The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Cool Christmas..?

How are we all doing here at the OK Korrall?

I'm depressed (how very rare) and dissapoint the world didn't end as I've spent all my money. and NOW I have to cook, clean and wrap unweildy gifts. and my shoulder hurts (fell backwards into the bathtub, breaking the shower curtain rod as I went down).

anyone else want to bitch?

of course I realize these are no problems at all but have a go at it. I feel better already.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Today is Festivus. You are supposed to air grievances.

I, too, am wrapping and need to cook something.

Bah humbug. Until when i see my family, today and christmas day. Other than that: Bah with a triple dose of humbuggery.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Oh fuck. shit. piss. & corruption.

I want to go back to bed. I can hardly wait for the insanity to end. It's bad enough living amidst siege mentality but now the imaginary attackers are redoubling their efforts.

My patience is wearing thin.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I'm not disappoint that the world didn't end because if it DID and this is the afterlife, what a gyp. Although the sun is all sparkly on the snow today and I could look at that for - maybe not eternity but a long time.

What's Festivus? Is there a designated day prior to Christmas where we're allowed to air grievances? That'd be cool. Although in my experience, 'it ain't Christmas 'til somebody cries.'

Maybe we can air grievances all the way from now 'til Jan. 7. I'll start with: everything tastes like metal! It smells good and then, surprise, it tastes like the bicycle bars at the schoolyard!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Ortho i can't make links from my phone but wiki explains Festivus. I love the history...it was not created just for Seinfeld.

I want to go back to bed too. Feeling the xmas depression a bit. Counting down to see my nieces. Crap i need to wrap and cook look at the damn time!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

bicycle bars?
Old 12-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
orthodoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
bicycle bars?
The long horizontal metal bar about four feet high (maybe three feet, this was elementary school) that you slung your bike handlebars over when you arrived at school. Perfect height for hanging by your knees from if you didn't stretch all the way down, perfect for bullies to mash your face into to make you put your tongue on in January ... you know, bicycle bars.

Okay, I've dated myself. But hey - it was only the mid- to late-sixties ...

eta - found it, Shawnee, thanks. 'The Airing of Grievances' But doesn't that just happen two days later anyway??
Old 12-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
The long horizontal metal bar about four feet high (maybe three feet, this was elementary school) that you slung your bike handlebars over when you arrived at school. Perfect height for hanging by your knees from if you didn't stretch all the way down, perfect for bullies to mash your face into to make you put your tongue on in January ... you know, bicycle bars.

Okay, I've dated myself. But hey - it was only the mid- to late-sixties ...

eta - found it, Shawnee, thanks. 'The Airing of Grievances' But doesn't that just happen two days later anyway??
Must be a Canadian thing. I had to walk to school, uphill, both ways, in the snow, etc. etc. Well, we only lived 5 blocks from school, but it was a steep hill!

So, since you know what bicycle bars taste like then you must not have been a bully, yourself.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
orthodoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Must be a Canadian thing. I had to walk to school, uphill, both ways, in the snow, etc. etc. Well, we only lived 5 blocks from school, but it was a steep hill!

So, since you know what bicycle bars taste like then you must not have been a bully, yourself.
No bicycle bars to hook your bike on at school? Odd ... but as long as you had to walk uphill to school through deep snow both ways etc., I guess you can still be cool.

And yeah ... I wasn't in the bully club. They didn't catch me often, though.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
Nirvana
Back in 10

Bicycle bars ... spinning around on one knee while wearing the mandatory skirt/dress...good times
Old 12-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

bicycle bar bully club

Name:  bicycle bar bully.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  23.0 KB
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Is a bicycle bar different from a bike rack? Because when I google "bicycle bar," this is what pops up...

...and somehow I don't think you had those at your schools, no matter how old school you are.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
orthodoc

Not even in Quebec, I don't think! But I can't find what I'm thinking of on google images either - they all have too many vertical bars. On the Ontario bicycle bars of the mid-to-late '60s, we girls could spin around hanging by one knee with our skirts flying - just like Nirvana said. There was a long uninterrupted horizontal bar between each vertical support. I imagine there were angled supports at intervals, plus the verticals had been sunk about 3' deep in concrete. But the main thing was a long horizontal bar at perfect mini-gymnast height.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
Bicycle bars ... spinning around on one knee while wearing the mandatory skirt/dress...good times
Could you please follow the plot, Nirvana?

I don't need that image in my mind's jap's eye.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
I'm depressed (how very rare) and dissapoint the world didn't end as I've spent all my money. and NOW I have to cook, clean and wrap unweildy gifts. and my shoulder hurts (fell backwards into the bathtub, breaking the shower curtain rod as I went down).
They have taken you for a fool. We all know the world ended with the Millenium on 1 Jan 2000. Money is only virtual. Food is a hologram. And what happens in a bathtub is only a spiritual experience. Happy Holidays.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote