Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-14-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
rkzenrage

More bad God in government...

Quote:
For Evangelicals, Supporting Israel Is ‘God’s Foreign Policy’

By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK
Published: November 14, 2006
WASHINGTON, Nov. 13 — As Israeli bombs fell on Lebanon for a second week last July, the Rev. John Hagee of San Antonio arrived in Washington with 3,500 evangelicals for the first annual conference of his newly founded organization, Christians United For Israel.

International Fellowship of Christians and Jews

When a Christian-Jewish group ran this ad during the Lebanon war, evangelicals responded en masse to support Israel, an official said.

Anatomy of an Alliance
Second of two articles.
This is the second of a two-part series examining the impact of recent events on the American-Israeli alliance.

Part 1: In New Middle East, Tests for an Old Friendship (November 13, 2006)At a dinner addressed by the Israeli ambassador, a handful of Republican senators and the chairman of the Republican Party, Mr. Hagee read greetings from President Bush and Prime Minister Ehud Olmert of Israel and dispatched the crowd with a message for their representatives in Congress. Tell them “to let Israel do their job” of destroying the Lebanese militia, Hezbollah, Mr. Hagee said.

He called the conflict “a battle between good and evil” and said support for Israel was “God’s foreign policy.”

The next day he took the same message to the White House.

Many conservative Christians say they believe that the president’s support for Israel fulfills a biblical injunction to protect the Jewish state, which some of them think will play a pivotal role in the second coming. Many on the left, in turn, fear that such theology may influence decisions the administration makes toward Israel and the Middle East.

Administration officials say that the meeting with Mr. Hagee was a courtesy for a political ally and that evangelical theology has no effect on policy making. But the alliance of Israel, its evangelical Christian supporters and President Bush has never been closer or more potent. In the wake of the summer war in southern Lebanon, reports that Hezbollah’s sponsor, Iran, may be pushing for nuclear weapons have galvanized conservative Christian support for Israel into a political force that will be hard to ignore.

For one thing, white evangelicals make up about a quarter of the electorate. Whatever strains may be creeping into the Israeli-American alliance over Iraq, the Palestinians and Iran, a large part of the Republican Party’s base remains committed to a fiercely pro-Israel agenda that seems likely to have an effect on policy choices.

Mr. Hagee says his message for the White House was, “Every time there has been a fight like this over the last 50 years, the State Department would send someone over in a jet to call for a cease-fire. The terrorists would rest, rearm and retaliate.” He added, “Appeasement has never helped the Jewish people.”

This time Elliott Abrams, the White House deputy national security adviser who met with him, essentially agreed, Mr. Hagee said.

Leaving the White House offices, “we felt we were on the right track,” he said.

Now, in tandem with the Israeli government, many evangelical Christians have focused on a new villain, Iran’s president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Evangelical broadcasters and commentators have seized on Mr. Ahmadinejad’s comments questioning the Holocaust and calling for the abolition of the Israeli state. And many evangelicals now talk of the Iranian leader as a “mortal threat” to Israel.

Some evangelical leaders say they are wary of reports that a panel including former Secretary of State James A. Baker III might recommend negotiating with Iran about the future of Iraq. “It certainly bothers me,” said Dr. James C. Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family and one of the most influential conservative Christians. “That has the same kind of feel to it as the British negotiating with Germany, Italy and Japan in the run up to World War II.”

At rallies this fall for Christian conservative voters, Dr. Dobson sometimes singled out Mr. Ahmadinejad as a reason to go to the polls, arguing that Democrats could not be trusted to face down such dangers. “Hitler told everybody what he was going to do, and Ahmadinejad is saying exactly what he is going to do,” Dr. Dobson explained. “He is talking genocide.”

The same name, with many pronunciations, comes up repeatedly on Christian talk radio shows, said Gary Bauer, a Christian conservative political organizer. “I am not sure there is a foreign leader who has made a bigger splash in American culture since Khrushchev, certainly among committed Christians,” he said.

Mr. Hagee, for his part, said Mr. Ahmadinejad’s comments about Israel and the Holocaust were part of what motivated him to found Christians United For Israel late last year. Since the fight with Hezbollah, Mr. Hagee said, he is doing all he can to keep the pressure on United States officials to take a hard line with Iran.

When 5,000 evangelicals gathered last month for a “Night to Honor Israel” at his San Antonio megachurch, for example, Mr. Ahmadinejad was much discussed.

Mr. Hagee compared the Iranian leader with the biblical pharaoh of Egypt. “Pharaoh threatened Israel and he ended up fish food,” Mr. Hagee said, to great applause.

Evangelical Christians who know President Bush, including Marvin Olasky, editor of the magazine World and a former Bush adviser, said Mr. Bush, unlike President Reagan, has never shown any interest in prophecies of the second coming.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
rkzenrage

Quote:
Such theological details, however, have not kept the Israeli government and Jewish pro-Israel lobbying groups from capitalizing on the powerful support of American evangelicals. Fearing a backlash over Lebanon last July, Israeli officials and their American allies sought public statements of support from American evangelicals. Some groups declined because of risks to missionaries in the Arab world.

Dr. Dobson read a statement on his popular radio program expressing “heartache” at the civilian casualties but comparing Israel’s fight to “the Biblical skirmish between little David and mighty Goliath.” He explained, “There sits little Israel with its five million beleaguered Jews, surrounded by five hundred million Muslims whose leaders are determined to drive it into the sea.”

Rabbi Yechiel Eckstein, the founder of the International Fellowship of Christians and Jews and the Israeli government’s official goodwill ambassador to evangelicals, said the statements turned out to be superfluous because there was a groundswell of grass roots evangelical support.

Mr. Eckstein said he had discovered the depth of that support when he ran television commercials on the Fox News Channel seeking donations. The response, mainly from evangelicals, “burned out the call centers,” Mr. Eckstein said. During the five-week war, his group added 30,000 new donors. Thanks to the influx of money, he said his organization has exceeded its income from the first 10 months of last year by 60 percent, putting it on track to pull in $80 million this year. “The war really generated a momentum,” Mr. Eckstein said.

Evangelicals’ support for Israel, of course, is far from uniform. Mr. Hagee is an author of several books about the interpretation of biblical prophecies. He says he believes the Bible assigns Israel a pivotal role as a harbinger of the second coming. Citing passages from Revelation and Ezekiel, he argues that conflict between Israel and Iran may be a sign that that time is approaching.

Others say they believe more generally that God maintains his Old Testament covenant with the Jewish people and thus commands Christian believers to help protect their “older brothers.”

“My theology indicates that Israel is covenant land,” Dr. Dobson said in an interview.

Many conservative Christians and their Jewish allies acknowledge a certain tension between the evangelical belief in a Biblical commission to convert non-Christians and their simultaneous desire to help the Jews of Israel.

“Despite all the spiritual shortcomings of the Jewish people,” Dr. Dobson said, “according to scripture — and those criticisms come not from Christians but from the Old Testament. Just look in Deuteronomy, where Jews are referred to as a stiff-necked and stubborn people — despite all of that, God has chosen to bless them as his people. God chose to bless Abraham and his seed not because they were a perfect people any more than the rest of the human family.”

Dr. Dobson, along with some other evangelicals, has expressed disappointment with what he saw as the Bush administration’s pressure on Israel to sign the cease-fire that ended the fight.

“They began by saying they had to take a hard line, by saying they would support Israel and they ended up urging them to compromise and go home,” Dr. Dobson said. “All that is going to do is allow everybody to reload. That didn’t solve anything.” (Mr. Hagee said that he believed the administration gave Israel “ample time” but that Israel erred by not “unleashing the full might of its ground troops” until it was too late.)

The Israeli government and its American allies have been building their alliance with evangelicals for decades. Israeli officials began working closely with Mr. Hagee and his church, for example, a quarter century ago, when he met several times with then-Prime Minister Menachem Begin.

The Jerusalem Post, an English-language newspaper, recently started an edition for American Christians.

The Israeli government temporarily cut off ties with the Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson after he suggested that Prime Minister Ariel Sharon’s stroke might have been God’s punishment for withdrawing from territory that belonged to the Biblical Israel. But then Mr. Robertson flew to Israel during the fight with Hezbollah. In a gesture of reconciliation, the Israeli government recently worked with him to film a television commercial to attract Christian tourists.

“Israel — to walk where Jesus walked, to pray where Jesus prayed, to stand where he stood — there is no other place like it on earth,” Mr. Robertson says in the commercial, according to the Jerusalem Post.

God has NOplace in government!

Americans United

Something you should know about "Pastor" John Hagee also. (I could care less if he is a Zionist. But, a shyster and money monger playing politics with religion... that is something one needs to avoid)

Last edited by rkzenrage; 11-14-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

How is supporting the only friendly to the U.S. country in the Middle East bringing God into government? The article is about a private organization.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:55 AM   #4
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
How is supporting the only friendly to the U.S. country in the Middle East bringing God into government?
Another good one: How is re-building a secular dictatorship into a democratic theocracy fighting a war on terror?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

OK, I think I've figured out why evangelicals are so fervent. They're realized that when the rapture occurs there's still not enough space for all of them, so they've got to be even more dilligent in order to beat their fellows to heaven!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:59 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha
OK, I think I've figured out why evangelicals are so fervent.
In order to figure that out, you have to think like them and I doubt if you can. Even if you lowered your IQ by 100 points, I don't think you could dip into their realm.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:09 PM   #7
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
How is supporting the only friendly to the U.S. country in the Middle East bringing God into government?
The article is about supporting Israel for religious reasons... which never has a place in policy, under any circumstances.

We need to be far more critical of their actions, as well.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:03 PM   #8
vonPrutz
Militant Christian

I am personally very angry at Israel. I called the IDF recruiting center 31 times before anyone would even give me the time of day to speak English and hear me out. Then when I said I was a Christian he laughed at me and hung up. Here I am trying to volunteer for the IDF to fight the Infidel, yet they think that because I am a Christian I am not able to do it. But I fully support US military aid to the State of Israel, and any and all actions taken by Israel to crush the Palestinians. Unlike Americans, Israelis are intelligent people who realize how to fight a war on Islamic Fascism.
vonPrutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:17 PM   #9
rkzenrage

All actions taken by Israel huh? A blank moral check... must be nice.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:24 PM   #10
vonPrutz
Militant Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
All actions taken by Israel huh? A blank moral check... must be nice.
I have a debt to pay to the Jewish people, one that can only be paid by bleeding beside them in battle
Old 11-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #11
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

What's the debt von?
Old 11-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #12
rkzenrage

What does that have to do with saying that all that the state of Israel does is morally fine?
One has nothing to do with the other.
I wanted to serve my nation as a soldier, tried, but could not for medical reasons. I still have a lot of issues with many things this nation does & I do all I can to make it stop those things... that makes me a patriot.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:37 PM   #13
vonPrutz
Militant Christian

Before we moved to America we lived in the German Democratic Republic. Every male between the ages of 12 to 70 served in the SS or Volksstrum, which was about 65. As Prussians my family helped ensure Hitler's rise to power and to carry out his horrific actions. The Israelis do what is necessary to ensure their survival, nothing is morally wrong with that.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:20 PM   #14
lookout123
changed his status to single

you personally helped with Hitler's rise? that's gotta make you the oldest active cellarite. congratulations.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:33 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonPrutz
I have a debt to pay to the Jewish people, one that can only be paid by bleeding beside them in battle
Then why did you move to Los Angeles instead of Tel Aviv?