The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #61
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I feel like sometimes, we're put into a health circle of death. Food producers make shitty food that we consume that makes us sick. That sends us to a doctor or hospital where we/insurance/government spend tons of money for the latest and greatest technology. Meanwhile, the hospitals serve shitty food...and we don't learn from our mistakes.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #62
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
There is one metric that they never ever ever study in such studies and that metric is, where are the fucking cures coming from? Because that is kind of important.

The level of socialization in a system doesn't seem to matter much. The UK is clearly punching above its weight. Single-payer Canada, socialized Sweden, big underachievers. Moneyed Japan, huge underachiever. But it's clear, without the US system, 57% of the discoveries since 1945 do not happen, and the rest of the world continues to die in their systems that have not benefitted from advancements and discoveries.

~ You're welcome ~

I also feel that our metrics would be a lot better without a permanently unhealthy underclass who eat shitty, go around shooting each other, generally hate doctors, have terrible hygiene, etc. I suppose every nation suffers from that to a degree. But when it comes to longevity our ghetto males and steady trickle of Mexicans have a life expectancy of around 65, and it isn't actually due to lack of doctorin' so much as lack of maintenance. If you don't do oil changes expect your car to die.
Quote:
I know that and, really, what people never consider is that the US system is pretty socialized anyway. With Medicare, Medicaid and now O'care, state and federal governments pay for over half the medicine that is happening in this country.
It seems like you're saying that our non-socialized system results in more advances, but then you point out that over half of our system is "socialized".

Please clarify

I'd like to add that R&D in the US is hugely subsidized (socialized).
Old 07-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #63
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSicomoro View Post
I feel like sometimes, we're put into a health circle of death. Food producers make shitty food that we consume that makes us sick. That sends us to a doctor or hospital where we/insurance/government spend tons of money for the latest and greatest technology. Meanwhile, the hospitals serve shitty food...and we don't learn from our mistakes.
It's planned obsolescence - human style
Old 07-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #64
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
It seems like you're saying that our non-socialized system results in more advances
Please point out where I said or hinted at that
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #65
Spexxvet

Quote:
Please point out where I said or hinted at that
Quote:
Single-payer Canada, socialized Sweden, big underachievers.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #66
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oh now - be fair that came directly after:
Quote:
The level of socialization in a system doesn't seem to matter much. The UK is clearly punching above its weight.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #67
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Oh now - be fair that came directly after:
i'm not making any kind of accusation.

Never mind
Old 07-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #68
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

What I truly believe is, and you can just ask me, you don't have to dance around it, what I believe is that any nation that has its shit together can produce a high quality medical system, no matter who's paying for it... if that's where the people's priorities are. If the people demand it, expect it, and have enough voice to the layers that can make a difference, then pressures will make it come about.

As to what causes a nation to get its shit together, that is another thread for another day.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #69
Spexxvet

That's plain enough