The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-30-2018, 07:34 AM   #6511
glatt

I hope Minifob and you continue to be fine. It must have been horrifying to watch that car spin toward you while you were powerless to do anything about it.

I have a friend who was hit by a drunk a couple years ago with her young son in the car. She still has occasional post traumatic stress issues even though they are both physically ok now. Don't be hesitant to speak up if you feel it impacting you that way.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:35 PM   #6512
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Fair enough :P
Girlfriend, I know you work in the industry now, but that industry there ain't got nothin' on the industry here.

Here we are all experts, we have to be. Everything is about insurance and the fine print and what you CAN claim, and what might inadvertently invalidate a legitimate claim. NOTHING is about what you should claim and what the the original intention of the insurance is for. It's just a financial dance. Sanscartons might have been being facetious, but that truly is what many use a whiplash claim for. When the $$ claimed is small enough, it's not worth the $$ for the ins co to prove it's a sham, they just pay.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:42 PM   #6513
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dana, the relationship between the Insurance industry and their clients here is strictly confrontational. The Companies looking for loopholes the slither out with a bigger bottom line and their clients looking for any leverage to force a fair or better settlement.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:53 PM   #6514
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
There's never an armadillo crossing the road when you need one. ...
I was also being facetious about armadillos (aka Texas speed bumps). I would never wish harm upon an armadillo to slow down a driver and prevent the costly consequences of an accident. At least not when we have insurance companies to pay for it.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:06 PM   #6515
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Armadillos carry leprosy if you hit one your extremities will fall off.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:11 AM   #6516
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Armadillos have four genetically-identical babies in each litter.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:25 AM   #6517
Griff
still says videotape

*stows away factoid for god knows when*
Old 05-01-2018, 06:56 AM   #6518
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't do that because it'll drive you crazy knowing you have a stored factoid but don't know what or where it is.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:43 PM   #6519
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Armadillo is just possum-on-the-half-shell.

Wanna buy a possum?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #6520
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Dana, the relationship between the Insurance industry and their clients here is strictly confrontational. The Companies looking for loopholes the slither out with a bigger bottom line and their clients looking for any leverage to force a fair or better settlement.
Some people here have a similar relationship with their insurers - in my experience, that's usually because they have bought their policy without understanding what it does - often because they've gone by comparison websites, which give a very tiny snapshot of the headline cover without giving any real sense of the kinds of exclusions which may apply.

Or they've thrown the handy booklet they got sent when they took the policy out straight into the drawer without reading it - there is a cancellation period - you look in the booklet under 'what is covered' and 'what is not covered' and read the definitions for each section.

People take out a policy and opt for accidental damage cover for their contents but don't bother to read the part about having to have the Technology and Entertainment add-on for their laptop to be covered and then get shitty with the claims team and tell all their friends the insurance company weaseled out of their claim.

Or they play with the comparison site quotes increasing and decreasing their 'voluntary excess' to see what it does to their premiums, opt for a £500 voluntary excess on top of their £100 compulsory excess and then get upset when they have £400 of damage and there's nothing we can do because it falls within their excess.

Years of legislative control and an ombudsman with teeth means companies have to make their cover very clear in the policy documents - if it's not clear, and a declined claim is challenged and goes to the ombudsman they will always err on the customer's side. Ambiguity is always decided against the writer of the contract.

That was always the case with contract law, but the regulatory system and the statutary duty to abide by a code of conduct that includes 'Treating customers fairly' has cost financial organisations a lot of money. Companies have faced fines for things like incentivising shorter call times where it has been seen to add to mis-selling of policies/ financial products.

When the policy wording comes through - it is not a case of big headlines and a bunch of fine print - it's clearly marked sections, with each exclusion stated very clearly next to the cover it is excluded from.

There are odd bits that require a little interpretation, and I totally get why those could be frustrating, but sometimes it's really obvious stuff and the customer treats it like we've strung them along and then thrown up unexpected road blocks to avoid paying out.

That can be frustrating for us :P Especially if you spend time exploring every possible avenue for them, to see if there is any way of covering the claim, or part of the claim, or even just getting them access to our suppliers as part of a claim that won't go anywhere so that they can use them with our discount. And then they always say the same thing: 'I know it's not you love, you've a job to do. But no offence, insurance companies, always do this - they don't mind taking our money every month, but the first time I make a claim and I get nothing' or words to that effect.

And I've got a booklet in front of me that they received like 4 months prior that states very clearly 'damage from ingress of water except by storm or flood is not covered' along with a whole policy exclusion in the 'Conditions and exclusions that apply to this policy' section, in bold type : '...wear and tear, or any gradually operating cause'.

So don't lecture me about shady insurance companies looking for ways not to pay because your roof got nail sickness, and the slipped roof tiles allowed a slow ingress of rainwater across several months. There is nothing I can do with that. And it's as clear as it could be without adding a flashing sign.

K. I shall dismount my hobby horse and resume my back to the beginning Agents of Shield rewatch.

Last edited by DanaC; 05-01-2018 at 04:27 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #6521
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, yeah, you're one on them now, with your fine print and lawyered interpretations.

I believe you, nobody reads the fine print... or the medium print... it's I'm insured, I'm covered, I don't have to know nothing.

A good friend of mine has become an insurance adjuster. Along with passing the licencing exams, and convincing the insurance companies a woman can do the job, she runs into stuff like explaining to the client that their stove top with the melted plastic bag on it costs $400 and they have a $500 deductible, so the insurance company won't pay.
In this case she had pulled the same bonehead move herself so she could placate the client with a no cost fix.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:39 AM   #6522
Griff
still says videotape

Tom Wilson is still playing hockey.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:24 PM   #6523
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Armadillo is just possum-on-the-half-shell.

Wanna buy a possum?
Do you also have half-shells?

And glue?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #6524
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The possums do not come with shells. We can put one in an armadillo shell, but, you have to pay for the whole armadillo. Possum prep is also extra.

No glue. Tape.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #6525
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post

No glue. Tape.
Call for HappyMonkey inline upthread!

Tags
mild cheddar