The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 02-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #481
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
At big companies I've seen a ton of jobs that require a degree, but they don't care what in, or where from, because they're going to tell you what to do, and exactly how they want it done.
That's what we do. It's crazy, but you have to do something to weed out the absolute slackers from people who put in a minimum amount of effort in life.

Last edited by glatt; 02-11-2013 at 09:03 AM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #482
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

To be fair, I benefited a lot from my ejumacation. E.g. I recognised Footsie's little error back there in a moment.

And for employers, a degree is evidence that a person can jump through specified hoops and produce documents of the length, style and topic required, more or less on time, and can stick at a project for three or four years. That says something.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #483
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Yes. Sigh. May I forward your post to my daughter?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #484
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
A -That's a sharky looking graph

II - While a bachelor's degree might not pay for itself, it's the ticket in the door for many jobs. Even if a social worker makes the same as a garbage collector, I think I'd rather get the degree and be a social worker.

3 - If there is a trend to forgo college, the drop in enrollment should cause a reduction in tuition.
A - perceptive
II - think I'd rather pick up the trash
3 - should, with a sh rather not a w
Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #485
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Forward this.

Quote:
Yo, gurl, your folks have dropped a hundred large on your college fees. You've spent YEARS so far. You're so near finished, that to not finish now, is the equivalent of getting "loser" tattooed on your forehead. Except the tattoo would cost about $100 and take an hour.
Finish it, or Imma come over there and slap you up the back of the head some.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #486
orthodoc

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I keep agonizing over this, which is stupid. There's nothing I can do about it.

I can only buckle down to my own grad courses and take care of what's on my plate. But it makes me ill that she's throwing away the chance to get a degree and have a skill (her degree would let her work in different aspects of the equine industry), be able to support herself and never be dependent, and start out with no debt. I would have given anything to have had that kind of support when I was in university.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #487
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Forward this.
Quote:
Yo, gurl, your folks have dropped a hundred large on your college fees. You've spent YEARS so far. You're so near finished, that to not finish now, is the equivalent of getting "loser" tattooed on your forehead. Except the tattoo would cost about $100 and take an hour.
Finish it, or Imma come over there and slap you up the back of the head some.
Quote:
And I'll hold his coat.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #488
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Forward this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I can only buckle down to my own grad courses and take care of what's on my plate. But it makes me ill that she's throwing away the chance to get a degree and have a skill (her degree would let her work in different aspects of the equine industry), be able to support herself and never be dependent, and start out with no debt. I would have given anything to have had that kind of support when I was in university.
No, you can tell her since she's all into re-negotiating (i.e. dropping out) that you'er going to renegotiate as well and give her a bill for the 100 large. You can even make an excel spread sheet showing her that it will take 9 million years working at WalMart to pay you back. Then you can indenture her.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #489
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

The first three are cautionary photos of what happens to girls who don't finish school. The last one is how spoiled she is acting.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #490
orthodoc

The pics are perfect. Perfect. I have somehow raised a Ukrainian princess. Somewhere along the way, as I was trying to keep things together despite all of our family problems, I failed to notice that she was gaining a sense of entitlement rather than a work ethic.

She flies in this weekend for a discussion with her father and me. It will not be a happy time.

Last edited by orthodoc; 02-11-2013 at 11:17 PM.
orthodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #491
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
This is patently untrue. You can advise. This is where you go when your kids are too old to order.

How would you talk to her if she were a friend from one of your classes? You would explain to her in detail all the negative repercussions of her decision - all the while validating that it is her decision to make. But at least you can make it clear what she is getting into.

But you are right to the extent that you can't at this point in her life make her make the decision as you would.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #492
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
This is patently untrue. You can advise. This is where you go when your kids are too old to order.<snip>
Amen...

It takes great patience, but maintain your connection,
and support whatever positive aspects of her decisions you can.

Over the years you planted many seeds, it just takes a while for them to sprout and flourish.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #493
orthodoc

Yes, thank you. I hope to have the chance to advise. What I mean about there being nothing I can do is that she presented us with a fait accompli, so the decision to drop out is not up for discussion. She didn't register for the spring semester last October and let the final deadlines go by before telling us in late January. (She lied to us all through winter break, telling us about the courses she was taking in the spring, how she would be on the judging team, etc.) She can always apply to return to her studies in future; however, with what she has said so far I think the chances are remote. The longer she's out of school the harder it will be to return.

I do want to keep connected, although in spite of saying how much she loves me, she has mostly dropped communication. She isn't interested in hearing anything she doesn't want to hear.

I will let her know that I am always here for her and if she ever needs a safe place, she can come here no questions asked. I see many red flags with the current bf and I believe he will quickly become abusive. I can only hope that she'll be open to listening to some advice and thoughts.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #494
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

deprogramming?

I'm grasping at straws here.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #495
orthodoc

Me too. And losing lots of sleep.