The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 10-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #1351
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Rest In Peace, mustache, we hardly knew ya.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #1352
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Sad Winslow's post belongs in the Hall of Fame.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #1353
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I've never shaved my moustache. Ever.

I celebrate it's birthday on my own every year.

It's 31. We first met when I was ~15.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #1354
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

But the sandwich, you guys. It was really good. That's all I'm sayin'.
sad_winslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #1355
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What? With Anchovies? No way, that shit will kill ya... oh wait...
Old 10-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #1356
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

What's for Dinner?

I don't know, but, if it ain't liquid, and alcohol, I'm betting it comes from a drive-thru and costs a dollar.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #1357
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

Last night's dinner was a brutally spicy and salty delicious bowl of noodles. I got some weird flat noodles with a spicy sesame oil packet at the store; they're ok by themselves, hot and with that weird sort of earthy, almost szechuan taste, but a little boring all alone. So I added some baby bok choy, kim chee, and fermented bean chili paste in there, with a little dash of extra sesame oil and soy sauce. The bean paste is utterly incredible stuff, by the by. It comes in a little red jar and utterly transforms a soup or bowl of noodles of just about any kind with a rich, loamy, salty hot spice that has to be tasted to be believed. It might be a little bit of an acquired taste. I acquired it, myself, and it drives me nuts in the best way.

The overall effect was that I had this deeply earthy-tasting bowl of noodles with this sort of rich, low-set spicy heat to it. Not "gargling a mouthful of sriracha" hot, but the sort of "you're standing next to the fireplace in a moodily lit room late on a winter evening, and Isaac Hayes is on the radio" level of hot - the smouldering and sexy kind that reminds you that you're still alive. The broth that formed in the bottom of the bowl was a bright crimson red and was salty as a heartbeat and spicy as houses.

Tonight's dinner: I'm thinkin' chicken.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #1358
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Oh, man, I just larfed out way loud...

Quote:
salty as a heartbeat and spicy as houses.
Spicy as houses?!!? WTF, man?! Oh, God...

Old 10-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #1359
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_winslow View Post
...the sort of "you're standing next to the fireplace in a moodily lit room late on a winter evening, and Isaac Hayes is on the radio" level of hot - the smouldering and sexy kind that reminds you that you're still alive.
Shot in the dark, man, but, uh, you wanna do something sometime?[/Stewie Griffin]

Old 10-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #1360
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

@ sad winslow: You should be a restaurant critic. I would so read a regular food column by you lol

Yesterday I went to my Bro's for a fullroast dinner - mmmmmmm. Godamn my brother can cook! Chicken for the meat eaters, spicy butternut squash for the veggies. Roast veg etc. That description doesn't doit justice, It was soooo good.

This evening I had lincolnshire sausages, with boiled potatoes, spinach and peas with gravy. was very tasty - but not nearly so mindblowing as yesterday's fayre!

:P

Last edited by DanaC; 10-20-2014 at 04:22 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #1361
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Last night I made meat loaf.

Tonight chicken stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in bacon
Old 10-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #1362
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Good grief, I'd weigh another hundred pounds at your house.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:07 AM   #1363
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

Aw, thanks guys. If there's one thing I can talk about it's food, as I just get bored and lonely and just start retching up words at you all and hope that they make some sense. If you encourage this it will only turn into further monster posts, so be wary of your praise lest ye unleash dragons. Fat dragons who won't shut up about food.

So, last night ended up just being a thai delivery junket instead of the chicken that I meditated briefly upon in my previous post. It was actually mostly a letdown - the pad thai was lacking and the satay skewers tasted a little more like coconut milk than I really care for. The exception, however, was the deep-fried "pumpkin" bits (really an asian kind of squash called a kabocha; it has a thin, dark green skin with pleasantly sweet, bright orange inner flesh) served with the usual kind of thai peanut sauce.

Living in the festering hell-pit of a desert called the Sacramento Valley (as I do) the temperature has finally just started to approach less than 80 degrees during the day, so it feels like Fall has, at last, fallen, if only grudgingly. It is a relief to me, though a nervous sort of relief that teeters on a seasonal edge; it feels like nature could change its mind at any moment and skip right back into blazing summer. But as it currently stands I have been reminded by the heavens that clouds are indeed real and can happen; there are rumours that a sort of damp substance may come out of them occasionally. I am not particularly a sunny-weather kind of person, so I look forward to Fall as a time for my brain cool and re-congeal after being out in the unrelenting sun for eight months of the year.

I bring all of this up because the fried pumpkin bits dipped in peanut sauce tastes _exactly_ like Fall should taste. It is the crackle of dry leaves and the smell of raked lawns and damp Earth, it is hooded sweatshirts and hot tea and baked things from the oven.

When you take a bite of these pumpkin bits, it's like a trip to an entirely different meal dimension, one where you're not on the couch late at night alone marathoning shows on Netflix while shoveling random bits of someone else's culture into your face: it takes you over like you're sitting down to a plate of baked acorn squash and sweet potatos at your parent(s') house and a pumpkin-pecan pie is baking in the oven (it might just be warming up, because it's really store-bought, but who cares? It still stinks up the house like delicious.)

When you first arrived home, your eyes were assaulted by oddly-colored and mysteriously inedible corn placed strategically around the house, and there lurks at least one of those weird wicker horns spilling forth a festive bounty of other things nobody can eat. These things are the legacy of America and serve as a reminder of Ye Olde Days; back when life in the New World was full of danger, mysteriously inedible corn, and weird wicker horns spilling forth a festive bounty of other things nobody can eat lurked hideously around every corner. Also pellagra.

You had to take your shoes off at the door, so you pad around in your nice wool socks (that you wore so your family won't think you're a total poor. They actually know the truth, and you're pretty sure they know the truth, but the charade is pleasant and your feet are ok with this.) You likely also slide about a bit on the hardwood or linoleum for a laugh, and might scoot across the carpet so you can amusingly electrocute a sibling, pet, and/or significant other. You're not used to taking your shoes off, or carpet that's seen a vacuum in the past decade, so walking about in socks is a refreshing novelty and you're determined to take full advantage of the situation while it lasts.

Later, you sit on the couch and loaf by the fireplace for a while before you trundle yourself back to your empty apartment. When you get there you find a leftover box of thai food sitting on the coffee table. Inside is something orange and deep-fried, with a side of peanut sauce. You take a bite, and...

So anyways, all in all not bad for a $6 appetizer, if you ask me.

This evening I revisited my original vision of poultry and actually cooked some chicken in the form of a casserole with rice, but I shall spare you all of my dwellings upon it for another night.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:42 AM   #1364
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_winslow View Post

When you first arrived home, your eyes were assaulted by oddly-colored and mysteriously inedible corn placed strategically around the house, and there lurks at least one of those weird wicker horns spilling forth a festive bounty of other things nobody can eat. These things are the legacy of America and serve as a reminder of Ye Olde Days; back when life in the New World was full of danger, mysteriously inedible corn, and weird wicker horns spilling forth a festive bounty of other things nobody can eat lurked hideously around every corner. Also pellagra.

Keep 'em coming, winslow. This really made me smile.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:04 AM   #1365
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yah, this kind of reflection about food is what our elders claimed we should always have but it turned into "saying grace".
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote