The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #151
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Same here Dani - not re the school (as they have a VERY effective reward system for walk/ cycle/ scoot/ car-share, which must be a nightmare for working parents) but the closer you get to London the more "Chelsea Tractors" you see. Sat in traffic jams, within the Congestion Charge area, carrier/ gym bags on the back seat and SPOTLESSLY clean inside and out. I could be wrong, the fit young lady driving could just have come back from Scotland and stopped off at the garage for a spot of OCD car cleaning. Or from driving along Blackpool Beach, or whale spotting in Wales. But the good chance is she (alone in her 4x4) has just been shopping and perhaps on a running machine.

It's not up to me to tell people how to spend their money, but it seems a shame when having it affects everyone else (ie those with money can ignore the spirit of the Congestion Charge because they can afford to, and are often found in bus lanes because they just HAD to "pop in and pick something up!")

I confess I would have two cars if I won the lottery. My town car (probably a Beetle or a Nissan Micra) for 90% of the time and my big fuck-off Jeep for bad weather and pulling people out of ditches. Each for its own time and meticulously cared for in between.

Oh and a driver...
Am I straying too far from the point now...?
Old 01-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #152
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Either each wheel operates independently. And then tires do not fight each other. And then one tire that slips is the only wheel turning. So, four wheel drives interconnect all wheels so that all spin together. So that no one wheel spins with other not spinning. Wheels must be interconnected to that all wheels turn even when one slips.
This is where you're fucked up, 4 wheel drive does NOT interconnect the 4 wheels to all turn together. 4 wheel drive is a misnomer, it's actually 2 axle drive. Each axle has 2 wheels (except dualies but forget them), and between the 2 wheels is a differential, like all cars.
Quote:
The differential has three jobs:
•To aim the engine power at the wheels
•To act as the final gear reduction in the vehicle, slowing the rotational speed of the transmission one final time before it hits the wheels
•To transmit the power to the wheels while allowing them to rotate at different speeds (This is the one that earned the differential its name.)
So with 2 wheel drive, 1 wheel is actually powering the car, and with 4 wheel drive it's two wheels powering the car. Only certain race cars that operate on loose (dirt) surfaces, or only turn at slow speeds (drag racers), have a locked differential (called a spool) to turn both wheels on the axle together.

Now many (most?) 4 wheel drive vehicles use a limited slip differential on at least the rear axle. Either Eaton's clutch type (like GM's posi-traction), a ratchet type (like Ford's Detroit Locker) or the newer Torsen geared type (developed for front wheel drive cars) so that when the wheel powering the axle loses traction, the power is transfered to the other wheel on that axle. Newer (read high end, more expensive) systems, especially full time all wheel drive systems, use a limited slip differential between the front and rear axles.

Many 4 wheel drive systems, especially in trucks, are designed and built so the front axle turns a tiny bit faster than the rear axle. This is for straight line stability at speed. On loose surfaces it's not a problem, but on dry (good traction) surfaces it can cause increase rear tire wear. This is where that "wheels fight each other" shit comes from. Actually a couple of pounds difference in tire pressure can cause the same condition, but it's not a serious safety issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I live in a tiny village; with lanes designed for single lane horse and carriage use. When I walk past the village school the place looks like a fucking 4x4 convention. Massive cars, using massive amounts of petrol, to ferry a small child the ten minutes it takes to get to school. Thereby making the roads significantly more dangerous for any children whose parents elect to walk them to school.
This has nothing to do with 4 wheel drive, it's a social issue. Scandinavia is loaded (dominated?) by 4 wheel drive vehicles that are no bigger than the 2 wheel drive counterparts. Subaru, BMW, VW, Ford, Audi, Infiniti, Volvo, Mitsubishi, are some of the companies making 4, or all, wheel drive cars no bigger than the 2 wheel drive crowd.

Now the newer electronically controlled, viscous coupling, 4 wheel/all wheel drives sound like the perfect choice for being prepared. BUT, the reality is the are more expensive to buy, and to operate. More moving parts to buy initially, more shit to wear out, more systemic parasitic power losses, although the new systems have cut those losses to a minimum. Plus the fact that in more heavily populated parts of civilization, the roads are cleared pretty quickly, usually less than 24 hours (bare pavement in 36) in most cases.

