The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #31
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I have absolutely nothing against anyone of any faith. Interesting how many people on the left are at the forefront of persecuting anyone in politics who expresses their faith in a religion but are so quick to defend people who worship Islam. I support anyone's right to worship anyone or anything they believe. As long as you don't try to forcibly make me think like you through legislation or acts to remove peoples right to worship as they please, I am cool with that.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #32
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
His outrage moved others to more fully explain and defend the unions position. (And then of course showed how weak his argument is)
Oh, you mean like this.....

Labor leaders must pay for parade if GOP banned, mayor says

Quote:
MILWAUKEE (Reuters) - The mayor of a Wisconsin town said on Tuesday a local labor council would have to reimburse the city up to $2,000 for a Labor Day parade if organizers exclude Republican lawmakers from attending.
The move in Wausau, Wisconsin, came after a county labor official said last week that Republican politicians were not welcome at the event due to their party's stance against collective bargaining when state lawmakers voted to curtail it earlier this year.
Wausau Mayor Jim Tipple told Reuters on Tuesday that the decision to exclude elected Republicans "flies in the face of public policy."
"This is not a political rally, it's a parade, for God's sake," Tipple said, noting that taxpayer money is used by the city to pay for staging the event. Tipple's office is nonpartisan, and he claims no affiliation with either political party.
He said the annual cost of the parade, including insurance, setting up and taking down a stage, and police personnel, runs anywhere from $1,500 to $2,000 each year.
they should charge them double...
Old 09-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #33
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I hope they pay the $2000...its a reasonable enough amount and totally worth it.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #34
TheMercenary

Quote:
I hope they pay the $2000...its a reasonable enough amount and totally worth it.
I would rather see the city let them have the permit without the support of the Taxpayer funded services.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #35
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

why mercy? because you'd like to see them ... what? fail? be unsafe? Tell me why please.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #36
TheMercenary

Damm, those Union guys should be able to foot the bill easily if they get paid like this! I want a job like that!

Union leader draws lucrative pension perk based on false information

Quote:
Every month, Thomas Villanova gets a $9,000 reminder of how lucrative it can be to serve as a union leader in Chicago.

The sum is part of a city pension that comes on top of the $198,000 annual salary he is paid to represent the interests of thousands of city workers.

Villanova last worked for the city in 1989 as an electrical mechanic with the Department of Streets and Sanitation, making about $40,000 a year. Yet in 2008 he was allowed to retire at age 56 with a $108,000 city pension. That's because, under a little-known state law, his pension was based not on his city paycheck but on his much higher union salary.

This kind of deal is available only to union officials who meet certain requirements, but a Tribune/WGN-TV investigation has uncovered documents that show Villanova violated state law when he applied for the pension and cast doubt on whether he truly qualifies for all that money.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/w...,1997273.story
Old 09-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #37
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
I would rather see the city let them have the permit without the support of the Taxpayer funded services.
Remember though, the police and fire department were 100% behind the teachers union during the fight. Perhaps they would provide their services free of charge.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #38
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
why mercy? because you'd like to see them ... what? fail? be unsafe? Tell me why please.
I think that they have a skewed view of Labor represents. In the past all parades in this city have been non-partisan. It is only because of the recent events at the state level that this has risen to another level.

I agree with the mayor's statements...
Old 09-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #39
TheMercenary

Quote:
Remember though, the police and fire department were 100% behind the teachers union during the fight. Perhaps they would provide their services free of charge.
If I were mayor I would prohibit that. And they would still be using city property, uniforms, trucks, gas, etc, and such would not be allowed without the approval of the mayor.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #40
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

If I were King of the Forest, Not queen, not duke, not prince.
Attached Images

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #41
TheMercenary

I am sure the mayor has already stated his intentions on the issue... I can live with that.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:01 AM   #42
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Wisconsin Schools Buck Union, Cut Health Costs. Substantial savings.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #43
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
The contract required the school district to purchase health insurance from a company called WEA Trust. The creation of Wisconsin's largest teachers union -- "WEA" stands for Wisconsin Education Association -- WEA Trust made money when union officials used collective bargaining agreements to steer profitable business its way.
The problem for Hartland-Lakeside was that WEA Trust was charging significantly higher rates than the school district could find on the open market.
from another article...

Quote:
In the Hartland-Lakeside district, which faced a loss in state aid of $1.3 million, savings from staff contributions to pension and insurance yielded about $900,000. The district had reduced its budget through a reorganization effort the year before and also found $400,000 in other savings to replace the lost state aid.

Heading into the 2011-2012 school year, the district has been able to replace all retiring teachers (nearly 15 percent of the staff). In addition, Hartland-Lakeside has expanded its charter schools, and has put in place an innovative third and fourth grade virtual parent classroom. Enrichment opportunities for students, including extra support for students who need help, have been expanded, according to Superintendent Glenn Schilling.

Stephen Schiell, superintendent in Amery, says there’s no catastrophe in his district, either. “Next year will again be a challenge without the federal jobs money (federal stimulus money from the Obama administration) ... Not having to bargain with the union will make it easier to balance. Remember, we can always have our employees pay more for their benefits. The law does not have a cap.”

Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/e...#ixzz1YLxJumVY