The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #12
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

3 months in and I’m getting a clearer picture of how things work.

Working 7 days now but on the weekend there no one there to ask questions so it’s often not full days. Work myself into a dead end then leave for the day.

1000 people work in my building but no more than 10-15 work OT.

The greater the challenges we face, the funnier people are at work. Not a great buildup of stress and pressure. No a-holes or bullies anywhere*

Observed lessons , not my firsthand experience...

Corp armed security, polite but firm. Guide newbies into compliance softly, there are a lot of non mil newbies. Do not get cute funny or fresh with security even if they make you very nervous and you try to lighten up the interaction with a joke.

USMC security - as you might expect are a bit more “direct action”. If they bark at you stop immediately. Not one more single step. They are authorized to lay hands on you at their discretion. If they freak you out just close you eyes and stand still. STFU until they ask you something. You are not free to leave until they tell you so.

Do not believe that young female marine won’t kick your balls in if given justification.

The pay is pretty dam good with all the OT. Bruce, I have something for you.

The housing development area is a night time free fire zone. Koreans are the most dangerous from what I hear about the area. I don’t have time now days for a thrill seeker stroll around that area yet but it’s on my bucket list. Let’s see if they recognize a vest worn under a shirt. And what that may mean.

If you are working at the shipyard you are making money, if not, you aren’t. It’s the best game in town. Maybe the state.

I’ve not experienced an oz of Ill will here. It’s pleasant out where I’m at. This area used to be the jungle. Now it’s working low wage. Good folks. I like them. They like me.

slang is offline   Reply With Quote