Therefore, the cheaper/smarter choice, unless you do some serious off roading (damn few do), or you're a survivalist, is leave the 4 wheel drives to the EMTs, or people that absolutely-positively-have-to-get-there, and stay the hell home and have orgies, on the few days a year the roads are bad... or learn to drive in bad weather.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #153
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I might get of these, if they come in baby Pink
Old 01-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #154
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Like all vehicles, they come in anything you can afford.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #155
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
This is where you're fucked up, 4 wheel drive does NOT interconnect the 4 wheels to all turn together. 4 wheel drive is a misnomer, it's actually 2 axle drive. Each axle has 2 wheels (except dualies but forget them), and between the 2 wheels is a differential, like all cars.
Correct until you got to the part about "like all cars If it had a differential like all cars, then the only wheel that spins is the stuck one. So that other wheels will also turn, that 4 wheel drive differential must interconnect (lock) the wheels. Also called limited slip differentials. And more infighting between front and rear wheels.

When trucks had hubs, that interconnection was rock solid. If you drove that vehicle at 30 MPH, you could easily roll the vehicle. So that the today's four wheel drives do not routinely roll over, the differential is not locked as firmly. But all wheels must still be interconnected – causing reduce moving safety. It has a limited slip differential. That means wheels still fight each other. And also increase tire wear.

Why tire wear? Because the wheels on four wheel drive are constantly fighting each other. Increasing tire wear. Reduced traction and control at/above 30 MPH. The compromise. Reduce moving safety so that the vehicle can more easily get started.

Safety is secondary on vehicles designed to have less ground clearance than a Humvee and also be less stable. One icy roads, the last vehicle I want to be in is a four wheel drive where all wheels are fighting each other due to limited slip differentials and another interlock between from and rear wheels.

But those local gossip bimbos tell us to believe differently. As you noted, the limited slip differential is why four wheel drive wheels fight each other - causing less control and increased tire wear. That means less control and less safety. That means less braking and tires more easily losing traction during emergency manuevers. Same thing that increases tire wear also means less control when moving on icy roads.

Which do we believe? Advertising or reality? As DanaC demonstrates, a four wheel drive is not about needing to go off road. In most every case, it's about ego. And this myth that such vehicles are safer because they are higher, etc.

A nearby family suffered last week on the way to FL. She caught the left edge of the left lane on I-95 in SC. Because such trucks are so unstable, it flipped when it snapped back onto the road. Only the most unsafe vehicles with less stability flip more often. One of two kids were killed. These trucks are some of the least stable vehicles. Add four wheel drive to make them even less safe in inclement weather.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #156
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Like all vehicles, they come in anything you can afford.
Yay! A baby pink Panda it is then!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #157
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

On wet grass, mud, loose gravel, sand, snow, ice, anywhere the traction is iffy, tire wear does not occur.

Quote:
last vehicle I want to be in is a four wheel drive
We suspected you had no actual experience driving one.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #158
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
The Germans give more money, and vacation, than the UAW gets here, and have done ok because they've funded those obligations.
And do they have a UAW equivalent there?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #159
TheMercenary

I have owned a 4 wheel drive vehicle or truck since 1985. I would never be without.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #160
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Correct until you got to the part about "like all cars If it had a differential like all cars, then the only wheel that spins is the stuck one. So that other wheels will also turn, that 4 wheel drive differential must interconnect (lock) the wheels. Also called limited slip differentials. And more infighting between front and rear wheels.
Wrong. All cars have differentials. Most of them are "open", which means the power is transmitted to the wheel with the least traction. The "limited slip" differentials transmit the power to the wheel with the most traction. I have them in my 2 wheel drive vehicles. There's no "infighting" between wheels, the wheels take what they are given by the differential, and do the best they can with it. There could only be "infighting" if the power originated at the wheels... duh

Quote:
When trucks had hubs, that interconnection was rock solid.
Stop right there. You're describing an ancient system, most popular with WW II vintage, military 4x4s, 6x6s and 8x8s. They used a locked front differential that was driven full time, with the front wheels connected/disconnected from the always driven axle, at the hubs. If the traction was good and they locked the front wheels to the axle, both wheels have to turn at the same speed, so trying to steer around a corner where the front wheels have to turn at different speeds, all hell would break loose. The hubs could only be locked if it was slippery, or you were going straight.
This system is extremely inefficient and expensive, because of all the moving parts that require power and are wearing out, even when not used to drive the vehicle. After the war, (the big one, WW II), they used a transfer care for the front wheels that could be shifted into neutral, but retained the locking hubs. Early smaller 4x4 trucks used this system, but as 4x4s became more popular with hunters, farmers, and snow plowers, this system was discarded for more efficient systems with limited slip differentials, thus ending the "infighting" between wheels.
Quote:
If you drove that vehicle at 30 MPH, you could easily roll the vehicle. So that the today's four wheel drives do not routinely roll over, the differential is not locked as firmly. But all wheels must still be interconnected – causing reduce moving safety. It has a limited slip differential. That means wheels still fight each other. And also increase tire wear.
I've got news for you, every vehicle on the road has all it's tires interconnected, otherwise when you turn the corner, your wheels might not. They might decide to stop at the tire bar for a recap. Seriously, they are all interconnected, the only thing that's different is the way the car decides which tires are better suited to moving the car in various traction conditions.
Quote:
Why tire wear? Because the wheels on four wheel drive are constantly fighting each other. Increasing tire wear. Reduced traction and control at/above 30 MPH. The compromise. Reduce moving safety so that the vehicle can more easily get started.
You just don't get it, do you.
Quote:
Safety is secondary on vehicles designed to have less ground clearance than a Humvee and also be less stable. One icy roads, the last vehicle I want to be in is a four wheel drive where all wheels are fighting each other due to limited slip differentials and another interlock between from and rear wheels.
Simple fact, if you are going off road, or through deep snow, you need ground clearance. When the traction is limited, I'm glad my 2 wheel drive vehicles have limited slip differentials, and an added bonus is on dry roads I can leave 2 big strips of burning rubber, which pisses off the tw types to no end.

Quote:
But those local gossip bimbos tell us to believe differently.
Maybe the "local gossip bimbos" are aware of the many choices I pointed out to Dana, or maybe just trying to scare the people that shouldn't be driving anyway, into staying home.
Quote:
As you noted, the limited slip differential is why four wheel drive wheels fight each other - causing less control and increased tire wear. That means less control and less safety. That means less braking and tires more easily losing traction during emergency manuevers. Same thing that increases tire wear also means less control when moving on icy roads.
You obviously didn't understand what I said or why. No wait, you probably did, but disregarded it because it doesn't support your campaign to demonize SUVs as the route/root of all evil, and 4 wheel drive as a symbol of SUVs.

Quote:
Which do we believe? Advertising or reality? As DanaC demonstrates, a four wheel drive is not about needing to go off road. In most every case, it's about ego. And this myth that such vehicles are safer because they are higher, etc.
Uh, Dana's people were not going off road.
Quote:
A nearby family suffered last week on the way to FL. She caught the left edge of the left lane on I-95 in SC. Because such trucks are so unstable, it flipped when it snapped back onto the road. Only the most unsafe vehicles with less stability flip more often. One of two kids were killed. These trucks are some of the least stable vehicles. Add four wheel drive to make them even less safe in inclement weather.
"Caught the left edge" means she drove off the road, and "snapped back onto the road" means she did exactly the wrong thing. I wonder if the kid was belted in? It's a shame she killed one her kids because she didn't stay on the road, and didn't know how to drive. Fortunately she can absolve herself of any responsibility, by blaming the vehicle. They have yet to invent an idiot proof vehicle, of any sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
And do they have a UAW equivalent there?
I think they have some sort of workers organization, but they also have the advantage of the European culture of much longer vacations, and government supported health care.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #161
TheMercenary

Quote:
I think they have some sort of workers organization, but they also have the advantage of the European culture of much longer vacations, and government supported health care.
Among other forms of social support which is among the reasons they are in so deep.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #162
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mercedes or Germany?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #163
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mercedes or Germany?
Old 01-04-2011, 06:15 AM   #164
TheMercenary

Quote:
Mercedes or Germany?
Europe.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #165
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
"Caught the left edge" means she drove off the road, and "snapped back onto the road" means she did exactly the wrong thing.
Cars do that without flipping over. But she was driving a vehicle so unstable as to often flip over. What is normal for everyone to do sometime in their life - left wheel goes off the left pavement edge - is only dangerous in vehicles that are also less safe in inclement weather.

Why is a vehicle designed for off road safer than one designed to not flip? Oh. An off road vehicle flipped because it went off road. Clearly the lady is at fault because she should have known how unsafe that truck is.

She only caught the left edge of the road. Only more dangerous vehicles would flip over and kill the kid. How curious. That flipping is most common in four wheel drives. So you blame the driver. How can that be if four wheel drive trucks are safer? If wheels that fight each other (as you admit they do) cause increased traction? Most dangerous vehicle moving down the highway in icy conditions is a four wheel drive. Its only advantage – getting started is easier. Even you admit its tires fight each other - increased tire wear. And now you say that makes it safer? Please. Eight years of George Jr logic was enough.

Reality does not change because tires that you say are fighting each other are also, you say, not fighting each other.

The truck flipped over and killed a kid because unstable flip even when only catching the edge of the road. A safe vehicle would not flip. So you blame the lady for doing what everyone at some time has done. Only unstable – as in more dangerous - vehicles flip. But that makes them saver on icy roads – your reasoning.

xoxoxoBruce - at this point I am only laughing at your spin. Tires that you say wear faster because they fight each other also so not fight each other. You are being comical - right?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote