The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-16-2019, 10:39 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Jan 17th, 2019: Changing Faces

I found this picture of two guys pushing this ’59 Chevy ragtop up the slippery 69th street hill on Christmas Eve 1961.

It was a common occurrence back when cars were riding on narrow bias-ply tires and people didn’t expect streets to be absolutely,
positively, ice/snow free at all costs.
Most people not from the immediate area call it Philly but it’s actually Upper Darby, abutting West Philly.
A busy place with thousands of commuters coming by car, bus, trolley, or rail, to take the Elevated into Philly, or heading home.
69th Street also had the Tower theater, a great 3000 seat venue where I saw Bowie, Tull, Starship, Mason, and tons more,
but we’ve talked about the Tower before.

The daily volume of human traffic was irresistible to commerce. attracting branches of biggies like Sears and Penny’s.
But what I noticed about the original picture was;
1- all the stores open at night.
Well Christmas Eve I suppose they are hoping to catch last minute shoppers, ones who heard that afternoon some relative they
didn’t expect was coming for Christmas, and Mad Men who boinked their secretary after the office party picking up a guilt gift...
...or an unstained shirt. But all the stores used to be open on set nights and people could count on being able to go there.

2- the variety of stores.
A stand alone millinery shop, a hosiery shop, when was the last time you saw those? Everything got gobbled up by department
stores, discount stores, variety stores, and Malls, which in turn got eaten by wally world.
Now most of those stores are food, nails, travel, temp agencies, sporting goods, and an occasional massage parlor.
Also shoes, which I have enough of (said no women ever ), and people would rather try before they buy.
But the face of retail is changing, evolving, keeping plaster surgeons busy.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:44 AM   #2
glatt

Excellent post.

LOL. Hosiery store.

Not sure if it was better then or not. I wouldn't be enticed by any of those stores, but the nail salons don't do it for me now either.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:52 AM   #3
blueboy56
Master Locutor

Smile

Could someone either find or take a photo at the same location to compare the past with the temporary present? Thank you.
blueboy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
LOL. Hosiery store.

Not sure if it was better then or not. I wouldn't be enticed by any of those stores
Wull where do you get your socks, if not at the hosiery store?

Quote:
Could someone either find or take a photo at the same location to compare the past with the temporary present?
It's here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9603...7i13312!8i6656
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

What Google has done to mapping knocks me out!

That looks like an active, friendly, prosperous neighborhood.
I love the placement of the ATM next to the mini cop shop.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:28 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy56 View Post
Could someone either find or take a photo at the same location to compare the past with the temporary present? Thank you.
I have to go out for drinking straws later, I'll try to remember to take my camera.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote