The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:27 PM   #16
Flint
Snowflake

I'm still disappointed that this thread doesn't have video of a PC being cooked in a microwave.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #17
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I'm still disappointed that this thread doesn't have video of a PC being cooked in a microwave.

And the winner of this week's "I need to get out more" contest is...
Old 03-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #18
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I think it would be pretty unlikely that microwaves are actually leaking when it is cooking something and penetrating the wall, unless of course they are made of paper. I would go with the power theory. The surge power is different from the operating power. It is measured in watts. A 750w microwave surges to 1000w when first turned on. I am not really sure how this would effect you computer except to draw power away from it if it were on the same circuit. A big killer of computers is inadequate circulation of the heat from the little fan in the back being blocked. Who knows...
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:26 PM   #19
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
A big killer of computers is inadequate circulation of the heat from the little fan in the back being blocked. Who knows...
No it is not. As an engineer, I combat these widespread myths often. Heat is not a killer. Why does a computer crash when hot? Not because heat does hardware damage. Because those very mild temperature changes cause timing changes so significant that the computer crashes. Computer only crashes - not hardware damage.

What is too hot? All computers must work just fine in a 100 degree F room. That is not destructive. And when a computer fails at that temperature, then we have a tool to find defective hardware.

Those who know only using observation will often promote other myths such as destructive power on. I make references to Limbaugh logic. This destructive power on is only another example of myths created by observation. Heat as a reason for hardware damage is also another of those classic myths - I feel heat; therefore it must have caused the failure.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #20
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh tw, you were doing just fine....

You had me interested, I was thinking about our laptop which had to be propped up on upturned mugs in the summer to let air circulate but only ever crashed, didn't break....
I was thinking to myself, "See, when there are no brownshirts in evidence, tw is an intersting read..."

Oh.
Limbaugh ref.

Sigh.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #21
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I was thinking more of an electromagnetic gizmonic field, not wicrowaves escaping.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:29 PM   #22
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
I was thinking more of an electromagnetic gizmonic field, not wicrowaves escaping.
Long before electromagnetic fields affected a computer, instead, nearby CRT type monitors would be significantly and obviously distorted; require degaussing. Some have suffered such problems even because a high current wire (ie to electric stove or central air conditioner) was inside the adjacent wall. But the problem is a distorted CRT display; computer still works just fine.

In one case, a direct lightning strike travels down a lightning rod wire only four feet away from a computer. Computer worked just fine; not even interrupted. Again, electromagnetic field did not cause computer damage.

Solution starts with some basic information such as what are and are not on same circuits. What/who is the source of power supplies (ie clone assembler or major computer manufacturer)?

Clearly there is a problem since normal power supplies operate over a decade without failure and since all computers must work just fine, without even a UPS, when AC electric voltage drops so low that room lamps are dimmed to less than 50%. Multiple failures in one location is far from normal. For example, AC power source is maybe one reason for failure. So is source of that power supply, source of the diagnosis (maybe none of those power supplies have really failed), etc.

As with all investigations, best evidence is in the dead body. Notice another essential feature exampled here. Reasons 'why' - reasons for what is required to get a useful answer and what could not create that failure - are also provided.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #23
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Long before electromagnetic fields affected a computer, instead, nearby CRT type monitors would be significantly and obviously distorted; require degaussing. ...
The monitor isn't showing any signs, but it's an LCD display. Would that react the same way as a CRT?
Old 03-10-2007, 06:01 PM   #24
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
The monitor isn't showing any signs, but it's an LCD display. Would that react the same way as a CRT?
Plasma displays would not suffer from magnetic fields. Even a conventional (CRT) TV would demonstrate the effect.

But then how often have you seen a TV distorted by a nearby microwave? The point being that electromagnetic fields are so small as to not even distort the screen. It would take massive more fields to even consider circuit interference.