The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

A Game of Thrones

I can't freaking wait
jimhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
Cloud

oooh, when? And did ol' George finish that series? Is it done now?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

spring 2011?

Quote:
On October 10, 2010, at the New York Comic Con, Spectra senior editor Anne Groell states that Martin has announced he has five chapters remaining, with sections of the chapters already completed. She also wants to get the manuscript completed by December.[26]

his not a blog journal
Old 11-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I think she probably has wanted the manuscript done by December several times already. Maybe the prospect of releasing the book with the show's premier will help him over the hump.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
Cloud

pretty much why I stopped reading them. Looked to be a Robert Jordan kind of thing.

Wish they would have made the "Wild Cards" movie.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I saw the ad the other night. I've read a lot of George RR. (loved Tuf Voyaging), but I don't think I ever got around to these.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 11-09-2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Dragon and the George was Gordon R. Dickson, wrong G.R. author.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

BEST BOOKS EVAR~!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Sent samples of the first two to my Kindle.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

They're long books; the characters are fucking savage or quite simply savages period, celibate or otherwise. What's been tough for me is to figure just what motivates these characters to go to the extremes they do -- their prize does not seem worth their efforts or their slaughters.

The supernatural Others seem even nastier and if anything even more pointless. So I tend to read that series with a gradually increasing sense of WTF.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Old 11-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I, too, have been waiting for this miniseries forever, and the 5th book for even longer than that. However, I don't have HBO, so I'll have to wait for Netflix to get it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:43 AM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I've read Game of Thrones, and a couple others, I think. Game of Thrones was pretty good. I was weaned into those types of stories on RA Salvatore. Everything else is just pretty good.

/drift:

I remember some 'Forgotten Realms'/'Dragonlance'/'Dungeons & Dragons'-type books where the stories all revolved around this horse-culture-type situation. The horse is like their equivalent of buffalo to the American Indian. The horse is woven into almost every nook of their society. They drink fermented mare's milk, everything is made from horses, like leather, blankets, etc.

Put me in mind of Mongolian Hordes, yurts, and khans.

Anybody know what I'm rambling about?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:41 AM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

I'm trying to knock off the last book in the thrones series, but it is caught up in a 5 book rotation...

GD, If you like that Mongol stuff Conn Iggulden has an excellent series of books. He took the time to live the life and it comes through in the writing.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Thanks for the tip.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #15
Sperlock
Elite Elitist

Horselords by David Cook, by chance? (Link to Amazon). I remember the book, though I did not read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I've read Game of Thrones, and a couple others, I think. Game of Thrones was pretty good. I was weaned into those types of stories on RA Salvatore. Everything else is just pretty good.

/drift:

I remember some 'Forgotten Realms'/'Dragonlance'/'Dungeons & Dragons'-type books where the stories all revolved around this horse-culture-type situation. The horse is like their equivalent of buffalo to the American Indian. The horse is woven into almost every nook of their society. They drink fermented mare's milk, everything is made from horses, like leather, blankets, etc.

Put me in mind of Mongolian Hordes, yurts, and khans.

Anybody know what I'm rambling about?