The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-05-2004, 10:44 PM   #16
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I'll cast a vote for Whose Line Is It Anyway? Minus Drew Carey, those comics are talented. This is from a guy who USED to do stand up and let his "big break" go, for which I shall be forever bitter.

I don't think *I* could make up comedy on the spot like they do and certainly could not invent "song" lyrics, no matter how stupid.
Improvisational comedy is the toughest, in my opinion. Sometimes, I'm inspired to make really funny jokes, but most times I recycle other comics' material whether or not I'm aware of it. Legacy of listening to WYSP on Sunday nights back around the early eighties. Then I'd tune in WIP for the Mystery Theatre. Man, I liked to hear the old fashioned radio telecasts. There isn't anything on the radio to match that anymore.

Brian
Old 03-06-2004, 12:36 AM   #17
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I don't spend the kind of time listening to comics that I once did ... if I go through my boxes of LPs (no record player) and cassette tapes I have a number of comedy albums, including Vaughn Meador's "The First Family", David Frye's "Richard Nixon: A Fantasy", a couple of Steve Martin albums, Bobcat Goldthwait's "Meat Bob", and some Bill Cosby classics from the 60s including "Wonderfulness", "Why is There Air", "Bill Cosby is a Very Funny Fellow (RIGHT)", Robin Williams "Reality, What a Concept."

I even have the Saturday Night Live Album that was produced when the show was young and still funny and fresh.

Lenny Bruce, before he started reading the text of his obscenity suit was great, and Bill Hicks is sorely, sorely missed.

It's been a very LONG time since I've heard any comic that truly brought tears to my eyes and had me gasping for breath from the laughter.

It's not, I suppose, that things aren't as funny anymore, but that comedic styles have changed to be more focused on the overly laconic Seinfeld style comedy, which while interesting and occasionally amusing, isn't gut-busting funny.

I haven't been able to watch very many HBO comedy specials either. They still MAKE them, they just aren't worth my time. Eddie Izzard is quite cool ... but he's British, so he can't help it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:30 PM   #18
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by Kitsune
These guys are hilarious because they are THE originals. Their acts will never fade away, nor cease to be funny to me. Come on -- it doesn't get funnier than connecting the water line to the electrical conduits and having some poor chef go nuts as the lightbulbs fill with water, stove sprays him, etc.
The interesting thing about the Stooges is that they were second bananas to Ted Healy, who created and managed the act as"Ted Healy and His Racketeers", "Ted Healy and His Three Southern Gentlemen", "Ted Healy and His Gang," or "Ted Healy and His Stooges". The fact that they broke off and went on to surpass Healy just illustrates that in show business talent usually rises to the top.

Jonathan Harris is a good example of talent. He took an unsympathetic character in "Lost in Space", goofed himself up, and stretched what I heard was supposed to be a 'guest star' role through the entire run of the show.

The farm system analogy does work. Mike Meyers came from SNL and is doing great work, and in true Jerry Lewis fashion is taking full creative control and working behind the camera.

I still want more. SNL is in decline..again. Mad TV is doing some good stuff. 'Whose Line Is It" is interesting, but it's still just improvisation, and nothing like "Your Show of Shows" or the other greats.

Watching Phil Silvers and Zero Mostel go head to head in "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum", or the entire 'Who's on First" skit reminded me that I haven't seen anything that good in over a decade.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:36 PM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The time has come for your household to embrace the evil cable.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 01:26 PM   #20
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
The time has come for your household to embrace the evil cable.
I have cable, and still can't find good new hilarious comedy. Some of the standup is ok, but still nothing like the old days.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 01:55 PM   #21
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

How about Colin Quinn's show following the Daily Show?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 01:57 PM   #22
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Colin Quinn is good, as well as Dave Chappelle.

I've also become a big fan of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" on HBO...this season has been especially funny thus far.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 02:05 PM   #23
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

hysterical, but painful to watch.

i stopped as i was walking past the tv last week, and Larry was tyring to sneak a peek at some sports star's package as they peed at urinals next to each other. i ran out of the room, but still heard him getting busted by the guy. he IS george costanza, isnt he? gives me the same creepy vibes.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 02:17 PM   #24
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

He and Richard Lewis were looking at Muggsy Bogues's package b/c Richard was concerned that the new girl he was seeing (who was black) might find his penis inadequate.

The show is a lot like Seinfeld, but the language is more liberal and the storylines are better. Goddamn, I love that show.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 04:09 PM   #25
nekee
naughty nurse

John Henson

Anyone seen the John Henson project show yet? It's on right after Monday Night Raw and it is very funny. He has a man of the week who does something crazy. Last week I think it was this farmer who fell off of his tractor or something and it ripped his arm off at the shoulder. The farmer then picked up his arm got on the tractor drove to the road got off the tractor opened the gate got back onthe tractor drove through the gate got off again and shut the gate (dont forget he has his arm ripped off) gets back on the tractor and drives himself to get help. Anyone else find this odd? Screw the gate your damn arm got ripped off! Geez.
nekee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 04:21 PM   #26
Shattered Soul
Shuttered and locked

The OLD "Whose Line Is It Anyway," with Clive Anderson, rocked. I miss that one.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:23 PM   #27
Shattered Soul
Shuttered and locked

Gallagher. I like him. You know,

"Why do vampires chase Christians? Chase Muslims, or Jews...they WON'T be carrying a CROSS!"

That's just funny when you think about it.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:51 AM   #28
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Re: John Henson

Quote:
Originally posted by nekee
Anyone seen the John Henson project show yet? It's on right after Monday Night Raw and it is very funny. He has a man of the week who does something crazy. Last week I think it was this farmer who fell off of his tractor or something and it ripped his arm off at the shoulder. The farmer then picked up his arm got on the tractor drove to the road got off the tractor opened the gate got back onthe tractor drove through the gate got off again and shut the gate (dont forget he has his arm ripped off) gets back on the tractor and drives himself to get help. Anyone else find this odd? Screw the gate your damn arm got ripped off! Geez.
Yer from the big city, arentcha ...

damn, that's a funny scenario.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:02 AM   #29
novice
Ignorance is bliss and I'm orgasmic

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
[b]I don't spend the kind of time listening to comics that I once did ... if I go through my boxes of LPs (no record player)
Knowing you've visited The "collectibles" thread I initiated I can only assume you're deliberately taunting me. Harsh lady, harsh
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 08:34 AM   #30
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Dave Chappelle!
Watched that for the first time last night primarily because of what everyone said about him in this thread.

Add two more fans to the list!! I was howling at the "Michael Jackson/R Kelley jury selection" skit. That guy is hilarious!