The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #10141
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Well, it wasn't today, Actually it was last Thursday. The first of my Aunts/Uncles passed away. She was my mother's only sister and the patriarch of the family at 85. She suffered from dementia for a long time. She lived a long and wonderful life. I know she is in a better place, but still. Took a last minute trip to RI with my sister and my parents for the services and to see many cousins etc., some of whom I haven't seen in decades. It really hit me that all these extended parents are getting very old and will be dying soon. Mortality check as I saw her children suffering the loss of their mother. Just ... sucks. My brother's Mother-in-law is also suffering from cancer (FUCK CANCER) and now has some fungal infection in her lungs. She will not last long.
Hug the ones you love folks. You never know when till its too late.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #10142
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Hug the ones you love folks.
And tell them.

Sorry about your aunt, Classic.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #10143
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Thanks Grav. She was a cool cat. She used to sneak us kids treats and stuff. Always a warm hug and a big smile.

Last edited by classicman; 12-26-2014 at 07:55 PM.
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #10144
Griff
still says videotape

Sorry Dude. Dementia is a tough one.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #10145
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Lately the mm, seven, has been complaining of what sounds like RLS, it runs in my family. Poor thing is too young for that shit.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:27 PM   #10146
glatt

That sucks. I'm sorry.

My son gets headaches, and I feel the same way about it. It's not fair.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #10147
Nirvana
Back in 10

In my experience RLS was a nutritional problem, After I started taking magnesium before bed it has never returned. Not being a Dr, I dunno about a 7 yr old. Here is a link I found http://www.healthline.com/health/res...ents#Overview1
Old 12-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #10148
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

It would kill me to have to watch my child deal with what I've had to deal with. That would just be a living hell.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:51 PM   #10149
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
In my experience RLS was a nutritional problem, After I started taking magnesium before bed it has never returned. Not being a Dr, I dunno about a 7 yr old. Here is a link I found http://www.healthline.com/health/res...ents#Overview1
I think it is Mg related too. I had a lot of success with this mineral supplement that I was taking but after a while it stopped working. OR maybe I couldn't find it any more. In any case, I'm taking Gabapentin which also helps me fall asleep. We're going to try the mineral route.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #10150
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
That sucks. I'm sorry.

My son gets headaches, and I feel the same way about it. It's not fair.
Oh god, I know. You can't even do anything with a headache sometimes. Cold cloth? Tylenol?
I'm sorry about that too.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:35 AM   #10151
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Oh god, I know. You can't even do anything with a headache sometimes. Cold cloth? Tylenol?
Not much. If we notice he's had a lot of screen time, we kick him off the screen. Remind him to stay hydrated. We haven't noticed any patterns to trigger them, but those are both good things to do anyway.

And then when he actually gets one, Advil and go lie down. Sometimes he needs the eye mask we keep in the freezer.

Now that I think about it, he hasn't had one since he's been on break. Maybe it's school stress that causes them.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #10152
Griff
still says videotape

Time to find a hippie school? The testing regimen, among other things, is talking any fun right out of school. My kids graduated just as our local schools went full on nuts with the standardized testing.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:52 AM   #10153
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Griff, stop being the giving tree, time for a school that appreciates what a magnificent hippie you bee.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:53 AM   #10154
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

The kids at the school I used to work at would just blow them off completely, especially the ones that were intended to gauge the school's performance and the ones that were used to determine a student's ranking.

It is a very anti-intellectual community; completing HS is for chumps and college is for fags.

It's a lose-lose situation all around.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:59 AM   #10155
Griff
still says videotape

I'm doing more suitable work now helping parents address the behaviors of their children with autism. It's interesting getting fully back into that community. These kids are just so interesting. The hippie school has been suggested to me by various cow-orkers but I'm not a regulatory hurdles kind of guy.

Tags
swiss