The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 09-10-2006, 12:05 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

September 10, 2006: Aerocar

It's become almost cliche since the year 2000: we were promised flying cars, where are our flying cars?

There was one, it turns out! Jacquelita forwards this set of photos of the Aerocar, which was first built in 1949.

There were only six of these ever built, and at a rather slow rate. The one shown here was finished in 1960, the fourth one. It turns out that, according to Wikipedia entry on the car, the third one was once ridden by that Raul Castro - Fidel's brother, and the guy currently running Cuba. Unfortunately for Raul, it ran out of fuel and crashed. Unfortunately for the rest of the world, it only damaged the vehicle and not Castro himself.

You couldn't get me in one of these - ever, but it didn't go all that fast anyway. The official specs:

Crew: 1
Wingspan: 10.4 m
Length: 7.0 m
Height: 2.1 m
Wing area: 17.7 sq. m
Empty weight: 680 kg
Takeoff weight: 952 kg
Engine: 1x Lycoming 0-320-A1A, 148 hp
Max. speed: 220 km/h
Cruise speed: 200 km/h
Ceiling: 3650 m
Takeoff roll: 200 m
Landing roll: 92 m
Range: 800 km
Payload: 1 passenger

But where's our flying car? Well there is an Aerocar website with a Lotus Elise convertible bolted onto an airframe:

But again, not for me - I'll take a separate convertible and plane, please, thank you very much. Way too much to go wrong, if they ever get it up in the air at all.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
milkfish
A serene breakdown

It would go faster if it had a decent set of tailfins. Well, what did they know in 1949?
Old 09-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

The Experimental Aircraft Association has one at their museum.

http://www.airventuremuseum.org/coll...%20Aerocar.asp

Now there's this

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The Aerocar, with a Lotus Elise convertible bolted onto an airframe, using a car that's already street legal, sounds like a logical plan. I can't help but wonder, however, how the suspension and tires for a 1500 lb car will stand up to landing a 3500 lb aircraft? Also, how will the cooling system(radiator) designed for a 1.8L, 4 cylinder, 190 hp engine, handle a twin-turbocharged 2.5 liter V8 engine that produces 350 hp?

I remember the Popular Science/Mechanix Magazine covers showing various iterations of flying cars. They always showed the sky in the background littered with the things going every which way. I hoped that was a misleading artists conception, and they would have to follow FAA flight rules, patterns and protocols. You know, like everyone obeys traffic laws on the ground.

If you think bird poop is a problem, wait till all your friends and neighbors take to the air.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:50 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
The 42
I'm not lurking, I'm stalking YOU!

I want one!

Can I have that turkey? I havn't been able to think what to make for dinner
The 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Not even close to George Jetson's standards.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #7
busterb
NSABFD

You eat Buzzard?
Old 09-10-2006, 08:39 PM   #8
Sperlock
Elite Elitist

People are idiotic enough driving on the road; the last thing we need is those same idiotic people flying in the air and crashing into some house or store.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:59 PM   #9
astrodex
May Ter Dee

I consider these to be planes that you can drive not flying cars. Perhaps it is a subtle distinction to some but not to me. "The Fifth Elelment." Now those were flying cars.
astrodex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:55 AM   #10
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodex
I consider these to be planes that you can drive not flying cars. Perhaps it is a subtle distinction to some but not to me. "The Fifth Elelment." Now those were flying cars.
Well, antigravity drive would indeed be nice. For now you'll have to settle for something with wings, or perhaps "powered lift" a la Moller Skycar:

Of course the Moller's not roadable, but who cares? You could land it almost anywhere people won't lynch you for the noise.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:35 AM   #11
glatt

Anybody remember "The Man With The Golden Gun?" Bad guy had a car that he pulled into a garage, bolted a wing and a tail to, and flew away off into the distance.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:40 AM   #12
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperlock
People are idiotic enough driving on the road; the last thing we need is those same idiotic people flying in the air and crashing into some house or store.
So far none of these have been legally flyable unless the operator holds a valid pilot's licence.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:43 PM   #13
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

JB had a licence to kill... does'nt that count?
Old 09-11-2006, 07:58 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
So far none of these have been legally flyable unless the operator holds a valid pilot's licence.
That only means having been taught what they should do....not a guarantee of what they will do.
Fortunately bad judgement usually won't be didplayed more than once.