The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 03-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #2086
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

A letter to a local congressman. NOT from me, but a real letter. . .
Quote:
Just another Congressman who thinks every taxpayer personally wants more from the government. A boilerplate reply looking for another vote in November.
I for one want less-less intrusion, less control, less taxes.
How is this going to be paid for? Just like Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid were supposed to be self-funding.
No matter how big government says it will be paid for, there are never enough dollars because the program keeps expanding.
What's in the bill for all the big advocates- drug companies, AARP-most seniors wonder how its going to be paid for?

What makes this program so special that it will be run efficiently and cost-effectively? Unlike any other federal program ever.

I cant believe how out of touch with reality Congress and the President are. There's an old saying: "You've been a BS'er so long, You're starting to believe your own BS!"

A pox on both your houses, and the White House. All should be de-elected. Congressional sessions should be reduced to one month a year. Then you would really focus on the vital matters, like national security, and economic growth. You can't do damage when you are not in session.

Institute REAL campaign finance reform-your campaign can only raise funds in your district-every dollar needs to be publicly disclosed within 24 hours-make everything transparent immediately-no foreign money-really-no corporate contributions outside their headquarters district. Get the money out and maybe Congress would concentrate on whats best for the country and not whats best for the next election cycle.

A real response would be appreciated, point by point, but if thats too much trouble dont waste my time, I know you have a campaign or two to run , and it takes a lot of money to do it. All I have is a vote.

thank you,
Old 03-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #2087
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Mr. Clod came across this youtube video last night. It's kind of interesting in its own right, but the last 30 seconds is what really makes it memorable. A bit of NSFW language.

Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #2088
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

The response:
Quote:
Dear Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting my office regarding health care reform legislation. I greatly appreciate your input on this matter, and I apologize for any delay in my reply.

As you may know, on March 21, 2010, I voted to ensure access to affordable, high quality health insurance for all Americans. Taken together, H.R. 3590, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), and H.R. 4872 the Reconciliation Act of 2010, ensure affordable health coverage for 32 million otherwise uninsured American citizens, institutes market reforms to make health insurance more competitive and more affordable for individuals and small businesses, all while reducing the federal deficit by $143 billion over the next ten years. PPACA passed the House by a vote of 219 to 212, while the Reconciliation Act of 2010 was approved 220 to 211. The PPACA now awaits the President's signature, while the Reconciliation Act of 2010 awaits Senate passage.

I ran for Congress to reform our health care system after my 4-year-old daughter was diagnosed with brain cancer. I have worked to provide all Americans with access to the same lifesaving medical care I was able to provide my daughter through my U.S. military health insurance. Furthermore, with this legislation, Congress is finally tackling the problem of ever-increasing health care costs and health insurance that doesn't protect those enrolled in plans from this growing burden. Roughly 40 million American citizens lack insurance. Every year, the epidemic of uninsurance costs our economy as much as $160 billion in lost productivity and if we don't bend the cost curve, in 30 years, health care costs will consume fully one-third of our economic output. This is one of the rare instances where the moral imperative is also the economic necessity.

PPACA allows individuals to keep the private insurance they have now, while also establishing new state health benefit exchanges with additional private plans. These exchanges create a transparent and functional marketplace for individuals and small employers to purchase insurance plans as a part of a larger pool of consumers. As a result individuals and small businesses can benefit from the lower premiums that larger employers currently enjoy. Additionally, health insurance plans will have new consumer protections, which include:

--Requiring insurers to cover a minimum set of benefits and minimum portion of individual's health care costs,
--Requiring insurers to cover young adults on their parent's plan up to age 27,
--Preventing insurers from taking away coverage just because an individual gets sick,
--Stopping discrimination against individuals due to pre-existing conditions, age or gender,
--Eliminating lifetime and annual caps on coverage, and
--Limiting proposed premium increases, while allowing individuals to appeal denial of care to an independent organization.

It is clear that competition and transparency in our health care system will best discipline -- and in time drive down - costs. These new exchanges, with the common sense consumer protections they include, will provide Americans with the affordable, quality choices they deserve.

PPACA establishes health insurance coverage as a shared responsibility between individuals, employers, and the government, a concept I have long touted. Taken together, these provisions bring individuals into the system and cover them upfront, replacing the current system of inconsistent, incomplete and more costly emergency care that raises costs for everyone. The bill mandates, with limited exceptions, that individuals purchase health insurance. Government would be responsible for ensuring that every American has access to quality health insurance by providing subsidies to qualifying low- and middle-income families and expanding Medicaid so more individuals in poverty can participate in the program. Larger businesses must offer health coverage for all their employees, by either providing workers with health insurance directly or paying a penalty that helps individuals afford to purchase insurance in the exchange if any of their employees qualify for the subsidy.

