The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-19-2004, 09:42 PM   #16
rainbowbrite
Kinda New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
Someone tell the girl she's busted so she'll get her ass out of there and get the hell out of "Our Yard"..................................

Someone should have told that to your ancestors when they came to this country... and don't try and tell me they all came over legally.

Makes me wonder what you would do if you were in the mother's situation?
rainbowbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:15 AM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar, rainbowbrite. My kin came legally.
The bottom line is we have to either open or close the border.
The situation, as it stands, is stupid and dangerous.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:57 AM   #18
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowbrite
Someone should have told that to your ancestors when they came to this country... and don't try and tell me they all came over legally.

Makes me wonder what you would do if you were in the mother's situation?

I am a parent and a grandparent. My ancestors did arrive legally, and I put my life on the line to serve our country & protect our freedom. Freedom is NOT free, ie you can't break the law and sneak in this great country and steal it. If I were unfortunate enough to be in the mother's situation, I believe I would have exhausted all of the dozens of legal ways to cross the border first. Even as a last resort I would never put my child in a damn pinata and take all the risks involved, including being separated from my child permanently, suffocation, etc., etc., etc. Personally I consider the mothers actions to be rancidly pagan and inexcusably irresposnsible.
You can usually detect the people who DID arrive in my country legally. They have certain humanitarian values instilled & embedded. Long live the USA.
Welcome to the cellar, rainbowbrite. Enjoy!!!
Old 11-20-2004, 08:27 AM   #19
404Error
Lecturer

Well said, Capn!
Old 11-21-2004, 11:43 PM   #20
Brown Thrasher
self=proclaimed ass looking for truth whatever that means

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Welcome to the Cellar, rainbowbrite. My kin came legally.
The bottom line is we have to either open or close the border.
The situation, as it stands, is stupid and dangerous.

I agree. I also believe stupidity breeds danger. Speaking of the mexican border issue, I feel is one of the most serious and dangerous issues our politicians must deal with. If not, I fear we will face grave consequnces. I'm not sure of the numbers crossing daily, but I dare say they are not all coming looking for a better life............
Old 11-22-2004, 06:41 AM   #21
badmemory
Person Who Has Posted

The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
with conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
a mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame,
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
with silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Emma Lazarus (1849-1887)

(This is the inscription at the base of the Statue of Liberty, in case you weren't aware)

Maybe they should have taken out the statue of liberty on 911, since everything she has stood for all these years would seem to be dead in the "great" United States of America...

Last edited by badmemory; 11-22-2004 at 04:48 PM.
badmemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:07 AM   #22
Messageboardjunkie
Kinda Wishes This and That

[quote=capnhowdy] ie you can't break the law and sneak in this great country and steal it.

American Indians felt the same way. They were willing to share but "we" wanted it all. Mexicans feel that way about Texas. Interesting... it looks almost as if they are taking it back 3-4 births more than Anglos are willing to keep it. But I did get your point and it has validity.
Messageboardjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:48 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
(This is the inscription at the base of the Statue of Liberty, in case you weren't aware)
Well aware, seen it many times. Also aware it stands right next to Ellis Island, THE golden door. No torch over the back fence, though.

The bazillions of huddled masses that came through Ellis Island and other ports had one thing in common. They wanted to be Americans. The ones climbing the back fence just want.

Welcome to the Cellar, badmemory.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:30 PM   #24
badmemory
Person Who Has Posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
The bazillions of huddled masses that came through Ellis Island and other ports had one thing in common. They wanted to be Americans. The ones climbing the back fence just want.

Welcome to the Cellar, badmemory.
I've really got to differ with you there... The multitudes of poor Irish immigrants who came flooding across the Atlantic Ocean during the potato famine were not doing so because they wanted to be Americans, they did so because, as you put it, they wanted... they wanted a better life, they wanted a chance to work, they wanted a chance to put food on the table. America was their best chance at achieving those goals, and that is why they came. Not because they would become Americans, but because of the perceived chance of a better life in America.

Just like the many risks we have seen so many of these poor Mexicans take, often with fatal results, these Irish were taking their lives into their hands when they came across... Large numbers never lived to see the other side of the ocean after setting sail, steerage was not a healthy way to travel and large numbers fell to diseases like cholera...

So what say you all? Lets ship all those damned Irish back across where they came from! Goodness knows during this flood of Irish immigration that sentiment was rampant in America, probably put forth by some of the ancestors of this find group of people who are so quick to say the same things about the current influx of Mexicans.... But what happened to all those Irish? This penniless rabble that flooded the shores of America with nothing to show for their name? hmmm... wouldn't surprise me if some of their descendants are among the ones now adamant about what a crime it is for the poor of Mexico to dream of a better life elsewhere... Three cheers for the American Dream... as long as you are already at least a 3rd generation American that is!

P.S. Thanks for the welcome, though I'm not exactly new, just a lurker who was finding some rather self-righteous talk a little too hard to swallow for once...
badmemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 08:48 PM   #25
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

[quote=Messageboardjunkie]
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
ie you can't break the law and sneak in this great country and steal it.

American Indians felt the same way. They were willing to share but "we" wanted it all. Mexicans feel that way about Texas. Interesting... it looks almost as if they are taking it back 3-4 births more than Anglos are willing to keep it. But I did get your point and it has validity.
OK then....."we" do have it all. That's the native Americans,the Mexicans, the Texans, the Anglos, the everybody.
Even Me.
Food for thought: How long can "it all" last if everyone who tips his dadgum hat wants "his share of the American Dream"? It slowly becomes the divided division of what is shared to be divided........ Nobody chose their cultural heritage, faith, nationality, race, etc.
It is a TRUE American who knows his country is the ultimate optimum.
I'll stay here & love what "we've" earned. I've earned what "we" love. I have yet to see another country spend millions of bucks to keep "us" out of their yard. Maybe we are happy to just stay at home. Home sweet home. I, along with scores of my fellow countrymen, love to entertain guests.
Good guests eventually LEAVE & GO BACK HOME. America can't continue to support all other countries' "we're not happy here people". Of course, if they insist- we will continue to fight and die for what "we" believe in. In behalf of most of this Country, I say: "we" love you! Come see us! THEN LEAVE!
Thanks for the validity,MBJ........
I certainly appreciate it. Good Day...................................................
Old 11-23-2004, 03:00 AM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The multitudes of poor Irish immigrants who came flooding across the Atlantic Ocean during the potato famine were not doing so because they wanted to be Americans, they did so because, as you put it, they wanted...
You’re confusing why they wanted to leave there with why they wanted to come here. Some went to other parts of the world, also. The majority of the ones that came here wanted to become Americans. They gravitated to neighborhoods where their own kind had congregated but moved out to better digs as soon as they could.
Try this;
Enter Mexico illegally. Never mind immigration quotas, visas, international law, or any of that nonsense.
Once there, demand that the local government provide free medical care for you and your entire family.
Demand bilingual nurses and doctors.
Demand free bilingual local government forms, bulletins, etc.
Procreate abundantly.
Keep your American identity strong. Fly Old Glory from your rooftop, or proudly display it in your front window or on your car bumper.
Speak only English at home and in public and insist that your children do likewise.
Demand classes on American culture in the Mexican school system.
Demand a local Mexican driver license. This will afford other legal rights and will go far to legitimize your unauthorized, illegal, presence in Mexico.
Insist that local Mexican law enforcement teach English to all its officers.
Be sure and report back to us about your experience.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:50 AM   #27
404Error
Lecturer

Yeah, what he said is what I woulda said if i coulda said it like he said it!

Well said, Bruce!
Old 12-10-2004, 11:23 PM   #28
404Error
Lecturer

And yet another novel way to try to sneak into the country...that didn't work either.

Quote:
It's not known whether Enrique Aquilar Canchola, 42, thought his disguise would work, but it definitely didn't. The Mexican national tried to cross the Mexico-U.S. border into San Ysidro, Calif., disguised as a car seat. A U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service inspector discovered the unusual camouflage when he checked the back of a van when it tried to sneak Canchola over the border. (London Times)
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2004, 09:02 AM   #29
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error
And yet another novel way to try to sneak into the country...that didn't work either.
This is True rocks.

We could probably do with a few of his stories as well as the ones from The Stella Awards as well.