The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #181
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Classic and TW, these latest are not showing the best of either of you.
Can each get some new thoughts - without personal attacks ?
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #182
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Sure as long as its a two way street.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #183
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Why are all the liberal tit suckers suddenly worried about the freedom of religious expression when they continually hammer Christians? Just wondering.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:02 AM   #184
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Not being a tit-sucker myself, I'll leave that question to those it is directed at.
The 'rents' right wing paper is on the case now (as up to date as always!)
There were two letters yesterday from people saying it was an insult to the memory of those who died. One from someone who lost a son on 9/11. Really.

I drafted a letter in response, but caught myself in time. There's no point.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #185
wanderer
Master of the Domain

Not wanting to impose any degradation on any religion, I have to suppress my words but then this "religion" might be the most pathetic and useless term that human culture has raised. Its really bemusing to see a race of certain people compiling one of the largest religious group in the world fail to see that there's nothing sacred about shedding the blood. You don't kill in name of good. Plain, simple, full-stop. Perhaps we should have done better without "gods" and there "non-existent" interference with humans.

Its clear to see that the profound religions on earth are more a product of the politics than the divine interference of some brighter-than-stars entity. You don't have to go beyond wikipedia to notice this. And of course there are better research works if anyone is interested in details.
Perhaps the backward societies still have ample time to sit and wander and create there plethora of meaningless "jihads" when we are busy getting into the our daily races to win the bread. You may keep a man in desert with few others of his type with nothing to do. And besides eating, fucking and shitting, he will come up with his beliefs after a time. True if you go n hit him when he's still coming to terms with rest of the world, he will become angered. But then is this malice justified when the rage becomes meaningless fire in the wind.

The point is........they are not at all in the desert, they are not at all just eating, fucking and shitting around, they have got some logic inside their dated minds too. So how does it become so plaintively simple for them to spread violence everywhere?
Or is it greed that drives them. A dream to rule the world? And that too on the name of God. There's been crusades and jihads, wars and bloodsheds. Perhaps we will never learn.
Sorry guys if this has been like another one of my ramblings. But I have personal reasons to never forget that doom of 9/11.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #186
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The 9-11 crew, and many of the imported al-Qaida fighters in Iraq, seem to be recruited from middle class families. Teenage angst, and twenty something disappointment with what they see their lives ahead will be, I guess.

I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody...
Old 08-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #187
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Why are all the liberal tit suckers suddenly worried about the freedom of religious expression when they continually hammer Christians? Just wondering.
'Most any LTS will tell you that the 1st Amendment covers both activities. The thing is going to be on private property, we have no say. We all have a say about what they do in the public sphere. You've seen how worked up the LTSs get over Baby Jesus on the court house steps, just imagine the response if they tried to put burkas on our daughters. LTSs are your allies in this. Next time you see public dollars going to some Christian outfit and the LTSs get bent out of shape just replace First Podunk Christian Church with First Reformed Shiite Mosque and see if you're being consistent. We can kick Islams ass in the war of ideas but to do it we must remain true to our ideals.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #188
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Dear Griff

Well put, but I hasten to add that you underestimate, nay, overlook entirely the flexibility of such double standards. Every opinion that I've seen that opposes this building plan *IS* consistent, but the frame of reference doesn't extend beyond their own individual interests, despite dressing such interests in constitutional clothes.

Yours,

LTS #59,196,140
Old 08-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #189
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Irrationality is hammered. Christianity bears the brunt because there are more of them in the US, and they are more often the ones trying to make their religion into law. Any Muslim attempting to push for Sharia would (if he weren't simply laughed off the stage) be hammered just as hard.

In this case, what they are trying to do is build a properly zoned building on their own property. What's to hammer?

I've heard it will be visible from the WTC site. It won't. It's in the middle of a block on a road that does not intersect the site. If they ever build the tower, you probably will be able to see part of the roof, but that's true of most of Manhattan.

I've heard it will cast a shadow on the WTC site. It won't. At least one building between it and the WTC site is taller than it.

It's not even on a route to the WTC, unless you are zigzagging through the blocks.

I've heard it's too close. But mosques across the country are protested.

I've heard the guy in charge is a terrorist sympathiser. But he's been sent overseas by the US government as a goodwill ambassador. The quote used to paint him as a terrorist sympathiser is essentially saying that US foreign policy has made things worse in the Middle East.

The argument against the building could be used to say that a Baptist church shouldn't be built near a daycare center because some Catholic priests molested children, and Catholic priests are Christian, and so are Baptists, so the Baptist church is insensitive to area parents.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #190
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

That's the best response yet, HM.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #191
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
That's the best response yet, HM.
Seconded. I like thinking people.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #192
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

HM, that was part of my drafted response (see above). I suggested that no Catholic churches could be built in Birmingham, Manchester, Omagh etc because of the IRA bombs there.

Good point, better made than my drafts anyway..
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #193
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
The quote used to paint him as a terrorist sympathiser is essentially saying that US foreign policy has made things worse in the Middle East.
Well... Um... Ya think?
Old 08-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #194
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

This article has more to do with the recent flood that put 1/5 of Pakistan underwater but it has some relevance to the mosque debate. I am not posting it as a guilt trip but this flood has the potential to be a very large national security risk. If the US or Pakistan does not provide relief......guess who will (and has been).

Quote:
-snip-

Yet, all of the focus on the Ground Zero mosque controversy may now be having the ironic effect of distracting us from a much more important and much more urgent issue in that ideological struggle: the vast humanitarian crisis caused by the floods in Pakistan. The human toll is staggering, and that alone ought to be enough to prompt an outpouring of generosity from the American people.

But if you are not moved by the human suffering, perhaps the national-security concerns will prompt you into action. Pakistan is at the epicenter of the war on terror, and it is hard to see how that larger struggle will turn out well if the Pakistani state collapses and the society plunges into anarchy. The country was already teetering on the edge with a bankrupt economy, severe food and water problems, and an ongoing insurgency in Balochistan. And, by the way, al Qaeda and other terrorist networks are primarily in Pakistan, not Afghanistan -- indeed, several of the recent attempted terrorist attacks in the United States have originated from or had links to groups in Pakistan. Oh, and Pakistan has a sizable nuclear arsenal.

The stakes in Pakistan are exceptionally high and the international response thus far has been inadequate. The United States has done better than most, but we could do more. The most successful things the Bush administration ever did in the war of ideas were the rapid and substantial responses to the Asian tsunami of 2004/2005 and the Pakistan earthquake of 2005. More than anything, our actions confounded critics in the Muslim world (and elsewhere) and thwarted al Qaeda's goal of fostering a war between Islam and the West.

The current Pakistan crisis dwarfs both of those prior disasters, but the international response, beginning with ours, has not yet been commensurate. There are many reasons for that, but maybe one of those reasons is our national preoccupation with the mosque debate.

-snip-
http://shadow.foreignpolicy.com/post..._help_pakistan
Old 08-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #195
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And maybe his presumption that the response has "not yet been commensurate", stems from the fact that the world can't afford it. And if he thinks Bush is so good at this shit, send him.