To further aid small businesses, which currently spend 18% more for health insurance than larger employers, the legislation provides tax credits to smaller employers to assist in paying for employees' health insurance. Employers with fewer than 100 employees would be able to purchase insurance through the exchanges. Businesses with fewer than 50 employees would be exempt from the employer responsibility. Additionally, the bill provides tax credits to smaller employers to assist them in providing health insurance to their employees.

Critically, this legislation addresses the economic consequences of the status quo. According to the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office, PPACA does not increase the deficit. In fact, the bill will reduce federal deficits by approximately $143 billion dollars over the next ten years and will continue to reduce deficits by as much as $1.2 trillion in the following decade. The Department of Health and Human Services has reported that the bill will extend the solvency of Medicare by up to five years.

This bill is an incredibly important step to expand access to care, improve the insurance on which Americans currently rely and lay the groundwork to better address costs in the long term. However, it is only the first step, and I am most supportive of continued efforts to restrict long-term growth of health care costs.

In addition to insurance market reforms, the bill makes many improvements to the Medicare program, including gradually eliminating the Medicare Prescription Drug donut hole and co-payments for preventative care. It implements pilot programs, such as Accountable Care Organizations and Medical Home Models, which are aimed at reducing cost by incentivizing quality and not quantity of care. These initiatives, which encourage physicians to take on more responsibility for patient care, will hopefully be leveraged to reduce wasteful spending while encouraging doctors to provide better care. The bill also invests significantly in the health care workforce, making primary care a more attractive option for new physicians and authorizing more funding for training of doctors and other medical professionals.

Our nation's year-long debate leading up to this historic legislation was both challenging and reassuring. Through hundreds of hours of hearings and markups, several hundred amendments considered from members of both parties, as well as thousands of town hall meetings across the country, this was a truly comprehensive debate on the issues. At times, I would have liked to see both sides act with greater accountability and transparency. In the end, however, it was important for the House to hold a straight forward vote on these important pieces of legislation, which will benefit millions of Americans.

Thank you again for your letter. If I can be of any additional assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. I look forward to our future correspondence.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #2089
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
If states sue on the illegality of mandated health care how would that benefit the consumer other than being able to opt out?
I don't think it will help. I think the states are just pushing the issue based upon the general electorate.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:32 AM   #2090
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

I've been to Sex Pistols concerts where the people behaved better.

Shame on the repubs. Shame on them.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:41 AM   #2091
wanderer
Master of the Domain

grrrrr..........more tax to pay!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #2092
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I certainly don't think the sky is falling but I sure don't want my health care mandated. Offered yes but mandated and fined if you don't is unconstitutional. That isn't a fear mentality that is just a fact.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #2093
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
grrrrr..........more tax to pay!
It doesn't effect you.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #2094
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Mandates are necessary. There's no way around it. If you don't have mandates, you can't eliminate the "preexisting condition" travesty, which is the most important part of the whole bill.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #2095
wanderer
Master of the Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
It doesn't effect you.
Why? I earn!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #2096
Pie
Gone and done

Not enough. If we look at the "how much do you earn?" thread, it looks like the vast majority of dwellars will not be paying more.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #2097
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe
I certainly don't think the sky is falling but I sure don't want my health care mandated. Offered yes but mandated and fined if you don't is unconstitutional. That isn't a fear mentality that is just a fact.
I can only assume you feel the same way about auto insurance, then?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #2098
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

As a matter of fact, Cloddie, yes I do. Though it's tempered.

It's quite like the biker slogan about "Helmet Laws Suck." They do, but helmets themselves do not. You might have to get a few beers into a stubborn doctrinaire biker to get him to admit it, but unless he's fuckin' with you for the lulz, he will.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #2099
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I can choose not to buy a car. I can choose not to renew my insurance. There would be consequences but I am not fined by the federal government either way.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #2100
Clodfobble

Right, if you drive without insurance you're fined by the state government instead.

It's true that you can choose not to drive a car, and avoid auto insurance. You can also choose to never go to any doctor for any treatment, and while still against the rules, in that case the government would probably never catch on to the fact that you had no insurance.