The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-09-2001, 08:34 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

8/9: Piece of whale

Many years back an Oregon town tried to get rid of a huge dead stinking bloated beached whale by blowing it up. Which only resulted in huge chunks of whale being dispersed widely around, not exactly the result they wanted. This was not an urban legend; the newsreel-like video is widely downloaded on the net. (It can be downloaded here: http://www.perp.com/whale/)

It's not the same thing, but what you see there are the remains of a 10-meter-long whale after they used an explosive charge to kill it, after it beached itself in South Africa. The local folks found that they could not save it and decided to give it a humane death. They are hopeful that the tides will carry the carcass out to sea.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 09:54 AM   #2
kaleidoscopic ziggurat
Coronation Incarnate

gross!

gross!

if i were working on a set design for an eccentric movie that has a scene that takes place in hell i'd just distribute shining chunks of whale across the beach as depicted...
kaleidoscopic ziggurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 03:18 PM   #3
TheDollyLlama
Do-er of Deeds

Beached Whale in RI

When I lived in Newport, RI, a whale beached itself. It was much more..ahh..intact than this baby here, but even still, it reeked to high heaven. I can only imagine the stench and the insects. Ugh.
TheDollyLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 05:45 PM   #4
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

I wonder who got to set the charges? (Blecccch!) And who had to sift through the 'rubble' to make sure that all the caps fired? (Double bleccch!)

More importantly... who got to push the button? I would have PAID for that privilege! Can't you just hear the guys from the blasting contractor arguing over it??

"It's MY turn!!"
"NO! It's MY turn!!"

I wonder if they had enough humor to put a charge in the whale's spout? Everybody say it together: "FIRE IN THE HOLE!"

Last edited by Hubris Boy; 08-09-2001 at 05:48 PM.
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 11:44 PM   #5
jaguar
whig

Wonder if it would be considered human if i shoved a wad of C4 down your throat and blew you to shreds...

They did hte same thing here iwht a floating corpse - had buggar all effect except to make it list a bit - they're gonan try again with 3 times the charge so i'm waiting for a bit to land on my roof.
Old 08-13-2001, 11:37 AM   #6
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
Wonder if it would be considered human if i shoved a wad of C4 down your throat and blew you to shreds...
Well... once I'm dead and gone, I don't particularly care how they dispose of the remains.

Do you know what to do with C4? Did your heavy weapons training in Cambodia also include basic demolition techniques? Wouldn't surprise me a bit.
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 01:09 PM   #7
kaleidoscopic ziggurat
Coronation Incarnate

i offended hundreds of people by posting that picture in the wrong places =)
kaleidoscopic ziggurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 07:44 PM   #8
jaguar
whig

tut, tut hubis, lay of the patronising tone you ahve developed oh so well, soon as i ahve some time to kill (i'm in class atm) ill scan a few pics from when i was over there. You might be intersted to note the travel spot in the latest or one before time mag had somthing about normal tourists beign able to shot assult rifles for about $2 a round...... Apart from screwing with the usual low grade explosives round here(ANFO etc) and some fun with potassium nitrate i've never used an explosive in my life.

whoops, this one was dead - i thought it was alive when they did that to it...

Last edited by jaguar; 08-13-2001 at 07:59 PM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote