The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #256
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Someone wanna p'shop Maj. Kong riding that bear as it falls?
Best I could do on short notice...

Name:  Major Kong On The Bear.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  54.9 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #257
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

He's quite dead you know...they moved him 50 miles and then he got hit by a car.

Stupid bear.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #258
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Quote:
"Local council elections 2012: Penguin gets more votes than Lib Dem candidate (May 4 2012 )
THE Lib Dems were left red-faced after one of their candidates received less votes than a man dressed as a penguin. ..." (The Daily Record)

"A candidate who stood under the name Professor Pongoo won more first preference votes than the Scottish Liberal Democrat candidate in one of the Edinburgh City Council wards ..." (BBC)
I for one welcome ... anything's better than the liberal parties
Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #259
Rhianne
Nearly done.

As posted elsewhere, the Lib-Dem candidate came utterly last of eight in my ward.

If you're not fond of the Lib-Dems I hate to imagine what you'd think of the rest of Scottish politics!
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #260
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I've heard, didn't realise that was your neck of the woods!
We didn't have elections here.

I feel sorry for all the decent LibDem councillors who are out.
The ones I know are fantastic and work really hard.
Saying that, I've drifted away from the party since they got into bed with the Tories.
I no longer distribute leaflets and have let my party membership lapse.

I still went to the Quiz Night the other month. And won a raffle prize. We came 4th in the Quiz, which wasn't bad for a table of 6 when others had 8. Well, I say 6 - two old ladies joined us, one of whom had led a fascinating life but the questions were just too fast for her, the other paid no attention whatever and just drank Lemon Barley Water all night. And poor old Da couldn't hear a thing over the shuffling, muttering and squeaking chairs.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #261
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

It's always sad when good local councillors lose their seat because of national politics. We lost a few good councillors on ours this time around. Most of the gains were for the labour party, so I should be pleased, but I know a couple of the libs and cons who lost that are really decent. One in particular is a tory, but a really decent bloke with an incredible work ethic and genuine caring for his local community. The woman who beat him is from my party, but she's a fucking witch, who couldn't give a flying fuck for the people who've elected her.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #262
Nirvana
Back in 10

China to reinvestigate human flesh capsule claims

China to reinvestigate human flesh capsule claims

Tue, 08 May 2012 07:46:28 -0400
BEIJING (AP) — China will reinvestigate allegations that Chinese-made drug capsules containing powdered remains of dead babies are being smuggled into South Korea, state media reported Tuesday.

Ministry of Health spokesman Deng Haihua said an investigation launched last August found no proof that such capsules were being manufactured in China, the official Xinhua News Agency said. Some people believe the capsules can cure a variety of diseases.

Deng said in a statement that China would investigate again following new reports of such pills being smuggled into South Korea, Xinhua reported.

The statement was not posted on the ministry's website and calls to the ministry rang unanswered.

The Korea Customs Service said Monday it had seized capsules made in northeastern China from dead babies whose bodies were chopped into small pieces and dried on stoves before being turned into powder.

Deng said Chinese health departments would work with police, customs agencies and commerce authorities to investigate the latest claims, Xinhua said.

The South Korean customs agency began investigating after receiving a tip a year ago. No sicknesses have been reported from ingesting the capsules.

South Korean customs officials have refused to say where the dead babies came from or who made the capsules, citing possible diplomatic friction with Beijing.

They said they had discovered 35 smuggling attempts since August of about 17,450 capsules disguised as stamina boosters. Some people believe the capsules are a panacea for disease. However, they contain bacteria and other harmful ingredients, the customs agency said.

LINK
Old 05-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #263
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Some people believe the capsules can cure a variety of diseases.
Quote:
Some people believe the capsules are a panacea for disease. However, they contain bacteria and other harmful ingredients, the customs agency said.
What exactly do these freaks think it cures?

Great article. "THEY (you know, the ubiquitous 'they') think the pills might cure some things or a couple things and stuff, but really sometimes there's like bacteria and other stuff that is bad, and stuff."

(No offense, 'vana...you didn't write it. I just spent too much time reading CNN comments on an unrelated matter and my blood is near boiling!)
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #264
GunMaster357
Professor

I would recommend the book "Tokyo" by Mo Hayder on that subject. Disturbing. Very Disturbing.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #265
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

via SkyNews

One thing is fer sure: 'Tweren't no dolphin.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  138.1 KB
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  45.2 KB

Old 05-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #266
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMaster357 View Post
I would recommend the book "Tokyo" by Mo Hayder on that subject. Disturbing. Very Disturbing.
I'll take you up on it with used copies selling for 1p.

In return I reccomend you a real Japanese novel, as opposed to one set there.
Out by Natsuo Kirino. Fantastic book and also disturbing. You may have already read it of course, it's been around for years.

Except I've only just found it it was called Out.
The edition I read had a blood spattered cover (by design, not personal use) and I thought it was called Cut!
It's not slash-horror. It's well written, well considered and a great lesson in Japanese niceties while cutting close to the bone.

If you're interested DO NOT READ THE AMAZON PRECIS.
It gives away some real shocks. Buy it blind. You might like it, you might not, but at least it won't be spoiled for you.

I hate it when they do that.

Like blurbs on the back of books which say things like "After the death of her daughter, Marie finds it difficult to cope. Moving back to the childhood home she meets a old friend, Raina. But does Raina have her best interest in mind?"

You've got to page 50 and Marie's daughter is still alive. Ho-hum, you know she's off to the boneyard.
Raina arrives in Chapter 5. You know not to trust her.

ARRRRRRGH!
Old 05-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #267
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Ohmigod, that poor creature. What an agonizing death.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #268
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Ohmigod, that poor creature. What an agonizing death.
Just needed to be said again.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #269
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I wonder if that's a post mortem photo. The sea foam is awfully white for a creature with holes that big and a still beating heart.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #270
glatt

I was thinking it was post mortem too. The foam is just the wake of the speeding boat. So the foam should be ignored. But it looks the shark is arching its head back. I think it would have to still be alive to do that. I think if it was dead, it would be straighter. But I'm not sure. It could be dead. Do sharks get rigor? That might explain the pose.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote