The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-22-2002, 11:00 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

12/22/2002: Word usage maps

Not as interesting to non US people... or maybe it is?

Many moons ago the IotD featured the Soda vs Pop vs Coke web site, which graphed people's voluntary answers to that etymological question. Harvard has taken this a step further and asked about other words and pronunciations.

In particular I love the HOAGIE result: all of Pennsylvania agrees that the sandwich is not a sub after all. Although we do still have Subways here, and we understand what they're supposed to be, and sometimes we eat them, for the most part we're ordering HOAGIES made by independent sandwich builders. It was, after all, invented on Hog Island for a hearty meal for the working class workers there. And nothing you can tell me will convince me otherwise. I guess.

Discovered by Sycamore... a tip o the hat to the gent.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 11:39 AM   #2
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

The real maps are here:

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~golder/dialect/maps.php

The survey that generated them:

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~golder/dialect/

We only need to discover why "Hog Island" generated a sandwich called "hoagie" pronounced "hoe-ggie" as opposed to "hah-geie"

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 01:36 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Well UT, it was your computer...

Look at those maps on the study site...much more detailed, like the first soda-pop map we had on IotD.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 01:37 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Awesome!

I had no idea that "mischief night" as the night before Halloween was a local thing. (question 110) It looks like Philly/NYC only, except that in Michigan they call it "devil's night". Wow.

And question 117, "cellar" as a term loosely meaning "basement" is mostly from the northeast. I did not know that.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 01:41 PM   #5
elSicomoro

The word has lost some usage, but in St. Louis, the term "poor boy" is still well-used for a sub-style sandwich.
Old 12-22-2002, 02:09 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
I had no idea that "mischief night" as the night before Halloween was a local thing. (question 110) It looks like Philly/NYC only, except that in Michigan they call it "devil's night". Wow.
The difference between mischief night and devil's night is the difference between toilet papering a house and burning it down.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 02:14 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Great data!

I have attempted on more than one occasion to explain to my boyfriend and others the similarities and differences among hoagies, subs, grinders, Norristown zeps and sandwiches, and the overall superiority of the hoagie.

I still haven't convinced them of the reality of tomato pie.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 12-22-2002, 04:00 PM   #8
sleemanj
Infamous Defamer

Re: 12/22/2002: Word usage maps

Quote:

Not as interesting to non US people... or maybe it is?
Being non-yank myself, I'll say it's reasonably interesting, we often think of language differences as being a country thing I guess, probably because NZ isn't big enough to get any serious language differences (besides a couple, like Bach ((pronounced batch) South Islander's term for a holiday home) vs Crib (that's what they call the same thing in the North Island)).

Maori pronounciation is also slightly different depending on whether you are SI maori or NI maori (I'm not maori at all however), but it's been waay too long since Maori language class at school for me to remember what the differences are.

As for the words in the image, around here those would be (in order)...
Soft Drink
err, Filled Roll maybe
llama (pa-jar-mas)
car-a-mel (I can't imagine pronouncing that any different ??)
I think this would be gym shoes

oh and it's AL-YOU-MIN-E-UM not A-LOO-MIN-UM !!
sleemanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 04:13 PM   #9
sleemanj
Infamous Defamer

Re: 12/22/2002: Word usage maps

Just went and had a look at the results, some of those questions are pretty wierd, like this one...

56. Pantyhose are so expensive anymore that I just try to get a good suntan and forget about it.
a. acceptable (27.93%)
b. unacceptable (68.49%)
c. not sure (3.57%)
(8338 respondents)

What's that about ? I don't get it, are Pantyhose something different depending on where you are ? To me they are those things that you (well women, mostly) wear over thier legs.
sleemanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 04:36 PM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Panyhose are equally vile no matter where you are. :P

I can't stand 'em and go to great lengths to make wardrobe choices that don't require them.

High heels too ... I don't have any desire to break my ankle. (twisted one once, falling off a pair of Candies)

Gimme a pair of boots or sneakers anyday ...

Old 12-22-2002, 05:37 PM   #11
verbatim
Vice-President of Resentment

Quote:

Harrisburg too.

Welcome to Pittsburgh, where yins can warsh yer hands in the crick (creek) and then go to the has (house) and eat some dinna.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:25 PM   #12
Tobiasly
hot

Re: Re: 12/22/2002: Word usage maps

Quote:
Originally posted by sleemanj
What's that about ? I don't get it, are Pantyhose something different depending on where you are ?
I think it may be whether you consider "pantyhose" singular or plural ("pantyhose are" vs. "pantyhose is")
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 09:31 PM   #13
Tobiasly
hot

Re: Re: 12/22/2002: Word usage maps

Quote:
Originally posted by sleemanj
car-a-mel (I can't imagine pronouncing that any different ??)
Yeah, I was surprised that wasn't one of the choices. I've heard care-a-mel and car-ml before, but I always use car-a-mel.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 09:37 PM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

it's not the grammatical thing. It is about the acceptability/unacceptability of a woman dressed in a skirt not to wear pantyhose. Nice girls wear pantyhose. Naughty girls don't.

(I didn't look at the responses, but I'd guess that it's an "unacceptable" statement in most of the South.)

Old 12-22-2002, 10:23 PM   #15
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
it's not the grammatical thing. It is about the acceptability/unacceptability of a woman dressed in a skirt not to wear pantyhose. Nice girls wear pantyhose. Naughty girls don't.
You know, if I see a woman that wears pantyhose, tights, or stockings...that's more of a turn-on to me than bare legs, depending on the situation.

It's probably just me.