* legendary, but I think this one has the potential to cause his plans to backfire.

TBH, they probably won't backfire on him, he'll just push some other poor bastard under the bus. But it may well catalyze some changes for the better.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:01 PM   #22
Ibby
erika

posted this in a different thread cause it was the subject of discussion there too but cross-posting it here cause it really should belong here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...381_story.html:
Quote:
Postal Service warns 46 states their voters could be disenfranchised by delayed mail-in ballots

Anticipating an avalanche of absentee ballots, the U.S. Postal Service recently sent detailed letters to 46 states and D.C. warning that it cannot guarantee all ballots cast by mail for the November election will arrive in time to be counted — adding another layer of uncertainty ahead of the high-stakes presidential contest.

The letters sketch a grim possibility for the tens of millions of Americans eligible for a mail-in ballot this fall: Even if people follow all of their state’s election rules, the pace of Postal Service delivery may disqualify their votes.

The Postal Service’s warnings of potential disenfranchisement came as the agency undergoes a sweeping organizational and policy overhaul amid dire financial conditions. Cost-cutting moves have already delayed mail delivery by as much as a week in some places, and a new decision to decommission 10 percent of the Postal Service’s sorting machines sparked widespread concern the slowdowns will only worsen. Rank-and-file postal workers say the move is ill-timed and could sharply diminish the speedy processing of flat mail, including letters and ballots.

With the caveat that obviously democratic voting strongholds tend to be population centers, so this is correlation but hypothetically not causation, people on twitter have overlaid that map with the pro-hillary margin in 2016:

Name:  Efaq316WkAEkDds.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  153.1 KB

as one of the authors of the article pointed out on twitter:
Quote:
One word of caution. A lot of folks are looking at the map and saying these removals are targeted at Dem. strongholds. We don't know that. Dem. strongholds tend to be population centers. The removals may simply be following population patterns.

But on the other hand we don't *not* know that either because USPS hasn't provided any clear public rationale for why they're doing what they're doing

At the very least, making this kind of radical overhaul to a critical system in an unprecedented election year seems like a very iffy proposition. It's not clear why all these changes have to be done *right now*, rather than postponing them a year given the pandemic.

all of which, again, i would say serves fundamentally to erode public trust in the voting process and muddy the election waters. unless its an inarguable blowout landslide victory for either side, neither side is going to have faith in any result. that scares the shit outta me.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:34 PM   #23
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Cross post at will, friend

This is a free fire zone.

Or, in cellar lingo, thread drift is inevitable, all you can do is launch it and let it go.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

From the bias newspaper that Amazon guy owns...
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2020, 09:47 AM   #25
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I believe this is standard operating procedure for both parties since Bush v Gore.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Ballots won't have postmarks. That goes on the envelope not the ballot.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #27
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

ridiculous arguments are quickly dismissed in law
Old 08-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #28
Ibby
erika

do you find it far-fetched that the trump campaign's overall objective might be to delay, obfuscate, muddle, and confuse more than it is to win in court? i'm personally far past the point of assuming good faith, after a lengthy and forceful push to portray mail-in voting as untrustable, unreliable, and undemocratic.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:22 PM   #29
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

when it comes to the Presidency, you don't spend expensive lawyer money to not win
Old 08-16-2020, 03:36 PM   #30
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
... i'm personally far past the point of assuming good faith, after a lengthy and forceful push to portray mail-in voting as untrustable, unreliable, and undemocratic.
How sad for you.

True story:

I've long been signed up for the USPS Informed Delivery Daily Digest service (it's free). When mail addressed to me goes through the sorting scanners, an image is captured and I receive those images in an email announcing those items are on their way to me.

Just this past week I got an email showing detailed images of two official mail-in ballot application forms, with my exact address on them, sent by the County Clerk's office. The names on those two mail-in ballot application forms were of people who don't live at my address and that I've never heard of.

That means there there are two people who have managed to get fraudulently registered (deceived, bribed, hacked?) with the County as voters at my address who can apply for mail-in ballots with none of the challenges for establishing identification that an in-person voter would have to satisfy. All they'd have to do is check a box that says they still live here. There's also a provision on the application to have the mail-in ballot sent to another address... a write-in address.

The post office delivers based upon name, not address; so, those applications were never delivered to me and I won't have an opportunity to turn them in (I still have the email though). Anyone having IDs (genuine or fake) with those names can now claim those mailings, fill out the request for mail-in ballots, and have those ballots sent to an address of their choosing.

That's two votes by people who may not even be eligible to vote versus my one eligible vote thanks to mail-in ballots. There's always been corruption in the voting system. Mail-in ballots can exacerbate that. The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain. - Scotty. They're best used when necessary to keep eligible voters from being disenfranchised rather than for mere convenience.

Of course, my address on those applications could have been just a typo; but, I wanted to tell my wonderful story on this Sunday afternoon.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote